Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Another newborn question... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483722)

3 ladybugs 01-21-2013 06:16 AM

Another newborn question...

Are there any laws on the books that say you have the right to get your child properly secured in a seat before they can make you move the car? I know this sounds silly but when DS was released from the hospital, we had a convertible seat for him. DH had got the car and brought it around to the entrance of the hospital to pick us up. The valet attendant gave us about 30 seconds to put him in before they were complaining about how long we were taking (it is a loading/unloading zone). I am sorry but I don't think even the most experienced carseat tech could put a newborn for the first time in a seat that fast!

I will deliver in PA if it makes a difference. I would just love to show them something that says that I have the right to secure my child.

So are their laws on this or should I tell DH that we will take the newborn to the parking garage when we are discharged?

jjordan 01-21-2013 06:25 AM

Re: Another newborn question...

Honestly I would just ignore their complaints. What are they going to do, call the police or a tow truck? You'd be long-gone by the time the police or tow truck actually arrived. Just fend off their complaints with polite refusals to move (eg "We'll be out of your way as soon as we can!") and don't drive off until you're satisfied with how the baby is in the seat.

Computermama 01-21-2013 07:23 AM

Most states have proper use laws, so it states you have to get the child in the seat properly, accrding to the guidelines set down by the manufacturer. Personally I'd tell them to go pound salt if they're giving you trouble, they're just probably used to parents with infant seats.

Mom2Connor 01-21-2013 08:04 AM

I'm in the camp of tell them to pound sand as well. And frankly I'll bet the hospital would not be happy to hear that a valet parker is telling people to pull away before the child is secure. I'd make some phone calls and next time, stand your ground for your childs safety.

abunchoflemons 01-21-2013 08:48 AM

We bring seat up to room & put baby in there then bring car around to vallet area to put in car. We have 2 lanes.

Mom2Connor 01-21-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
We bring seat up to room & put baby in there then bring car around to vallet area to put in car. We have 2 lanes.

She stated they have a convertible. Not a bucket seat. So that would not work.

3 ladybugs 01-21-2013 09:03 AM

It is a VERY old hospital (actually the oldest continually running hospital in the country) and the facilities are not perfect. The parking garage isn't even owned by the hospital and is across the street. It is in an old part of town (big shock there) so the loading zone and the valet parking is right in front of one another (if that makes sense).

I do plan on asking about this when I get to the hospital but I hated feeling that rushed when I am trying to secure my child. I drive 1 hour to deliver at this hospital so it isn't like I am going a few blocks (not that is right either!).

So basically what I am hearing is if on the off chance they call the police, which isn't going to be far because we have national treasures a few blocks away, then I could tell them that I was making sure my child was secure and I would be in the right?

Mom2Connor 01-21-2013 09:05 AM

YES. The police are not going to tell you to drive off with an unsecure child. I was a police officer before we had kids and DH has been for almost two decades.

Computermama 01-21-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16185809)
It is a VERY old hospital (actually the oldest continually running hospital in the country) and the facilities are not perfect. The parking garage isn't even owned by the hospital and is across the street. It is in an old part of town (big shock there) so the loading zone and the valet parking is right in front of one another (if that makes sense).

I do plan on asking about this when I get to the hospital but I hated feeling that rushed when I am trying to secure my child. I drive 1 hour to deliver at this hospital so it isn't like I am going a few blocks (not that is right either!).

So basically what I am hearing is if on the off chance they call the police, which isn't going to be far because we have national treasures a few blocks away, then I could tell them that I was making sure my child was secure and I would be in the right?

It's illegal to drive away with an unsecured child. So yes, you'd be in the right. A child must be secured properly in an appropriate child seat for their age. Everyone else will just have to put on their patient faces while you make sure your most precious cargo is well secured.

cdeweese 01-21-2013 09:20 AM

I would get in the backseat with my baby, shut all the doors and buckle them in. If they knocked on the window I'd simply say, "Go away!" There is no way I'd move the car with the baby unbuckled.