Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Biting, pulling, help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483416)

Computermama 01-20-2013 06:54 AM

Biting, pulling, help!

For the last few months, DD2 has pulled on my nipple. As in she'll either arch her back when she latches on so she is as far from my boob as possible but still latched on. If she's not doing that, frequently she's then got one or both hands on my chest and pushing me away. It's a constant battle to try to get her to stay close, and I'm frankly tired of it.

And then this week, she has bit me every. single. day. Hard enough to make me yell. I immediately unlatch her and either put her down or hand her to daddy, but it doesn't seem to help. She won't do it again that day, but sometimes the next day, CHOMP. It hurts enough that it aches the rest of the day. I find myself avoiding nursing her because I know it's coming.

Any advice? If these both keep up, I'm going to wean her and try EPing. I am just so tired of her causing me pain!

l_Kimmie_l 01-20-2013 06:59 AM

Re: Biting, pulling, help!

My DS3 did this but bit each time he latched and drew blood. Nothing stopped him and I would get tense which stopped let down, which lead to more biting. Sigh. I ended up EPing till he was 18 mos. He started at 9 mos. It worked out so much better for us. I would do what works best for you.

Computermama 01-20-2013 07:11 AM

Yeah, she'll be 9 months next week. She's never really been an easy nurseling. She loves the boob, but I feel like I'm always healing my nipples from her antics. Between that and getting headbutted, pinched, back hurting from carrying her all the time I'm just so done. I never seem to get a break.

l_Kimmie_l 01-20-2013 07:19 AM

I have an acrobatic 9 month old nurser right now too. He pulls on my nips as far out as they will go, pops on and off all the time, tries to sit and stand and nurse, and otherwise moves all over. He has only bit me a couple of times so far and responds to no well. If he kept biting I would pump like I did before. I cannot deal with bleeding bit nips again.

Spunkify 01-20-2013 07:33 AM

It doesn't last forever. K was a biter (a very persistent biter that made me want to scream and cry sometimes), to the point where she bit so hard once she drew blood and that wound led to Mastitis. She didn't bite after that. Not sure if she grew out of it or finally realized that if she wanted to nurse she shouldn't do it anymore. Like you I would pull her off and put her down.

Keep a close eye on her. If she's nursing for nutrition it's physically impossible for her to bite. It may be easiest on you to only nurse her for nutrition and not for comfort, etc. until she gets over the biting phase. If you limit nursing to for nutrition only she may be more adept to get down to business when she's actually ready to nurse. I did that, to some extent, with K and it reduced the biting.

minkim 01-21-2013 10:07 AM

I am dreading when teeth come in.

tibeca 01-21-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by September (Post 16181837)
Keep a close eye on her. If she's nursing for nutrition it's physically impossible for her to bite. It may be easiest on you to only nurse her for nutrition and not for comfort, etc. until she gets over the biting phase. If you limit nursing to for nutrition only she may be more adept to get down to business when she's actually ready to nurse. I did that, to some extent, with K and it reduced the biting.

:yeahthat:

At that age, I cut all nursing down to when they are only hungry. There is no "hanging out". There is eating. Within a week or two of that, mine quickly learned that mommy is not for playing. Mommy is for cuddling, snuggling and eating. I don't allow that behavior, EVER. It is okay to say no sometimes. It is okay to protect your own body while meeting their needs.