Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   unassisted home birth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484209)

KLadyBugMama 01-22-2013 01:21 PM

unassisted home birth

Hi.. I'm TTCing for my first lil one and I was curious about if anyone here had an unassisted home birth. I'm really curious about your experiences, what supplies you had on hand.

I'm hoping if I'm not at risk, I'll just have the baby at home in a water birth.

Thanks!

gingerpeachee 01-22-2013 05:05 PM

Re: unassisted home birth

This site has some kits that might be helpful to you-
http://www.everythingbirth.com/Custom-Birth-Kits.html

This is the supply list my local home birth midwives use-
http://www.riverandmountain.net/forms/Supply_List.pdf

There are a few DS mamas who have had unassisted births, I believe a few of them have "UC" in their siggys (I think it stands for Unassisted Childbirth).

Personally, this is not something I would ever consider, but I don't know the type of maternity care that is available to you in your area.... the first time can be really hard, make sure you have plenty of support. For me, no matter how much I read about it there was just nothing that could have prepared me for my first birth.

Green Decals 01-22-2013 05:24 PM

I totally hear you on wanting to go UC. I planned on that with my first if a certain doc was on when I went into labor. That doc wasn't, and baby came early, so we did go to the hospital. I should have just stayed home. Second baby was homebirth with a midwife, and I am glad I had her here as I did lose a bit too much blood. Third baby (due any time) will be attended by the same midwife. If we had to have a baby unattended, we would be fine with it. I do like the convenience of having my midwife here, she is so helpful. We are only a few minutes from the hospital, some suppose that is a factor too. You have to choose the birth that is right for you. My one key piece of advice is to not tell people your plans. You will get all kinds of horror stories, and for that matter don't let anyone tell you about their horrible labors - THEIR birth is not YOUR birth. Research your options and decide what is right for you. Yes, there are risks to a homebirth... There are also risks to hospital interventions. Birth is a natural process and must be respected as such.

raisingcropsandbabies 01-22-2013 05:56 PM

Why are you not wanting a midwife present at least? How do you plan to know you are at risk in labor or during pregnancy (if you can't find someone for prenatal care)?

Green Decals- Your midwife sounds like she was more than "convenient" in your last birth... she was needed! Good luck on #3! :)

I do not support UC (if you didn't catch that already!) in the least. haha. Without our midwife at my first birth, my son would be dead. Not a horror story, but reality. She pulled him out when he was stuck and rescusitated and gave him oxygen, plain and simple... Like a PP said, nothing I read or studied for could have prepared me for my son's shoulder dystocia or need for help after he was freed. Back before I even had a child and went to a Midwife's Assistant workshop headed by The Farm Midwives in TN, it was really interesting to hear Ina May Gaskin and the other midwives (who are very respectful of the natural birth process) reasonings for never going unassisted.

I found this article very interesting of one midwife's shift of view...
http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespac...o-anti-uc.html

I know I'm not the person you wanted to respond to your post... just a mama who cares about healthy mamas and healthy babies too.

roseyroberts 01-22-2013 06:17 PM

I am not against unassisted birth. I have considered it myself. With that being said..i would be very hesitant to do it with a first baby. With a first baby you really don't know what birth is like or how you will handle it until you have done it. I could be wrong about that...that might not be a sound reason not too do it.... I was very young with my first baby. I am sure there are moms who have done it and would dissagree with me. I hemoraged with my first and would have been in trouble without my midwife. My uterus came barreling out along with my second baby and if it hadn't been for my midwifes knowledge I likely would have bled out before help could have arrived. But I had uneventful 4th and 5th deliveries at home after a csection with my third... With this baby I considered UC because I felt like my body could do it. And financially we are having an awful time paying for our midwife and I wont even consider birthing in a hosptial unless medically necessary! But my hubby said "not a chance!" on going UC. He isn't as comfortable with the birthing process as I. Lol. I hope you success in whatever you decide! :)

KLadyBugMama 01-22-2013 06:19 PM

Thanks everyone who replied so far! I'm actually open with midwives and am researching that as well. I was just curious. I do not want to have my child at the hospital due to my milk protein allergy and latex allergy. I already had bad experiences that I never want repeated again.

However, if I had to choose a hospital to deliver at, it would be Mercy hospital in Baltimore. They offer water births! But it's about 45 minutes drive.

There's one in Southern Maryland but it's a bit of a drive so I would have to have the baby at the birth center.

There's one in Silver Spring that people have told me it's not recommended.

Plus, my insurance doesn't cover home births or midwifery. So I would be footed with the entire bill.

There's 2 hospitals within 5 minutes and 15 minutes near my home.

So I was just researching everything and see my options.
I probably will go with a midwife but I just wanted to see what people's experiences, thoughts, whether positive or negative :D

KLadyBugMama 01-22-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 16192481)
Why are you not wanting a midwife present at least? How do you plan to know you are at risk in labor or during pregnancy (if you can't find someone for prenatal care)?

Green Decals- Your midwife sounds like she was more than "convenient" in your last birth... she was needed! Good luck on #3! :)

I do not support UC (if you didn't catch that already!) in the least. haha. Without our midwife at my first birth, my son would be dead. Not a horror story, but reality. She pulled him out when he was stuck and rescusitated and gave him oxygen, plain and simple... Like a PP said, nothing I read or studied for could have prepared me for my son's shoulder dystocia or need for help after he was freed. Back before I even had a child and went to a Midwife's Assistant workshop headed by The Farm Midwives in TN, it was really interesting to hear Ina May Gaskin and the other midwives (who are very respectful of the natural birth process) reasonings for never going unassisted.

I know I'm not the person you wanted to respond to your post... just a mama who cares about healthy mamas and healthy babies too.

I welcome all opinions!! :D thanks for the link.. Wow... that hit home..

Nickel+3 01-22-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithfulorangekids
Hi.. I'm TTCing for my first lil one and I was curious about if anyone here had an unassisted home birth. I'm really curious about your experiences, what supplies you had on hand.

I'm hoping if I'm not at risk, I'll just have the baby at home in a water birth.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't do a uc for my first child. Too many unknowns. Now a homebirth with a midwife...heck ya!

gingerpeachee 01-22-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 16192481)

Great link!

Green Decals 01-22-2013 06:49 PM

I should have clarified - with our medical backgrounds and resuscitation equipment on hand, DH and I were/are cool with having an unattended birth... The "convenience" of a midwife is that we don't have to be as "on the ready" and can enjoy the bliss of it all while the midwife tends to all of our needs.

OP - It's worth every blessed penny to pay out of pocket for a homebirth!