Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My LO doesn't like to nap (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483598)

MandaMommy2 01-20-2013 05:42 PM

My LO usually doesn't nap unless we're in the car, which is only a few times a week. She'll doze off at home in my arms after nursing, but as soon as I put her down she usually wakes up. Even when she does sleep it's only ten to fifteen minutes 2 or three times a day. She usually sleeps good at night though. She'll go anywhere from 5-7 hrs, eat, change, eat & then back down for another 1-2 hrs sometimes 3. She will be 5 months January 30th. She's spoiled and gets held and carried a lot, but she does like big brothers exersaucer a lot. Do you think she's sleeping enough? My husband wants me to get her to sleep more because I've been behind on housework. I kind of feel like she's still little and she'll sleep more and eat less frequently during the day when she's a litter bigger.

Aubrey<3Gavin 01-20-2013 05:48 PM

How old is she? My DD went through that stage around 8 months I think? No real advice, but you're not alone! It did get better eventually.

EmilytheStrange 01-20-2013 07:47 PM

Sounds like about 10 hrs?

Really just depends on if she's cranky or in a good mood. That tells me if my kid is getting enough rest. Some kids need more than others, others need less.

At that age, though, naps for DD were in the swing or with mom laying with her. We still swaddled, which helped a lot.

Tell your DH that housework will wait and babies grow up :p

MandaMommy2 01-20-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Sounds like about 10 hrs?

Really just depends on if she's cranky or in a good mood. That tells me if my kid is getting enough rest. Some kids need more than others, others need less.

At that age, though, naps for DD were in the swing or with mom laying with her. We still swaddled, which helped a lot.

Tell your DH that housework will wait and babies grow up :p

Most of the time she's just wide awake and really hyper. Then maybe 2 or three times a day she gets grumpy. Sometimes she'll sleep in her swing, but lately she just wants to be held. She just got her first tooth this morning and there's another one not far behind so she's been even grumpier. I worry about giving too much medicine so only give her Tylenol if she's really pitching a fit and nothing else works.

It's just ironic that when I'm out of the house for a doctors appointment or grocery sleeping she sleeps, but when were home alone in our quiet house she's wide awake. Although I am lucky that she sleeps so well at night. My son didn't sleep for 6 hours until he was six months old and shes been doing it since about 10 weeks. He is also very hyper and I remember taking him for a car ride just to calm him down. Maybe I should try music. Her mobile hypes her up, but I have some baby classical music CDs I could try. My mom used to have a relaxation cd that had water noises that I liked too.

I think if she did decide to take a nap in the middle of the day though I would most likely jump in bed and take a nap too lol.

mrseum 01-20-2013 08:56 PM

Do you have a routine for nap time?? Maybe try it a little earlier- before she gets fussy/shows signs of being tired. She could be overly tired & if that's the case they tend to have a harder time falling asleep. If I miss ds2's window (he's 19 months) he'll be up for three hrs past when he needed to go!
& at this time period in your lo's lives the house is always going to be a little on the messy side. You're busy loving babies! ;)

EmilytheStrange 01-20-2013 08:58 PM

I don't know if you've started solids, but frozen grapes in those mesh feeders can be good for teething babies. Or a washcloth with frozen corners.

I also used liquid camilia to avoid Tylenol, if that helps, but some people aren't into homeopathic 'remedies'.

Otherwise, doesn't sound too different from DD was. Naps were hard at that stage and I generally had to swaddle her and lay with her. I'm not a napper, but I'd fall asleep with her and she'd sleep 2-3x longer when she was up against me than she would if I wasn't there.

EmilytheStrange 01-20-2013 08:59 PM

Oh and we did use a heartbeat machine. Still do, actually.

Computermama 01-20-2013 10:23 PM

Re: My LO doesn't like to nap

Mine's 8 months, almost 9, and naps are a battle. So far the only way I've been able to get her to nap is to nurse her sidelying in my bed, tuck the blanket around her really well so she can't roll, and then sneak out when she's asleep, and put the child end of hte baby monitor practically right on top of her. She'll nap in a stroller or in the car otherwise, or in my arms while I nurse her, but as soon as I move she wakes up. At night I can get her to a sleepy state where I can put her down in the crib and she'll go to sleep, but I can't seem to get her there during the day. She sleeps 10-12ish hours at night, and only gets a 2 hour nap about 50% of the time.

I do miss how my oldest was. Wake at 8am, nap from 1-3, down at 8pm for the night. Not this one.

MandaMommy2 01-21-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama
Mine's 8 months, almost 9, and naps are a battle. So far the only way I've been able to get her to nap is to nurse her sidelying in my bed, tuck the blanket around her really well so she can't roll, and then sneak out when she's asleep, and put the child end of hte baby monitor practically right on top of her. She'll nap in a stroller or in the car otherwise, or in my arms while I nurse her, but as soon as I move she wakes up. At night I can get her to a sleepy state where I can put her down in the crib and she'll go to sleep, but I can't seem to get her there during the day. She sleeps 10-12ish hours at night, and only gets a 2 hour nap about 50% of the time.

I do miss how my oldest was. Wake at 8am, nap from 1-3, down at 8pm for the night. Not this one.

I guess some baby's just don't sleep a lot. I'm afraid to try side nursing because I'm always so tired and I'm afraid that I'll fall asleep and smush her. I'm a heavy sleeper and she's still tiny.

I'm hoping when the weather gets nicer I can get her to fall asleep by taking her out for a stroller ride. I would welcome the exercise and maybe she would be a little more content with some extra sleep.

l_Kimmie_l 01-21-2013 08:48 AM

Re: My LO doesn't like to nap

All my babies that actually napped, did so on me. None of them went down in a bed unless it was night on my boob. I am one handed typing while holding a sleeping 9 month old. DH cleans, as I am too busy holding the baby. Once he goes down more I will help more.