Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   EBFing my 23 mo, what should I do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483956)

MaterofJacob 01-21-2013 06:39 PM

EBFing my 23 mo, what should I do?

DS1 has in the past few weeks really increased how often he asks to nurse. From only like once to 3+ times a day. He's been asking as soon as he wakes up or before we eat and I'm thinking its because he's hungry but when I tell him he needs to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner first and I'll nurse him later he throws a fit. And sometimes he'll only eat a few bites then want to get down. As soon as he gets down he goes and gets the Boppy. It's like he wants to nurse instead of eat, but there's definitely not enough milk here to feed a 2 yr old and a 6 mo. Any advice for how I should handle this?

abunchoflemons 01-21-2013 06:59 PM

Re: EBFing my 23 mo, what should I do?

One side for each. Could be he feels need to be close like baby.... try to remind he is loved...

eliz7 01-21-2013 09:01 PM

Teething? Or fighting something/coming down with something? You will make enough milk for both so I wouldn't worry about that so much but I would think its temporary. I tandemed for a year, it was tough but I'm do glad I did it.

VeganCupcake 01-21-2013 11:38 PM

If you nurse him a lot, you will make enough to feed him as much as he wants--barring some kind of hormonal problem.

My 21-month-old does drive-by nursing sessions, too, and to a certain extent, it is annoying. If he nurses, jumps down to play, and then comes back a minute later to ask to nurse again, I try to distract him with toys, snacks, whatever. Sometimes he gets mad, but we manage. It's part of my nursing manners for toddlers--if you just nursed, mama says you have to wait a while before nursing again.

MaterofJacob 01-22-2013 11:46 AM

Thanks, Mamas. Well he had diarrhea this morning and a fever when I put him down for a nap :( Hopefully this passes quickly and doesn't get passed around the house. He's still playful though, so at least its not too bad. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time sitting and nursing little ones until this passes :P

eliz7 01-22-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaterofJacob
Thanks, Mamas. Well he had diarrhea this morning and a fever when I put him down for a nap :( Hopefully this passes quickly and doesn't get passed around the house. He's still playful though, so at least its not too bad. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time sitting and nursing little ones until this passes :P

I'm sorry he's sick:hugs: Isn't it amazing how he knew what he needed before he showed sign significant symptoms?!?! I love that about nursing my littles(and not so littles). They get exactly what their bodies need as long as we follow their lead.

MaterofJacob 01-28-2013 06:24 PM

Well, he seems to finally be over and now unfortunately I have it. :( It's been a few days already so hopefully I'll be over it soon too. Had to ask DH to come home from work this morning because I was non-functional. He's planning on staying home tomorrow too since I'm still really out of it. I'm really grateful that he can do that. And and with every bolt to the bathroom I remind myself that I'll probably lose some of that baby weight....

MaterofJacob 01-28-2013 06:24 PM

Well, he seems to finally be over and now unfortunately I have it. :( It's been a few days already so hopefully I'll be over it soon too. Had to ask DH to come home from work this morning because I was non-functional. He's planning on staying home tomorrow too since I'm still really out of it. I'm really grateful that he can do that. And and with every bolt to the bathroom I remind myself that I'll probably lose some of that baby weight....

daphnes_mom 01-28-2013 10:03 PM

Oh no fee better momma, that's no fun at all. :(