Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Not sure what I want to do... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483972)

happysmileylady 01-21-2013 06:44 PM

Not sure what I want to do...

My little guy is a little over 14 weeks old. He was EBF with no problems. At around 10 weeks, he took his first bottle of pumped milk. Since then, he's taken the occasional bottle no problems.

Friday, DH and I had a date. We only went to dinner, we werent gone more than 2 hrs. I didn't have time to pump any milk, so he got his first 2 ounces of formula. When we got home, I nursed him, but he fussed, so I gave him another bottle. He woke up once in the middle of the night, nursed fine, and nursed fine first thing in the morning.

Over the weekend, things got crazy and he was fussy so he got a few more bottles. Sometimes pumped if I had time, sometimes formula.

Today, home with all three kids by myself, he was pretty much throwing a fit if he didn't get a let down IMMEDIATELY, so I ended up giving him bottles most of the day. I just simply didn't have time to fight with him every time it was time to eat to try to get him to nurse. I have tired to pump but I admit, again, I just didn't have much time. It's been a busy day.

So, now we have a problem. Of course, a preference for the bottle. It happened very quickly. At the moment, I am struggling to get him to even latch on.

I had this problem with my now 4 yr old, I fought it hard from the time she was 8 weeks until she was 5.5 months old before giving up. And once I gave up, she was a MUCH happier baby. I swore I wouldn't force my kids to nurse if they were clearly unhappy doing so.

But I don't want to be done nursing yet. I feel like, if I can just get my supply up to where I am getting a let down faster, I could get him to take the breast again. I just don't know that I want to invest the time and the energy when there's a perfectly good alternative that he's perfectly happy taking. I have NO opposition to formula, other than the cost. And I don't have a problem with him bottle feeding, I just don't think I am ready to be done nursing yet.

I don't know, I don't know if I am asking for advice or just thinking out loud so to speak.

mibarra 01-21-2013 09:35 PM

Could you do a quick stimulating pump right before nursing to encourage faster let down? I don't honestly know if this is a realistic option, just a thought I had.

Nerissa 01-22-2013 06:17 AM

Re: Not sure what I want to do...

I can tell when DD is frustraited with a slower let down especially by Friday when she has had a bottles all week at daycare.

I would pump or hand express (I never have luck with that but some do) just a bit to get the milk flowing and see if that helps.

What bottles are you using? Do you have the slow flow nipple?

Does he have any kind of predictable feeding times that you could offer when he is not super hungy yet and the slower let down may not bother him as much.

happysmileylady 01-22-2013 12:00 PM

Well that explains it. Or, well, some anyway. AF just showed up. Stupid witch.

Nerissa 01-22-2013 12:21 PM

Aww man that stinks.

gingerpeachee 01-22-2013 02:01 PM

Get a bunch of VERY slow flow and frustrating bottles. <3 Bottle preference is a PITA!

mdm2137 01-22-2013 03:37 PM

I just started having this problem with my 6 month old. I have been waiting her out, but she is my only child so I'm not as busy as you. Removing all fast flow nipples and keeping her on newborn ones has helped a little. I'm sorry :(

happysmileylady 01-23-2013 02:30 PM

I am really frustrated.

AF has really hit my supply. I decided I wanted to try to get to get him to nurse, but my supply is in the tank. I am trying to bring it back up. I have been pumping every two hours, since yesterday morning. I have been taking blessed thistle and fenugreek too. I started out pumping like a quarter to a half an ounce at a time, and I have seen NO improvement at all. He's taking 4 ounces every 4ish hours from the bottle, clearly it's been mostly formula since it took almost a whole day to get 4 ounces pumped. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. Ironically, he latched on twice today, which is good, but he didn't have the patience to wait for the letdown, which is taking 3 to 5 minutes when I pump. If I could get the supply back up, I am sure I could get him to nurse again.

At this point, I am out of formula, I have an ounce in the fridge and that's it. I am going to have to go buy some more formula, and I so did NOT want to be buying formula for this little guy. I didn't want to spend the money.

As for bottles....we are only using one bottle for him. It's a NUK with the slowest nipple they make. When he is done with it, I wash it out and get it ready for the next time. Is there a better one to use to fight a bottle preference?

I have also considered making the bottle lukewarm instead of fully warming it up, so that if he wants it nice and toasty he has to get it "from the tap." I dunno.

cdeweese 01-23-2013 02:37 PM

I know you're busy with the other kids, but if you want to make it work I'd stop giving bottles for now (and not buy any more formula). For me, AF is back right away down to the tanking supply and sore nipples. That meant constant nursing and more night feeds initially. But we made it to 11 months w/o incident after an initial setback. You can do it, you just have to decide how much effort you're willing to give it before the stress is too much :hugs: Remember that no matter what your decision, you are trying the best you can and that's enough :)

Pixi6s 01-23-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdeweese (Post 16196377)
I know you're busy with the other kids, but if you want to make it work I'd stop giving bottles for now (and not buy any more formula). For me, AF is back right away down to the tanking supply and sore nipples. That meant constant nursing and more night feeds initially. But we made it to 11 months w/o incident after an initial setback. You can do it, you just have to decide how much effort you're willing to give it before the stress is too much :hugs: Remember that no matter what your decision, you are trying the best you can and that's enough :)

This. He isn't getting much per feeding then he has to feed more often. So sorry you are having issues. :(