Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   homeschooling with newborn (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484689)

angel nee nee 01-23-2013 07:29 PM

homeschooling with newborn

Anyone doing it, or had done it? Will you share your experience?

How was your schedule like?

How was your typical day like?

How long did that routine last? ( until baby was about XX month/year old)

any advice?

ajbailey89 01-23-2013 07:43 PM

Re: homeschooling with newborn

I'm subbing. I think this might be me in a couple of years.

Art mama 01-23-2013 07:44 PM

I started when my baby was almost 5 months old. She's 8 months now and I'm still trying to figure it out lol. But it's also my first year homeschooling. My ergo has became my best friend. Good luck!

tallanvor 01-23-2013 08:42 PM

Having a newborn didn't really change anything for us. We are very relaxed, anyway. We did school while I was holding or wearing the baby. If we came across something that didn't work with the baby, we did it while she was sleeping.

2queens&1princenmyhouse 01-23-2013 09:02 PM

:wave: Hey there-missed you around here!

I don't have exactly the same situation (I don't have a newborn), but I do have 3 daycare babies and a 2 yo. When I started hs'ing in June they were 7 mo, 4mo and 2mo.

I don't remember the ages of your hs'ing kiddos (so please ignore if this doesn't apply ;) ).

At the time, the girls were 11 and 9 and DS was 4. Over breakfast, I would go over with the girls what they had to do that day and see if they had any general questions. Then I would take the babies downstairs and let them get started on their work. With DS, he isn't able to do much independent work yet, so I took him with me and we would do a lot on the floor. Babies on their quilts or in a bouncer with me sitting close, I would read to DS or have him work a puzzle next to me or sit at the whiteboard while he practiced his letters. Essentially, I had a list in my mind of things that HAD to be done and things that would be nice if they got done. I did the HAD to's first because in my case, getting all three to nap at the same time was near impossible. If I had only one, I would wait and do the important stuff as soon as lo was sleeping.

Now the littles are 15 mo, 12 mo and 10 mo. In some ways it is much easier. Now they typically are all down for at least an hour at the same time (they don't all go down at the same time, but I usually hit an hour where they are all asleep). DS and I do our work then. The girls have just become accustomed to doing discussions in the car (most fall asleep on the way to take DS to prek or are at least quiet). They ask questions amidst the noise and occasionally now that they babies are bigger, I don't have a problem putting them in the big play-yard with their toys and running upstairs to help with a math concept or problem in grammar (think 2-3 minutes to hammer something out, not half an hour or anything like that).

I do babywear, but the baby that liked to be worn the most was also the baby that was fine in the bouncer, saucer, swing, whatever. The high needs babes wanted to be held (often simultaneously :banghead:).

HeatherlovesCDs 01-23-2013 09:28 PM

I had a baby in Oct last year. So, he is just over 3 months now. My oldest is in 1st and I have 2 5 year olds who are not doing anything formal till this Sept, but do tag along, and 2 2 year olds also.

I thought I was going to want/need about a month off. It turns out we were very ready to start back up by 2wks. Like many newborns, mine wanted to nurse almost constantly and didn't sleep much especially if I tried to put him down. We did a lot of work at the couch with me nursing the baby. I read to the kids while nursing and we did math and phonics on the couch with me nursing too. I use a whiteboard a lot (I use a small one) and I learned to write with my left hand and upside down. LOL.

We were pretty consistent at first, but we definitely did have days that we didn't get everything done or not much at all. When the baby was about 6wks old or so, we really struggled to get anything done for a couple of weeks. 6-8 wks tends to be the peak of fussiness for a lot of newborns. You have to be try to relaxed and go with the flow and be gentle on yourself.

My baby is now just over 3 months. He takes much more regular naps doesn't nurse as often and can sleep without me holding him. He "plays" happily in his bouncy seat or on his playmat. So, we are back to doing more at the kitchen table. We take timely breaks when the baby needs to nurse. Sometimes I still read to the kids while he nurses, but a lot of times, I just let them take a break. It is actually working out much better than I expected it would but it did take a few months. :)

cathplyr 01-23-2013 09:46 PM

I would love to see a day in the life of heather and kristin. wondering how you both fit in laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, showers, time w/dh, errands, dishes, computer time. great posts everyone.

Art mama 01-23-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathplyr
I would love to see a day in the life of heather and kristin. wondering how you both fit in laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, showers, time w/dh, errands, dishes, computer time. great posts everyone.

No kidding! I have enough trouble with two :/

MakingHome 01-24-2013 12:15 AM

Homeschooling with a newborn is pretty simple. They sleep so much and eat so long you can get a lot accomplished in those "down" times.

Homeschooling with an 18 month old is infinitely more difficult. :) They are like little tazmanian devils whirling through the house like a crazy person, wrecking everything in their paths... THAT is much more difficult.

But a sleepy snuggly little infant? Aw, bring it on. :)

2queens&1princenmyhouse 01-24-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathplyr (Post 16198022)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art mama (Post 16198159)
No kidding! I have enough trouble with two :/

No, really I don't think you do. :giggle2:

My saving grace is that my girls are older. Everyone has chores that they are responsible for each day and we take time here and there to get things done. We are pretty minimal about toys and clothes. I have a 3 section laundry sorter that when a section gets full, it goes to the washer. Part of the kids chores are to switch laundry, help me fold and put their own things away. I cook quite a bit with kids under my feet. I have gates at both ends of the kitchen so I can gate them out if need be (frying bacon or opening the oven frequently), but usually it's just as easy to let them roll potatoes around on the floor and crawl in the container cabinet. Grocery shopping happens on Sunday after church while DH takes DD1 to volleyball practice. Computer time happens while I'm giving bottles or after DS is done with his work for the day. And, occasionally, like today, I had a bunch of Girl Scout stuff to do (plan a field trip and get cookie orders entered), so I sat on the floor with them and the laptop and spun in a circle trying to keep them from batting the keyboard while I was typing. Good times!

Oh, yeah, showers. I get them because I don't really live with a newborn. :) The first one comes at 7 am, so I shower at 6:45. Time with DH doesn't happen as often as it should because he works 7-3:30 and then from 5:30-8:30 so he's home from 4-5 (pick up time for daycare kids) and then he gets home to stay at 9. So he spends some time with the kids from 9-10 and then he and I get time from 10 until we go to bed. Errands: I do things in the evening or I wait until the day I know I'll only have 3 dc kids (or better yet 2, which happens once every other week or so) and take the girls and do things while DS is in pre-k. I do have to load them all up and take DS and/or pick him up 2-3 times a week and that is a PITA (we have no garage and it's a high of 27* today :yuck: ).