Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   7 Year old not dry at night, ever! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484425)

ThreeLittleLovies 01-23-2013 06:01 AM

7 Year old not dry at night, ever!

My 7 year old son has only had maybe 5 dry nights in his whole life. We've tried everything except medication. We tried the bedwetting alarm, waking him to go a few times a night, cutting out drinks over an hour before bed. We've had him pee several times before bed. We've used bed pads so he can sleep in underwear and feel the wetness and try to stop himself. Nothing works. What else can we do? We have him sleeping in pull-ups now because we are just tired of the messes.

Sarawithouth 02-14-2013 12:43 AM

I'm new to all this, but have you asked his pedi?

7mom7 02-14-2013 07:42 AM

Re: 7 Year old not dry at night, ever!

I talked to another mom about this yesterday. I actually think it's normal. We've never pushed for night time training. I don't like the idea of restricting fluids...when you're thirsty you should drink. We also do pullups at night and really it's just not a big deal. DS has fallen out of bed and stayed asleep...he's a really hard sleeper.

Funny story, my BIL peed his bed not so long ago. I guess he was dreaming but he really thought he was in the bathroom. They had to buy a new mattress ;)

s@hmommy 02-14-2013 07:45 AM

Our ped said it was normal for boys up to 12ish.

shortcake2386 02-14-2013 07:49 AM

My 6.5 year old dd still wets a few nights a week. No big deal she just wears overnight cloth pull-ups and changes if she wets. Dh wet til he was like 12 and its partly hereditary

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

abunchoflemons 02-14-2013 08:20 AM

norm i hear but u can talk to doc though. for help there.

sma123 02-14-2013 08:22 AM

Does he have constipation issues? That can cause overnight accidents...

dressagemom 02-15-2013 03:38 PM

Does he have any food allergies? It sounds crazy, but sometimes children with underlying, undiagnosed food allergies will have nighttime wetting.

Sometimes, it's just something they have to grow out of.

tinytushi 02-15-2013 08:57 PM

My daughter was 11 and had a total of 14ish dry nights. My son was 6 and had 1 dry night. After a couple of trips to the chiropractor we have now been potty trained for both kids for over one year. Apparently they were severely out of alignment which put pressure on the bladder and they really could not help themselves. I thought it was quackery at first but IT WORKED!

tedcgh 02-15-2013 09:12 PM

I just read an article in Parents magazine about night time and DDs kidney doctor says more that heredity plays a role in most kids with bed time wetting and constipation is another big factor. Even if a kid seems regular and has normal stool, they still can be constipated. The urologist also says they do not recommend any treatment until night time wetting until after 12 for boys.