Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tips for keeping the hospital bill down? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483439)

SewGreenBaby 01-20-2013 09:20 AM

I need tips from those who've been there, done that! I'd love to know what others have been charged for typical items that can be brought from home. I've got a ways to go but want to be prepared. I have a great doctor who is supportive of me having a natural VBAC, if that makes a difference!

Here's what I've currently got on my list to bring...
Cloth diapers
Natural baby soap and toiletries for me
Baby blanket, I'm assuming they charge for the little striped blanket?
Tylenol.... Not sure what other OTC drugs I may need
Pp pads

That's all I can think of!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

songbird516 01-20-2013 09:32 AM

Re: Tips for keeping the hospital bill down?

Another thing to do is to check the bill very closely when you get it. We were charged for several things that I didn't need and we never used. For my hospital birth we got there at the last minute so there was no time for much of anything. That kept the birth as low as it could go! I understand that you might not be comfortable with doing that as a VBAC, though.

March 01-20-2013 09:36 AM

I was charged for things we didn't use, just because they were available in the room. I'm not sure if that's avoidable?

SewGreenBaby 01-20-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516
Another thing to do is to check the bill very closely when you get it. We were charged for several things that I didn't need and we never used. For my hospital birth we got there at the last minute so there was no time for much of anything. That kept the birth as low as it could go! I understand that you might not be comfortable with doing that as a VBAC, though.

I've already informed my ob that I'll be waiting until the baby is crowning and we'll have it on the sidewalk. :giggle2: I'm hoping to improve my chance of having a natural VBAC by not sitting at the hospital for the whole labor. I also plan to work out some kind of system with dh to keep track of what I use, any meds if necessary and how long we're there.

I was completely unprepared with ds. I didn't have my bag or birth plan with me and everything went to hell. I never even went into labor. I'm hoping this time will be completely different! I don't want to screwed with $100 Tylenol and pad charges, lol!

mommajewels 01-20-2013 09:58 AM

As far as toiletries for you... does that include the pads, panties, perineal ice packs, Prep H, tucks pads, and Dermoplast spray? If not and you intend to use those items post partum, definitely take your own... the hospital charges WAY more than you can find them in a pharmacy. Also, find out how their meal system works. Some hospitals charge, some don't. If yours charges... you may find it's cheaper to take your own food, as well.

ETA: They charge for the newborn care items, too. Bulb syringe, thermometer, alcohol prep pads, wipes, etc.... so consider taking those as well.

SewGreenBaby 01-20-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajewels
As far as toiletries for you... does that include the pads, panties, perineal ice packs, Prep H, tucks pads, and Dermoplast spray? If not and you intend to use those items post partum, definitely take your own... the hospital charges WAY more than you can find them in a pharmacy. Also, find out how their meal system works. Some hospitals charge, some don't. If yours charges... you may find it's cheaper to take your own food, as well.

ETA: They charge for the newborn care items, too. Bulb syringe, thermometer, alcohol prep pads, wipes, etc.... so consider taking those as well.

Thanks! I was completely sedated for my c/s so I have no idea what they did to ds during the 30 I was out afterwards, other than a bath and eye ointment. And I'll have to google the other stuff you mentioned!

DottieHarley 01-20-2013 10:13 AM

:headscratch: we were not charged for any of those items and I checked the bill very carefully.
I did not have an epi so the meds and services of an aesthetician (?) were not required.
We also went home as soon as humanely possible which allowed us to avoid an additional night's stay. We would have gone home even earlier but this was in the middle of a horrific snowstorm and everything was ALL screwy.
They gave us the option of basic vs better meals - we opted for basic and I had DH supplement with sushi :-). On second thought the sushi probably drove our pp costs UP lol!

mommajewels 01-20-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DottieHarley (Post 16182347)
:headscratch: we were not charged for any of those items and I checked the bill very carefully.
I did not have an epi so the meds and services of an aesthetician (?) were not required.
We also went home as soon as humanely possible which allowed us to avoid an additional night's stay. We would have gone home even earlier but this was in the middle of a horrific snowstorm and everything was ALL screwy.
They gave us the option of basic vs better meals - we opted for basic and I had DH supplement with sushi :-). On second thought the sushi probably drove our pp costs UP lol!

It definitely varies by insurance coverage, and perhaps it varies by hospital, too. I've learned the way to tell if we're going to be charged for something is if they have to scan it first. Yes, they partially do it to keep track of how many you've received, but they also do it to charge to your account. :/

mamatoclaire 01-20-2013 10:31 AM

I wasn't charged for any of those things. I did have an epi so there's anesthesia, I also have a few pharmacy charges, and IV. Then labor room - labor, labor room - delivery, and treatment/observation room. Charges for a room totaled $3K. Total bill was about $6K. I assume they included all the toiletries, diapers, etc in the room bill. Maybe talk to the hospital first before bringing all your own things.

AmeliasMum 01-20-2013 10:45 AM

They charged my insur. for everything from the mesh panties ($25 for apack of 2) to the cotton baby hat ($12.) My poor insur pays for everything, but I am such a frugal Mama it pains me to see all that written down. I had a "normal" natural delivery and spent barely 1 night in there, and my bill was over $27,000. This time I am in a different state, and when I sit down for my 35-36wk birthplanning appt with the Hopstial (at least that have that option) I will be asking if I can bring my own supplies, or at least make sure they aren't in my room where I will be charged. I believe it was $19 each PILL for Tylenol last time. I waited through the PP cramping for my Parents to bring it to me from 30+ miles away.