Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   combi coccoro or chicco keyfit 30? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484411)

2wonderfulboys 01-23-2013 01:03 AM

combi coccoro or chicco keyfit 30?

I am having a hard time deciding on an infant seat or convertible seat for the new baby. I will have an almost 2yr old when baby arrives. He is a handful-if that matters. Pros and cons on skipping a infant seat? If this matters at all as well we have cold winters and hot summers :) TIA

Farmer's Wife 01-23-2013 11:59 AM

Re: combi coccoro or chicco keyfit 30?

I love love love the Chicco keyfit! It's really great having an infant seat when you have a toddler. Mine are 15 mths apart and it saved me for when I had to go out with both of them.

jjordan 01-23-2013 01:04 PM

With a 2 year old, I found an infant seat to be invaluable. Others have had different experiences. But, one example is grocery shopping...

IF you plan to babywear while you're grocery shopping, then you pretty much have to park right next to a cart corral so that you can put the toddler in the cart before you put the baby in the sling/carrier. Unless you are able to get a toddler in and out of his/her car seat WHILE babywearing, which I never was very comfortable with, because of squishing the baby while trying to wrangle a wriggly toddler. So, that's grocery shopping while babywearing with a newborn and toddler. Compare to grocery shopping with an infant seat - put the infant seat in the main part of the grocery cart, put the toddler in the child seat, and pack groceries every which way into the available cart space. I found it to be much more do-able to use the infant seat.

The older child is not a factor in the other good reason for an infant seat, which is weather. With cold winters and hot summers, it's just nice to be able to put your infant into his/her seat at room temperature rather than when it's freezing cold or burning hot from being in the car.

The main cons of an infant seat are spending $$ on a seat that you're not going to use very long. (Though, if the convertible you're considering is a Combi Coccoro, then honestly it won't last all that much longer than a big infant seat.) If you plan to have more kids, or get a seat with good Craigslist resale value, then the cost factor is mitigated somewhat.

HTH!

MiaAnjuli 01-23-2013 05:41 PM

I skipped the infant seat and got the combi. I did not want to be carrying a bucket seat and try to keep a toddler contained and safe in busy areas. I choose to wear the baby instead. I started with wraps, and than went to the beco Gemini. After he was about 5 or 6 months I used both the beco and ergo. I didn't like the ergo's infant insert, so I waited til he fit without it.

MiaAnjuli 01-23-2013 05:43 PM

Oh and I had no problems getting my oldest into the cart when I had the baby. He was 2 1/2. Now if he would throw the tantrum at 3 1/2 and I was wearing the smaller one in the front, than that was a problem. But it only happened once. I taught my son to climb into his rear facing seat himself when I was pregnant. And than I would just buckle him.

2wonderfulboys 01-24-2013 07:32 AM

Thanks ladies. Still trying to decide :)

daniele_ut 01-25-2013 08:29 PM

I have both:blush:. We primarily use the Keyfit, even at 13 months, because it has been in the single digits here for weeks. DS was born in December and I couldn't fathom taking a tiny baby out to our detached garage in the middle of the winter.

rverrone11 01-25-2013 08:33 PM

I used a convertible from birth with both girls. DD1 was born in November in Chicago, so we had very cold winters. I just took her from her seat and wore her everywhere. DD2 was born towards the end of May in Las Vegas where we have very hot summers. At the time, my older daughter was 2.5. I didn't find it difficult at all with DD2 not in an infant seat. Actually, she hated the car seat, so even if we had an infant seat, we wouldn't have utilized it outside of the car.

This time, we are using a convertible again (a Coccoro). My younger daughter will be almost 3. I plan on wearing baby everywhere again.

Oh, and an infant seat wouldn't help with grocery shopping because it's not safe to put infant seats on top of grocery carts anyway. Good luck with your decision!

jjordan 01-26-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rverrone11 (Post 16207200)

Oh, and an infant seat wouldn't help with grocery shopping because it's not safe to put infant seats on top of grocery carts anyway. Good luck with your decision!

If you had read what I wrote about grocery shopping, I did NOT put the infant seat on top of the cart, I put it down in the cart and put the toddler in the child seat in the cart.

2wonderfulboys 01-27-2013 08:57 AM

I got one of each to see which will fit/work better.

I couldn't put baby on the seat of the cart if I wanted. YDS is going to be sitting there a while :)

I tried to make a list of pros and cons but came out with an even # of each. That didn't do me much good!