Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   cause of homemade diapers wicking through threading? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484226)

aryaya 01-22-2013 02:55 PM

cause of homemade diapers wicking through threading?

I am really disappointed but atleast have not made too many yet. I've noticed the few I've made are wicking through the threading right at the leg area. I use the Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP and organ ballpoint embroidery needle 90/14. I tack down the elastic between pul and suedecloth (pocket/AI1 hybrid) and then I topstitch all the way around, creating a casing for the elastic as I pass by the leg area and back.

I can't think of anything but 3 causes... thread? needle is too big? I'm pulling too much when trying to straighten the leg area as I case around the elastic? It can't be soap build up cuz I just made these diapers.

It's definitely wicking through the thread at the leg and not through the leg opening itself.

Any thoughts? I was just about to begin making a new diaper but I can't until I figure this out!

mgmsrk 01-22-2013 03:42 PM

Re: cause of homemade diapers wicking through threading?

Did you wash and put them in the dryer after sewing?

BubBubsMom 01-22-2013 03:58 PM

Maybe the type of thread? I've heard to use polyester cause cotton wicks

ButtRpies 01-22-2013 04:01 PM

Its likely that you 're using cotton thread and you need to use poly only for pul dipes. Also make sure you're using ball tip needles and not the sharp tips (holes too big). I did the same thing when I started making dipes;-)

Rdesonia 01-22-2013 04:02 PM

You need to put them in the dryer to re-seal the pul. So if you put them on before you washed them... That might be the issue. After you wash and dry them, I bet they won't leak.

Rdesonia 01-22-2013 04:05 PM

Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP is polyester thread. it should be fine to use.

Mama*Kim 01-22-2013 06:38 PM

Even some of my commercial diapers have done this if wet enough. Are in inserts totally soaked before they leak through? If so, its not a stitching issue, but an insert issue.

Mama*Kim 01-22-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia
Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP is polyester thread. it should be fine to use.

Ditto this.

aryaya 01-22-2013 08:59 PM

exactly - I am using polyester thread. Made sure of that before sewing. And the needle I am using is a organ ballpoint embroidery needle 90/14.

I've had them on my little one just a few times ... and washed and dried the few times in between so I'm not sure it's a heat resealing pul issue thing- as they've been washed and dried a few times.

The inserts I used were actually inserts I'd been using in my pocket diapers, so they were trusted and broken in. And not any more or less than what I use when using the pocket diapers they came with.

Still not sure what's going on ... ?! ugh. :banghead:

Just too much pee? :headscratch: I have a hard time thinking that since my other diapers that I've bought don't do this.

BldrArch 01-22-2013 10:29 PM

I use a size 75 BP needle and Gutterman all purpose polyester thread. The one time I was having leak issues through the stitching was when I didn't have enough absorbency. The only other thing I can think of is be sure to use elastic that doesn't have any cotton in it. And a good tumble in the dryer on high heat after sewing helps.

Sent via iPhone using DS Forum (yes, I'm that addicted)