Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/21-1/25 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483654)

wordbox 01-20-2013 08:34 PM

Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/21-1/25

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area. You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us.

Week #4

Monday 1.21.13: Purge 5 items from your inbox, or unsubscribe from 5 mailings. (This is a good time to start paying attention to the emails that you tend to just delete without reading, and spend the next week or so actually unsubscribing from them instead of immediately deleting them.)

Tuesday 1.22.13: Purge 5 items from your fridge or freezer. Check expiration dates. Toss anything questionable. If you're feeling motivated, wipe down some of the shelves.

Wednesday 1.23.13: Purge 5 items from your craft supplies.

Thursday 1.24.13: Purge 5 items from your kitchen drawers or cabinets. This would also be a good time to wipe out the insides and give the outsides of the cabinets a quick wipe-down.

Friday 1.25.13: Purge 5 items from your beauty supplies (make up, perfumes, lotions, nail polishes, hair products, etc).

BONUS TASK: Finished everything else and looking for something else to do? Pick one room and wipe down the windows (don't get too picky, just what you can easily get to) and then dust the sills. This is the same task as last week, so if you already did it then just pick a different room.

SenoraE 01-20-2013 08:51 PM

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/21-1/25

I already packed for my work trip next week. I packed a bunch of samples that I will use / toss out while I'm away, so Friday is already checked off! Hopefully I will get out 5 more items. I need to toss out old make up for sure!

wordbox 01-20-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenoraE (Post 16184525)
I already packed for my work trip next week. I packed a bunch of samples that I will use / toss out while I'm away, so Friday is already checked off! Hopefully I will get out 5 more items. I need to toss out old make up for sure!

Awesome!

One thing I've been doing during these challenges is making a mental note of the things that need to be used up (or just have a little bit left in them), and have been making an effort to use them up so I can throw them away. So I'm almost done with some laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. which will mean fewer containers cluttering up the house. Instead of using my new lotion, for example, I decided to only use the almost-empty container of body butter that I had, so then I was able to toss it and only have one lotion now. Just stuff like that will make a difference, without being wasteful.

LionMama 01-20-2013 10:31 PM

Jumping in this week:) can't wait to do some purging!

SenoraE 01-21-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wordbox (Post 16184580)
Awesome!

One thing I've been doing during these challenges is making a mental note of the things that need to be used up (or just have a little bit left in them), and have been making an effort to use them up so I can throw them away. So I'm almost done with some laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. which will mean fewer containers cluttering up the house. Instead of using my new lotion, for example, I decided to only use the almost-empty container of body butter that I had, so then I was able to toss it and only have one lotion now. Just stuff like that will make a difference, without being wasteful.

Me too! Especially samples - I took a half bottle of shampoo and married them all together (same with conditioner and lotion). I have only 2 more single packs of laundry detergent left, then those will be done too! Looking forward to doing the other 4 days today, as it's a day off from work and the rest of the week will be hectic. Hopefully I'll have an update before dinner!

wordbox 01-21-2013 01:31 PM

Oops, you guys, for some reason I made an error and today's challenge is the same as Monday's challenge. Sorry! I am editing it now. My apologies.

edit: Okay, fixed it. Since it's getting late in the day, I made it one that's fairly easy to do or could be done quietly tonight without disturbing sleeping children. ;)

mommyto3sweeties 01-21-2013 01:32 PM

I just found this thread, but I'm in. I'm purging 5 items from my closet right now.

PoshPants 01-21-2013 01:44 PM

I don't have anything to purge in some areas, I feel so proud saying that! Aren't I silly!

I did have a clean out of the kids craft book shelf, too bad I got 3 new learning books to add to it today.

i end up ebaying the high end samples. I buy most of my makeup diret from the company online now and they do amazing free gifts once a month. So I buy in advance and get the free gifts and ebay them. A spare powder or something is small to store and in the end I pay 50% less for my make up!

wordbox 01-21-2013 02:15 PM

Okay, I did my inbox. I had HUNDREDS of emails in there (231 "new") and now I'm down to 26 total (and zero new). :)

I also unsubscribed from 18 (!) email lists. Which is crazy because I did this challenge last year and noticed a huge improvement. Boy did they ever creep back in! I definitely need to focus on changing this.

I did Tuesday's challenge, too, since it's garbage night. While I was making lunch today, I tossed a couple of old apples, a container of peanut butter that was almost empty and creeping in the back, some old frozen waffles, and a small container of sour cream (from a local restaurant we ordered from last week). I also cleaned up some jam that had spilled. Oh, and there was one bagel left in a package so I had that for lunch.

wordbox 01-21-2013 02:16 PM

dp