Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Potty training failure :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483745)

sandy_dandy 01-21-2013 07:55 AM

Potty training failure :(

I don't see a link to a potty training subforum from the ds phone app, so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot.

My DS turned 3 in September. He basically refuses to poop in the toilet. If he only has to pee, he can stay dry all day (although usually he doesn't ask to go and has to be taken).

He did really well with pooping in the potty for a couple of weeks around Halloween/ Thanksgiving, but he has done very poorly since. We had a new baby right after his birthday; not sure if that affects anything.

We have tried EVERYTHING, & I'm so frustrated. :(

Pampered Mama 01-21-2013 09:23 AM

Re: Potty training failure :(

I totally feel for you, mama!
The best advise I can give you- as hard as it is- is to be patient. The only thing that worked with my ds was to completely back off and let him completely be in charge of making the decision- if we pushed him or reminded him, he would refuse. the more we relaxed and backed off, the more he started going on his own. We also had an upheaval to him of adding a new baby when he was 3y4mo- he is finally done now- completely dry days and only an occasional night accident- it didn't start to get consistent until right after he turned 4 in Oct.

The other thing we did that seemed to help- but again- he was completely in charge of it- was a chart with 50 spots on it- and as long as some of the potty got in the toilet- even if his pants were wet- he got a sticker- the frequent rewards throughout the day helped him.

magwich 01-21-2013 10:48 AM

One thing that has worked for me with respect to getting my kid to give up his nighttime pacifier and worked well for a friend struggling with poop issues with her otherwise potty-trained, almost 4 year old daughter, was talking to them about when they would be ready to make the transition. My son said he'd give up the paci when he started preschool - and he did. My friend's daughter said she'd ALWAYS poop in the toilet when she was four and that seems to be working so far.

strongwoman 01-22-2013 05:48 PM

Anything new, especially a new baby will most likely be a cause for regression. I agree with PP, back off, let him take charge. Don't over prompt. He'll get back into the swing of things once life settles :)

sandy_dandy 01-23-2013 07:27 AM

It is so hard to be patient when I see him doing so many "big kid" activities, kwim?

*sigh*

Thanks for the support.

sandy_dandy 02-08-2013 04:45 PM

Ugh... still having issues. He is nearly 3 1/2.

Today we tried big boy underwear. He was very excited. He used the potty right before nap time. Then he wet himself during nap time, but I didn't know until I came in to see why he was making noise (instead of sleeping). Changed shorts, put him back in nap.

Checked again later. He had pooped in big boy underwear & was sitting in a corner, playing with toys. I opened the door, & he said, "I have a accident." I have no idea how long he sat around in it. Put him in clean stuff & back in his room.

Went to let him out of nap time (not that he ever napped). Asked him to clean up his toys so we could play. (There was no floor space he made such a mess playing when he was supposed to nap.) Discovered there was pee on the carpet and on/under a library book.

So. Frustrated. :banghead:

oldmomma 02-11-2013 08:29 AM

Some days are like that. I know it is frustrating. Keep it up though. He will get it.

sandy_dandy 02-11-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmomma
Some days are like that. I know it is frustrating. Keep it up though. He will get it.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

redicccc 02-14-2013 07:29 AM

i think it has few more prob....

ottomamma 04-01-2013 09:39 PM

Transitions are so hard for little ones! My dd was totally day trained and then we moved to a different house. She had a major potty training regression and it took about 5 months to get back to where we had been. It's frustrating, but he'll get it when he's ready. It's a longer process for some than others. Neither of you are failing, every kid just has their own timing with things. Keep up the good work mamma! :)