Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Moms of Many or Multiples (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Help!! Name calling is driving me CRAZY (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484384)

MT Momma 01-22-2013 11:13 PM

Help!! Name calling is driving me CRAZY

Help please!

My 4.5yo and almost 3yo are name calling both to each other (which they think is hilarious) and also to me. In the past when this happened I ignored it. If they did it 3 times after being counted, they went to time out and it was over and done...but now they are cracking each other up so they are always getting approval feedback from each other :Banghead:

And it DOESN'T STOP...ALL DAY LONG!

I can't effectively tell one to stop laughing at the other...that just brings on the nervous laughter, and ignoring it doesn't work anymore since they are trying to one-up each other.

Please, any words of wisdom, or BTDT advice?? Thank you thank you thank you!!!

lizdanielle 01-22-2013 11:27 PM

What would happen if you tried time out again?

MT Momma 01-22-2013 11:56 PM

Re: Help!! Name calling is driving me CRAZY

Well the 4 year old has spent up to 40 min straight in time out... We don't start timeout timer if there is stomping, door banging, screaming, etc... The younger one will sit in her timeout nicely, but thn start te obnoxious business about 5 minutes later. Ugh.

lizdanielle 01-23-2013 07:30 AM

Hmmm what about positive reinforcement...? If they just happen not to do it for two mins, do the whole "I love how both of you are being so nice to each other". If they won't just do it on their own set the timer for "nice time" (?) before they get something they want. Then plenty of praise if they make it through the timer.

MT Momma 01-23-2013 09:07 PM

I like the nice timer idea! Thanks!

HeatherlovesCDs 01-24-2013 11:13 PM

How about separating them? My kids will start to play off of each other with stuff like name calling or "potty talk" (talking about diapers and poop and what have you). I send them to completely different areas where they cannot see each other. For us, it happens a lot during breakfast or lunch. So, I'll send one to the dinning room (instead of our eat-in kitchen) and if I have to, I'll send another to the kitchen floor behind our kitchen island where they can't see anyone. In the summer, I've been known to have one sit out at the table on the deck. I've threatened to do that in the snowy winter, but they just laugh and tell me I am joking (which I am...sort of. ;)).

Or, could you direct them to more appropriate funny talk, like knock knock jokes. I got my kids started on those and on the "why did the _____ cross the road?" Now, they think it is funny to make up their own. Of course, they all think it is hilarious even when their jokes make no sense. But, the point is, it isn't name calling or potty talk making them laugh. It is just good old fashion silliness. :)

Just some thoughts. Hope you find something soon because I'm sure it is driving you bonkers. Kids can be so irritating sometimes. :hairpull: and :laugh: