Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sometimes being the mean mommy is so hard (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484300)

ulawolf 01-22-2013 05:16 PM

Sometimes being the mean mommy is so hard

So my 2.5 year old has been horrible with going to bed lately. She will say she has to pee,poop, get this, get that, tell me just a second. So I set the timer tonight and told her she had five minutes until bed so we needed to go potty and give kisses. She went pee (went poop.earlier) she gave kisses and brushed her.teeth. when the timer went off I told her we needed to get jammies on for bed. She quickly ran to the potty and said she had to pee, and then poop. So I set the timer for 2 min and told her if she did not.come by the timer she couldn't have one of the three of her books. Timer went off I said we had to go.to bed ..she said she had.to go poop (again I know she.doesn't she's very regular) I said ok you havr lost oink oink to read but still have.two more so lets go so we can read. Nope..set the timer again. Again told her I needed her to come get jammies on. Again she said no. Again took book. Again went through the positive that she still had one book. Again set timer again timer.goes off. Just as I am putting book away she comes running "no mommy no book away. timer still ringing. I here read"

If course now that we have read she is in her room crying to read her other books. I did tell her we could read them tomorrow if she made better choices.

I get she doesn't totally get it but im really tired of her making bedtime an hour long power struggle.

DottieHarley 01-22-2013 05:21 PM

Oh mama... I totally sympathize! We are just getting to that point with DD... Water, blanky, the OTHER blanky, socks on, socks off...
We have not really started PLing nor have we started the crib to bed transition, and I am anticipating a few disastrous months to come.
:hugs: it is hard to feel mean!

mmmom 01-22-2013 07:17 PM

It is so hard but it will be worth it in the end. My kids are able to read the number on the digital clocks and know if they are not ready for bed at 7:45pm I don't read. They have a checklist of things that need to be done. It is rather effective because I fought that fight when they were little. However my daughter has been caught lying about being ready and that resulted in her losing 15mins off bedtime

MsGiggles 01-22-2013 07:25 PM

Re: Sometimes being the mean mommy is so hard

Good for you, mama! And :hugs: because it is so hard!

chandni3 01-23-2013 06:13 AM

Just remind yourself you're preparing her for being a good student for her teachers and employee for her future bosses one day. :) She's learning to meet deadlines.

l_Kimmie_l 01-23-2013 07:30 AM

After a couple of times, I am sure she will get it. Great job following through.

mcpforever 01-23-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawolf (Post 16192319)
I get she doesn't totally get it but im really tired of her making bedtime an hour long power struggle.

I'm sure she understands cause and effect, but she probably doesn't understand why she can't convince you to do what she wants.

:hug: Hang in there. It's hard to hear our little ones sad, but remember that she is sad because of something she did and not something you did.

leadmare 01-23-2013 11:16 AM

Hugs, mama. Hope it gets better soon.

Fitter 01-23-2013 11:52 AM

I hear ya! But good job sticking to your guns, she'll pick up quick that if she wants to read she needs to be ready.

cammyM 01-23-2013 01:34 PM

mybe try making it a game? put on a song and she has to try to be in bed ready for story before the song ends? good luck :)