Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Help Me Decide What to Keep or Not Keep (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484474)

badmisterkitty 01-23-2013 09:29 AM

Help Me Decide What to Keep or Not Keep

I'm working in my kitchen right now.....part of me wants to go NUTS and minimize beyond my wildest dreams, but part of me is trying to stay practical and maybe wants to keep more than we need.

First up - the hand mixer. I have a Kitchenaid mixer, so is this a pointless tool now? I haven't used it since I got the kitchenaid.

Secondly, the waffle makers. I have 2 - one makes 4 square waffles at a time, the other makes one large round one. Thesquare one is really old. The round one is a newer cuisinart. I love them both.

Kellogg's cereal bowls - we've acquired a large collection of plastic Kellogg's cereal bowls. DH likes them and occassionally uses them for the kids. They are fun and colorful, too. If I got rid of them, we have other bowls, but i'm really undecided on cuteness alone.

I powerbake sometimes, so I have multiple spatulas and whisks, etc. I'm debating cutting back to 1 whisk and 4 spatulas. Does that seem reasonable?

I cut back to 6 mixing bowls. Thinking of cutting back to the Kitchenaid mixer bowl, pampered chef glass bowl and 2 pyrex.

We make kuchen twice a year. I have 2 pie plates that I contribute to this process, but I don't make pie. What else can I make in a pie plate to justify keeping these? No quiesche.

4 cup measuring cup....?

Stove top popcorn making pan. Somewhat of a family heirloom. I alternate between using this and microwaving kernels in a paper sack.....would I be happy if I just microwaved popcorn? maybe pass on to my sister until she gets tired of it?

Canning stuff - if I have a stick blender, do I need a sieve? I have 2 pressure canners and like both of them. One went on the fritz last year, so it was great to have a 2nd until the replacement part arrived. I also have 2 water bath canners that I use almost never because I like the pressure canner better. will I regret getting rid of the water bath canners? Maybe keep both pressure canners and get rid of both water bath canners? I have an extra-large steamer pot. used once and I think I have other items in my arsenal that can replace this.

Sorry this is so long, but I just need some guidance and confidence to let some of this stuff go. Thanks for staying with me this far!!

cherylchoo 01-23-2013 10:36 AM

Re: Help Me Decide What to Keep or Not Keep

Well, here's my 2 cents, LOL.

I recently got rid of all the plastic dishes. I thought I would really miss them, use them outside on the patio, the kids would break all our Corelle and Ball jars we use for glasses...but I don't miss them and *I* am the only one that has broken anything. :giggle2: But to be fair I stuck them in a box in the basement for a few months before I finally let them go.

Waffle maker I totally understand. I have two as well, because if you are making waffles for a family of five...it takes more than half an hour to make waffles for everyone with a single round waffle maker. So I feel it is justified to have two to cut the time in half. I have space for it though.

I use pie pans to make casseroles and to cool/harden fudge. I line the pan with foil for the fudge, but it is exactly the right size to get the thickness I want for the recipe I use.

I am in the process of putting my multiples of spatulas and stuff away for a while to see if I really need that many. I cook a lot, so it is not unusual to go through several in a day. But IDK if it really would be that big a deal to handwash one several times as needed.

I know I have less than six mixing bowls. Apparently I don't mind handwashing those as needed because it is rare I need more than two in a day. Again, it might be worth to put them aside for a while and see if you really need them.

IDK about canning, and the kids love our air popper so I haven't purged that. I like it better on the stove in a dutch oven, but they are more excited to watch it spin around in the air popper. So when the novelty of that wears off, I'll purge it.

tallanvor 01-23-2013 12:27 PM

If you haven't used the hand mixer since getting the stand mixer, toss it.

Waffle makers. While it can be frustrating to be making waffles for an hour, or whatever, I would keep one. I would probably keep the one that makes 4. I would also suggest that periodically, when you have time, make a large batch of waffles to either freeze or put in the fridge (depending on how long it'll take you to eat them). Just reheat them in the toaster.

Kellogg's bowls. If these are the ones I'm thinking of, you probably have several duplicates. Perhaps start by keeping one of each design, or have each person pick their favorite.

As for the power baking, I do that with 1 whisk and 2 wooden spatulas. Oh, and 4 mixing bowls of various sizes. I rinse and re-use them. Sometimes I wash. It depends on what's going in it. If I start with granola bars, then do chocolate chip cookies, and then pumpkin bread, I just rinse. Oh, wait, I forgot I have one other large bowl that is great for bread.

As for the kuchen, could you do one pie plate? If not, try making hashbrown casseroles, or fruit crisps instead of full pies.

Canners. Unless you actually process enough at the same time to use both canners at the same time, I would get rid of one of each. In fact, you could sell me your extra pressure canner. lol

Popcorn. I use a regular pot.

Oh, and I use my 4 cup measuring cup, but if you don't use it, or rarely, then get rid of it.

badmisterkitty 01-23-2013 01:04 PM

Thank you!

I looked up the Kellogg's bowls on ebay and I think I could sell them for a good profit. I'm goingn to put them away for a month or two and see if anyone asks for one. Same with the mixer and some of the extra utensils.

I had never thought of using both waffle makers at the same time! LOL

I kinda see the 4 cup measuring cup as another mixing bowl. I have a bowl that size already, plus a few other storage containers I could use, too.

