Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   We are going to go meet some new friends at the zoo.... I need some advice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484449)

Kiliki 01-23-2013 08:36 AM

We are going to go meet some new friends at the zoo.... I need some advice

We homeschool, and we are going to meet some fellow homeschooling families in our area tomorrow at the zoo.

I am suddenly feeling socially awkward. :blush:

Maybe it's cause I haven't had to make any NEW friends in, like, 4 years, and I'm mostly accustomed to talking to kids all day. Maybe it's cause I'm GIGANTIC and really uncomfortable in my own skin... I feel FAT, not pregnant... I can *see* my double chin forming, and it makes me feel really self-conscious. Maybe it's cause I'm overwhelmed at everything else going on in my life...

Whatever it is, I'm suddenly thinking, "What the heck do I talk to these people about?" "What if my kids start acting like terrors?" "What if they find me strange?" "What if I AM strange!?" ( :giggle: )

Any suggestions?

This is our first time branching out and meeting some people in a homeschooling group. I am excited and eager to meet new people. But I don't want to fumble around and make jokes that aren't funny, or laugh when I'm not supposed to, or say something stupid... I used to be a "people person" in my past life... WAAAAAAY back when, before kids. It's a little embarrassing that I am feeling so weird about this. :blush:

mibarra 01-23-2013 09:39 AM

Just go with it. You all have kids, you all homeschool, so there's a lot of common ground. Don't get yourself too worked up, it'll be fine!! :)

yucafrita 01-23-2013 09:50 AM

Re: We are going to go meet some new friends at the zoo.... I need some advice

Hello there. I am VERY new to this site..like literally just signed up about 10 minutes ago. :) However, just wanted to say that you will be fabulous and wonderful just as you are! I think the one thing people really want to see and that is often missed from our society is genuineness. Just be YOU and that's all people want to see!:thumbsup: ps...I'm sure their kids can be little terrors too!

I_run_with_scissors 01-23-2013 09:58 AM

i know what you mean! its so much harder to make new friends as an adult. Just relax, i bet you have tons of stuff to talk about with the other moms. Its kinda like a bandaid, sometimes you just need to rip it off and then its never as bad as you thought it would be.

have a great time at the zoo!!!

Only 01-23-2013 09:58 AM

Be yourself. Easier said than done. But, really, just be yourself. You always post thoughtful and nice responses on here and even when you disagree with others you are sincere and respectful. If you are that way on DS then I imagine you most likely are in real life and what's not to like about that? :)

As for the weight issue, have you considered losing weight? It may make you feel better and help your self esteem. I have recently been on a mission to lose the last of my pregnancy weight and I already lost 10 pounds which absolutely boosted my self esteem! It may be something to consider if it truly bothers you.

Kiliki 01-23-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only (Post 16194970)

As for the weight issue, have you considered losing weight? It may make you feel better and help your self esteem. I have recently been on a mission to lose the last of my pregnancy weight and I already lost 10 pounds which absolutely boosted my self esteem! It may be something to consider if it truly bothers you.

This made me laugh!

YES! I am on an awesome diet!

I will be losing about 15-20 pounds in just one week's time in February/March sometime....

The other 15-20 pounds will be coming off shortly after, likely within 6-8 months after that.

...Or at least that's how it's worked for the last 3 kids I've had...

I'm 33 wks pregnant. I tend to get a fat face towards the end of pregnancy.... unfortunately.

I'm sorry, I could't help myself. :lostit:

Btw... (i am such a jerk...)... thank you for saying all those nice things :blush:

UVASahm 01-23-2013 04:00 PM

I know exactly how you feel! I became a SAHM fairly recently and joined a couple of meetup groups to meet new people. I was SO scared to go at first, but now some of these ladies are my best friends and I am so much closer to them than to my "real" friends. Remember, you have A TON in common with these people by just having children of similar ages. And on top of that you all homeschool. I am sure you will be fine.

All they are going to ask about is the new baby anyway if they are anything like my mom friends. :)

cbreeding 01-23-2013 04:46 PM

After the fact, I found that the others felt just as nervous as I did. The kids are great buffers. Introduce yourself and your children. Mention something about the zoo - can't believe it's this busy, wow this place was a little tricky to find, we're so excited to meet other homeschoolers, etc.

Kiliki 01-24-2013 11:46 AM

we had a great time.

Thanks everyone for the advice! :goodvibes:

mommyto3sweeties 01-24-2013 12:11 PM

I'm so glad it worked out and you had a great time!