Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dairy intolerance? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483430)

nursemama23 01-20-2013 08:11 AM

Dairy intolerance?

My last two nurslings had dairy sensitivities as infants (both seemed to outgrow by their first birthday and tolerate fine now), well I'm thinking little man may be following in their footsteps. He has gone from poopy diapers at each diaper change to 2-3 a day. His stools are starting to get more green and mucousy instead of yellow and seedy as they had been. He's becoming more restless when napping/sleeping and I find we are cosleeping more (not a big issue but a definite change as he was sleeping in 2ish hour segments in the pnp for part of the night and naps. He's not really fussy just restless. Seems more gassy and grunty, not grunting like he's having trouble pooping but more like he's uncomfortable. He has very dry skin, we only bath him every 3 days or so but his skin is so dry. No blood in stools, only rarely spits up but has spit up more in the last 2 days then in his 4 weeks total. All the symptoms started in the last week. Thoughts?

l_Kimmie_l 01-20-2013 08:32 AM

Re: Dairy intolerance?

I would try to cut out dairy and see if these things change or improve. My son never got blood in his stool but had a definate dairy issue.

nursemama23 01-21-2013 09:05 AM

Decided to cut out all obvious sources of dairy today. Gonna see how he does before I cut out the hidden stuff since his symptoms are fairly mild

minkim 01-21-2013 09:53 AM

My son has a challenge with cows milk. I read about the study that talks about pro-biotic drops and cutting cows milk helping with 90 or 95% of cases (don't remember which). We did that and it seemed to help.

nursemama23 01-21-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minkim
My son has a challenge with cows milk. I read about the study that talks about pro-biotic drops and cutting cows milk helping with 90 or 95% of cases (don't remember which). We did that and it seemed to help.

Probiotic drops for baby and you cut just cows milk? What about cheese, yogurt, cooked dairy?

oldmomma 01-21-2013 12:26 PM

BioGia makes infant probiotic drops. They are pricey. I know Fruitful Yield by us has all kinds of probiotics that need to be refrigerated.

As long as I was breastfeeding, I could do cooked dairy but I couldn't do straight dairy. I would start out getting rid of it completely. It takes a few weeks to get out of your system though.

My daughter still can't do straight dairy but can do very small amounts of cooked dairy such as cheese. I mean small amounts.