I think part of the problem is I've been using each item for one or two specific purposes, but if I take some time to rethink how I use things, I see where I have a lot of overlap. I'm trying to eliminate some of the overlap without creating an enormous amount of extra work.

photocat 01-23-2013 08:29 PM

my shift key isn't working on my ipad keyboard sorry, no capital letters :giggle:

hmm, baking...

i have 1 whisk and about 4 silicone spatulas, that works fine for me.

i would ditch the hand blender if you haven't used it since you got the kitchen aid.

mixing bowls.....i have 4 biggish ones and a couple of smaller. sometimes the big ones are in use for soaking, straining stuff etc, so while the biggest don't get used much, i still keep them....i think you could probably go to four.

i've never done waffles so am no help there.

popcorn ....i use a pot.

pie plates...are they glass or metal...i have a glass one that occasionally i make pie in but i also marinade stuff in it. but i wouldn't marinate food in a metal plate.

i love minimilising my kitchen :giggle:

pgkcb13 01-23-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty (Post 16194812)
I'm working in my kitchen right now.....part of me wants to go NUTS and minimize beyond my wildest dreams, but part of me is trying to stay practical and maybe wants to keep more than we need.

First up - the hand mixer. I have a Kitchenaid mixer, so is this a pointless tool now? I haven't used it since I got the kitchenaid.
If you don't use it, let it go :)

Secondly, the waffle makers. I have 2 - one makes 4 square waffles at a time, the other makes one large round one. Thesquare one is really old. The round one is a newer cuisinart. I love them both.
I would pick one...

Kellogg's cereal bowls - we've acquired a large collection of plastic Kellogg's cereal bowls. DH likes them and occassionally uses them for the kids. They are fun and colorful, too. If I got rid of them, we have other bowls, but i'm really undecided on cuteness alone.
Personally I don't use plastic dishes, have issues with chemicals, so to me these would go

I powerbake sometimes, so I have multiple spatulas and whisks, etc. I'm debating cutting back to 1 whisk and 4 spatulas. Does that seem reasonable?
Yes, just rinse them off as you go... I have one wisk and two spatulas and it's actually better that way b/c it forces you to wash as you go so less dishes

I cut back to 6 mixing bowls. Thinking of cutting back to the Kitchenaid mixer bowl, pampered chef glass bowl and 2 pyrex.
Same thing, do it, save yourself ;)

We make kuchen twice a year. I have 2 pie plates that I contribute to this process, but I don't make pie. What else can I make in a pie plate to justify keeping these? No quiesche.
My FIL makes kuchen in a 9x13... I would get rid of the pie plates

4 cup measuring cup....?

Stove top popcorn making pan. Somewhat of a family heirloom. I alternate between using this and microwaving kernels in a paper sack.....would I be happy if I just microwaved popcorn? maybe pass on to my sister until she gets tired of it?
We just use our cast iron pot for making popcorn... do you love it or do you keep it b/c it's a family thing?

Canning stuff - if I have a stick blender, do I need a sieve? I have 2 pressure canners and like both of them. One went on the fritz last year, so it was great to have a 2nd until the replacement part arrived. I also have 2 water bath canners that I use almost never because I like the pressure canner better. will I regret getting rid of the water bath canners? Maybe keep both pressure canners and get rid of both water bath canners? I have an extra-large steamer pot. used once and I think I have other items in my arsenal that can replace this.
I'm a water bath canner, so I'd say keep at least one, but then I wouldn't have two of the pressure canners... If you only use the pressure canners then yeah, keep those and let the others go!

Sorry this is so long, but I just need some guidance and confidence to let some of this stuff go. Thanks for staying with me this far!!

There's my opinion ;) HTH

badmisterkitty 01-24-2013 08:52 AM

Thank you, Kory!

I'm on my way to an non-plastic kitchen, so this is part of the minimizing, too. I'm down to just a few plastic food storage containers for kid snacks in the diaper bag and some plastic drinking cups for the kids.

The pie plates are pyrex. When we make kuchen, we make about 15 of them, so my 2 plates plus my mom's and sister's and we have enough to prep about half of them at once. Kuchen is supposed to be round! LOL hadn't thought to use other sized pans. That's a great idea!

I also thought perhaps I could send the water bath canners to my mom and sister's house. They both use them, though they are stored at my house, but if I gave them each one I could get them out of my house and still have access later.

I decided to get rid of the hand mixer, the popcorn pan, the 4-cup measuring cup, and 2 plastic mixing bowls. I am still highly undecided on the waffle makers. I will put away the plastic bowls for awhile and see what happens.

pgkcb13 01-24-2013 10:38 AM

Sure thing! I say if your mom and sis use the canners asking them to store them is not a stretch ;)

Sounds like you're making great progress!! I've been working on my kitchen a bit too, hoping to clear out another box today! :)

2+2macht4 01-24-2013 01:50 PM

What do you mean with kuchen. That's the general word for all cakes in German so I am wondering what you guys mean :)

badmisterkitty 01-24-2013 02:02 PM

Kuchen as I know it is a sweet yeast dough baked with a custard on top. Usually fruit in the custard, like peaches, strawberries, rhubarb or blueberries.