Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Dilating but NOT in labor??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484573)

babyike2011 01-23-2013 01:28 PM

Dilating but NOT in labor???

I'm jus over 35 weeks, so I'm not hoping for birth now but I am confused. My last baby came without warning at 36 weeks (she's 2 today!!). I went to the doc yesterday and I was 3cm. Was sent to l&d today and I'm at a 4 but the mw said I'm not in early labor. This just doesn't make sense. I don't have strong contractions until AFTER my water breaks, so I can't go on that alone:(

MDever 01-23-2013 02:33 PM

Re: Dilating but NOT in labor???

I am on my 5th pregnancy and always have this. I am usually 2cm by 35 weeks and 5cm by 39 weeks. I have never had a baby prior to my due date. I have precipitus(super fast) births. By the time I realize I am in labor I have the baby within the hour. Just be prepared for fast and furious.

homebirthmom 01-23-2013 02:37 PM

your in prodromal labor. it means you have some contraction each day that end up stopping. they may cause progress but since you are not going fast they say no labor.
i think its very confusing. you will probably go soon although I have seen moms sitting at 7 cm not in labor and one at 9cm. no joke.

palsmama 01-23-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebirthmom (Post 16196376)
your in prodromal labor. it means you have some contraction each day that end up stopping. they may cause progress but since you are not going fast they say no labor.
i think its very confusing. you will probably go soon although I have seen moms sitting at 7 cm not in labor and one at 9cm. no joke.

Yep. What she said. I was in prodromal labor for 3 weeks. Went from 1-5 cm when finally I had the doc break my bag! Good luck. It's tiring for sure! Hang in there!

TS8213 01-23-2013 02:50 PM

Chiming in and agreeing with the others. Even if you think you're just having BH, they're doing something. Not always, but in your case they obviously are. I was always 2-3cm dilated for a few weeks before actual delivery with my previous pregnancies.

MakingHome 01-23-2013 03:17 PM

Wow, sounds exciting!

I'm pg with our 6th right now and am never dilated to anything but "MAYYYYYBE A 1" when I start labor. So yeah, I'd expect fast and furious if I were you. :)

JaimeeRooker 01-23-2013 04:12 PM

With my son I was 3cm at 32wks and 5cm at 38-39wks. Went to the er at 41+5 and was 7cm. Labor was 5 hours but could have been shorter if I had let them break my water. I was at 9cm for 3-4 hours. Tried some pushing which broke my water and immediately made me complete and ready to push baby out. :)

Ainmemphis 01-23-2013 05:59 PM

With DS I was 2cm and 80% at 36 weeks. I progressed to a 3 by 38 weeks and was fully effaced. At 38 weeks 4 days I finally started having contractions (no BH or anything before that). After 2 hours I was 5cm but I had to have a c-section due to him being feet first so who knows how fast it would have gone!

babyike2011 01-23-2013 06:25 PM

I have been contracting day and night for the last 36 hours or so. This is pg 8 for me (only baby 4), so I did dilate early this time, but I was only 1cm at 27 weeks and that's no surprise. I guess I didn't see how it wasn't considered labor if I progressed. I HOPE I don't have to keep contracting like this for weeks:( I haven't slept in 2 nights and I'm sooooo tired...lol.... Thanks ladies!!!!

babyike2011 01-23-2013 06:31 PM

Dp