Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My happy baby has turned into a screamer (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483754)

Mara'sMommy 01-21-2013 08:33 AM

My happy baby has turned into a screamer

About two weeks ago all of a sudden my (almost) 4 month old starting screaming every time I would try to nurse her. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. I was burping her, bicycling her legs, giving her gas drops and colic calm. I finally broke down and took her to the dr and they gave her zanatac saying she has reflux. I tried the zanatac and it did nothing. Let me say here: I am almost 99% sure she does NOT have reflux. I also cut dairy out of my diet. Anyway, now that I have had some time to observe this is I am pretty positive its behavioural. When she starts to get tired she does these little screams. When I try to nurse her to sleep she turns into a demon. She screams, pushes against me, turns bright red, unlatches and relatches. The only way I can get her to calm down is to stand and walk/bounce/shush her while nursing. Then she finally calms down and falls asleep, I put her down and she's awake 15-30 minutes later repeating the whole thing again. I'm losing my mind. I have a two year old who is acting out because of lack of attention. I am lost what to do at this point. Before all this she was a very very happy, carefree baby. I can't spent all day every day doing this. Any suggestions??

l_Kimmie_l 01-21-2013 08:40 AM

Re: My happy baby has turned into a screamer

Sounds like the 4 month growth spurt. My 2nd and 3rd sons did that. It stopped in a few weeks. I had to walk and bounce to keep him calm. Drove me crazy. I never did figure out how to fix it. We just dealt with it the best we could.

mibarra 01-21-2013 08:51 AM

Could be a growth spurt. It also really does sound like reflux is a possibility too. Sometimes a different med works better. I hope you get it figured out!

Mara'sMommy 01-21-2013 09:21 AM

Thanks. Growth spurt could be, yes I was thinking that's a possibility.
Do babies with reflux cry all the time or just when they eat? She does most of her eating at night time and usually only comfort nurses or snacks during the day

l_Kimmie_l 01-21-2013 09:26 AM

My son had reflux and screamed after eating. He was in pain from it coming back up. Once he was medicated for it he stopped crying due to the reflux. He still spit up a lot though.

Yours sounds like the witching hour when they just hit 4 mos and cry for no reason what so ever. The only way for each of my kids to calm down was to walk back in forth in my living room bouncing them. This lasted a good 4 weeks. I thought I would go crazy. I had 2 go through it and 2 not. Four months is a huge growth spurt. They are beginning to exit that newborn stage and enter a phase of infancy that means movement and new awareness.

Mara'sMommy 01-21-2013 11:46 AM

Thank you. I also don't think she has reflux. She shows no signs of it besides this behaviour.

Huxley 01-21-2013 04:42 PM

My daughter dd that when I had low supply and she wasn't getting enough milk.

MsGiggles 01-21-2013 07:38 PM

My second daughter did that, and turned out I think she wanted to go to sleep without the breast. I started feeding prior to her getting tired, and putting her down with a lovey & one of those lights/music thingies instead. She cried a bit still settling, but was MUCH happier than trying to fall asleep at the breast. (DD1 was a total breast-sleeper, so very different experience for me.)

LittleThingsMama638 01-21-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsGiggles
My second daughter did that, and turned out I think she wanted to go to sleep without the breast. I started feeding prior to her getting tired, and putting her down with a lovey & one of those lights/music thingies instead. She cried a bit still settling, but was MUCH happier than trying to fall asleep at the breast. (DD1 was a total breast-sleeper, so very different experience for me.)

Yes!

My current lo started this around three or four months. When he's overly tired he just wants a paci and to go to sleep. He doesn't want to be bothered with eating. So if I don't catch him at the right time he gets a paci and swayed instead of eating.

My lo also has a milk and soy allergy and he does the pull away thing when I've eaten dairy or soy as well. But it's slightly different as he chokes when he does it and he has other signs such as spitting up and mucous and eczema.

Melinda29 01-21-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsGiggles (Post 16188414)

Exactly! I had one that got sooooo angry when I tried to put a boob in her mouth when she was sleepy.