Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Electric vs Manual Pumps (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484021)

lynn97 01-21-2013 09:39 PM

Electric vs Manual Pumps

I bf DS but only for a few weeks due to medical issues. I have a manual Medela pump
(the Swing, maybe?) and a Medela Freestyle that I bought from a friend (who I completely trust). She had issues with her original Freestyle and ended up getting a new one under their warranty. The new one is the one I have and it was only used for a couple months. My question is, the Seing pump seems to have a lot more suction. Is this normal/right? Also, I had the auction turned up all the way on the Freestyle. She seemed to think it was fine and it worked well, so I suspect it is fine. She actually had another Freestyle before her original two and it got ruined because of a mistake on her part. Anyway, thought? I'm pg with #2 and wondering if I should get a different one...,

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

jaelynsmommy61607 01-21-2013 09:44 PM

Both pumps are electric. I think you mean single vs double? The swing is the same auction as the freestyle. However of you look at reviews the free styles has a lot of problems with suction. Are you anticipating needing to pump long term? Or will you be returning to work? If so I'd plan on getting a new pump. The swing is a good pump but I wouldn't EP with it.

lynn97 01-21-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607
Both pumps are electric. I think you mean single vs double? The swing is the same auction as the freestyle. However of you look at reviews the free styles has a lot of problems with suction. Are you anticipating needing to pump long term? Or will you be returning to work? If so I'd plan on getting a new pump. The swing is a good pump but I wouldn't EP with it.

No, sorry. It is the Harmony. It is definitely a manual pump. I know the other one is definitely the Freestyle. I will be returning to work PT but the baby will be with me, at least at first. I hope to BF long term. And I would like to do some bottles after we get BF established.

jaelynsmommy61607 01-21-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn97 (Post 16188917)

No, sorry. It is the Harmony. It is definitely a manual pump. I know the other one is definitely the Freestyle. I will be returning to work PT but the baby will be with me, at least at first. I hope to BF long term. And I would like to do some bottles after we get BF established.

Ok that makes more sense. I've read nothing but terrible reviews on the free style. I'd look at a swing for occasional use. Or a medela Pisa or Hygeia enjoye for multiple pumping sessions per day. I do think manual pumps have more suction.

mamabby 01-22-2013 07:53 PM

It could be that you need to replace the little white membranes on the electric pump. That will decrease your suction when they are going bad. As far as going back to work having a double electric saved me so much time. I used a Pisa.. Nothing but good things to say about it. If you change the membranes and still don't get suction I'd look into getting another pump

MrsNessy 01-22-2013 09:24 PM

Re: Electric vs Manual Pumps

I had the manual one and it took me a hour just to get three ounces. After a couple weeks I felt like I was getting arthritis? I was on antibiotics and stopped bf for a few days. If you are only going to use it once a day and you have an hour to pump then it would be fine. Luckily someone now have me the symphony which has been amazing. I does get condensation in the tubes like I read the freestyle does but what I do is just after I pump I disconnect the bottles and let it run for a few minutes and it dries up.

somer 01-23-2013 04:02 PM

Re: Electric vs Manual Pumps

most of the time suction issues are solved with replacing the membranes, i did have a small crack in the hose ( i just bought a new peice of hose from the local hardware store and it was mint). I have the Medela Free style - I absoultly love it - highly reccomend to anyone. I breast feed my LO but since ive incorportated pumping im able to freeze an extra 10 oz/ day