Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   How important is finishing the school year before the baby comes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484237)

3 ladybugs 01-22-2013 02:16 PM

How important is finishing the school year before the baby comes?

I just figured out my next 2 months and allowing for days I know I will get no school work done because of morning appointments (DS still naps), I have a week of grace period before when I think my c-section will be, if we were to do 5 days a week school week every week thereafter what I have already planned! :thud: DH will do school work on the weekends sometimes but this may be too much of a mountain for us.

I have several more months of the online stuff after the baby comes. Should I just play this by ear and see how far we get? I have to have a c-section (which due to scar tissue I am not expecting a quick recovery) but I would think I would be back to "normal" within a month right? I was driving with DS (therefore NO pain meds) within 2 weeks (also a c-section).

Full disclosure we are doing Kindergarten with DS who will be 5 at the end of September. He does well with it, it is just that I am busy with doctors. :rolleyes:

Kiliki 01-22-2013 02:35 PM

Re: How important is finishing the school year before the baby comes?

I think it may be better to get what you can done and then plan for a month off after the baby comes.

We just started HSing this year, too. Actually, we just started officially doing it in December (prior to that we were using public school online - which was very rigid). I am HSing a 4 yr old and my 6 yr old (she turns 6 in 5 days). We actually are just getting over a month-long, unplanned break due to our kitchen/house issues. (rmbr my kitchen thread? lol) We just started the new curriculum we had picked out (planning to start using it in Dec), on January 14th. So far it's going very well, but I feel awful about taking such a long break for no good reason.

I think if I could have somehow saw what was coming and planned to take such an extended period off, it would have helped. I could have trimmed down lots of lessons, come up with ways to do them without the use of our main living space, though outside of the box for some things, or totally nixed others....

so that is where my advice comes from. I think if you can plan to take the time off, you should. Maybe keep up with some small things - like reading together each day, coloring together each day, do some simple math with skittles... or something small, everyday. Just keep a record of it. But you will be prepared for it, so it shouldn't be as big a deal - esp at such a young age. :hugs:

(btw, I'm also getting ready to have a baby in about 6 weeks, so I am overwhelmed trying to think of how we will finish all of our schoolwork by the end of the year this year, when we have already taken so much time off, and are planning to take more!!!)

tallanvor 01-22-2013 03:53 PM

At that age, you can easily play it by ear. Also, depending on what you are covering, you could scale it back. I am assuming he is doing kindergarten work, which for us is reading and math. Anything else that gets done is a bonus, so 30-45 minutes a day, which should be doable.

stevensmom 01-22-2013 03:57 PM

Play it by ear...no need to stress yourself out :)

3 ladybugs 01-22-2013 04:16 PM

We are doing math, language, science, phonics, games, art, and so on. Not all of it is done everyday but it is rather complete. It normally takes us 1-1.5 hours a day.