Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When do you start refusing food? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483665)

TalkinBoutMyGirl 01-20-2013 09:02 PM

When do you start refusing food?

DD seems to be snacking all the time. I know she is going through a growth spurt as she has gained 3 lbs in the past couple of month but I think it's just getting ridiculous. I'm afraid I am teaching her bad eating habits by feeding her whenever she asks. Up until now, she just turned 4, I figured she was growing and what did it hurt if she wanted to eat all day long. But now it just seems extreme. She eats 3 meals a day and still wants tons of snacks between meals. Is it boredem? I'm super paranoid about her learning bad eating habits and becoming obese like me :cry:

ETA: It's 10pm. Since she got home at 6 she has had 2 small bowls of spaghetti noodles and a banana. Her dad said she had already eaten dinner before she got here. She is currently in here telling me she is hungry...what gives?!

Arabesque 01-20-2013 09:06 PM

If I suspect boredom, I offer veggie sticks. I know DS will refuse them if he's not really hungry.

Is it possible she needs more protein to fill her up?

Jen's_4 01-20-2013 09:12 PM

Re: When do you start refusing food?

We only eat at mealtimes and set snack times around here. They are allowed to eat as much as they want at mealtimes--only of the foods that are being offered and they are all healthy. But we don't do random snacking.

If they are complaining and I think they are bored and not hungry, I will offer something that they don't like. If they are hungry, they will eat it. If not, they will wait and stop complaining.

mabelinoad 01-20-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_batten (Post 16184606)
We only eat at mealtimes and set snack times around here. They are allowed to eat as much as they want at mealtimes--only of the foods that are being offered and they are all healthy. But we don't do random snacking.

If they are complaining and I think they are bored and not hungry, I will offer something that they don't like. If they are hungry, they will eat it. If not, they will wait and stop complaining.

same here. My kids would eat all.day.long if I let them. Even if its just carrots, they'll eat and eat!

TalkinBoutMyGirl 01-20-2013 09:16 PM

She refused an apple but accepted a salad. Not that that's surprising as she loves salad. I just feel horrible saying no especially if she is really hungry :(

cdeweese 01-20-2013 09:21 PM

Does she have to sit at the table to eat (no TV or toys)? I found when my daycare kids did this they snacked less often if they had to sit at the table "meal-style" every time they ate.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 01-20-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdeweese (Post 16184632)
Does she have to sit at the table to eat (no TV or toys)? I found when my daycare kids did this they snacked less often if they had to sit at the table "meal-style" every time they ate.

Eh it's about 50/50. She eats good either way.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-20-2013 09:34 PM

My newly 5 year old is the same way, I buy and make sure we have lots of fresh fruits and veggies and he does ask all day for something to eat. I let him eat as many veggies and fruit as he wants in between main meals.

nonipie 01-20-2013 09:44 PM

We have three set meals and two snacks (one morning one afternoon). If you didn't finish your breakfast and you're hounding me an hour later for a snack...well tough wait until snack time. However if they finished their breakfast and snacks and are still hungry then they can certainly eat. I will offer water first since sometimes they are actually thirsty and can't really tell the difference. Also if it's something like crackers then they might just eat them out of boredom but if I say you can have either a banana or cheese and they still want to eat it then I assume they are actually hungry. I figure they can eat all the fruit and veggies they want. Food is fuel so if they need it then they need it. I just try to make sure the only options are healthy ones. So if my 6 year old wants 2 apples I can't see any reason to deny it.