Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New to cloth help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483502)

MomAshcraft 01-20-2013 12:46 PM

New to cloth help

I plan on using prefolds and covers when our little one gets here. My question is how many prefolds would you recommend having?
Thanks so much for the help!!!

momEmac 01-20-2013 01:19 PM

I used prefolds for my DS when he was a newborn. For the newbie stage I recommend 36 prefolds and 8-9 covers. Past that size 24 prefolds and 6 covers works just fine. This is to wash every other day. If you want to go longer between washing then get more. :)

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes. :)

MomAshcraft 01-20-2013 01:37 PM

Re: New to cloth help

Quote:

Originally Posted by momEmac (Post 16182988)
I used prefolds for my DS when he was a newborn. For the newbie stage I recommend 36 prefolds and 8-9 covers. Past that size 24 prefolds and 6 covers works just fine. This is to wash every other day. If you want to go longer between washing then get more. :)

Would you recommend 36 newborn prefolds or the size small prefolds like a yellow gmd?

abunchoflemons 01-20-2013 02:03 PM

Nb. U need 25 to 30 diapers..how that translates I don't know. I have pockets. It depends on how often uu want to wash too.

momEmac 01-20-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomAshcraft

Would you recommend 36 newborn prefolds or the size small prefolds like a yellow gmd?

You can use either, but the size small you will probably have to fold down for a while and they will be a bit bulky. I prefer using newborn size, and my son was 8lbs at birth.

MomAshcraft 01-20-2013 02:52 PM

Sounds great!! Thanks so much for the help.

lady longs 01-21-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomAshcraft (Post 16183044)

It depends how tight ur budget is vs. how important trim diapers are.

Whenever ur making ur cloth diaper purchasing decisions, its important to remember what ur goals are - and keeping ur budget in mind in light of that. Otherwise its like asking if u want leather seats in ur car when car shopping. Well, of course I want leather seats. Ok, can u afford leather seats? That's a different question.

So, I would encourage u to think about these things - there may be more, but none comke to mind right now:
1)what's ur budget?
2)how important is trimness?
3)how often do u wanna wash?
4)how frustrating will it be for u to have to size up and buy a new stash after ur babe grows out?

I used 36 infant prefolds and 6 thirsties duo size 1's and was totally happy. Washed every 2 to 2.5 days.