Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vax questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484706)

kelpie169 01-23-2013 07:26 PM

Vax questions

Okay. I need some help from all your vax experts out there. I've just begun delving into the vaccination issue....my third kid but hey better Late than never. Our first has special needs and his first ped didn't really give us a choice. We were young and there were too many other things that we had to think about. I started questioning it with our second. And now with our third its ridiculous.
Wth our first, the doc office was always out of some of them. So he's not up to date (just turned 4). Our second, same scenario even though it was a different doctor. That office too wasn't really into giving us a choice. Now we've found a more holistic doctor that we love and we actually have a choice.
W declined the hep b vax at the hospital with the third. She hasn't actually had any yet since we had an issue with her insurance and then appointments got messed up. So, since our older two have maybe half of the ones they should at their ages, is it really that big of an issue if we don't vax her yet? W may choose to do a few, but at the moment were leaning more toward the delayed schedule that starts at age 2. We're also thinking of holding off on any more for the boys and requesting tigers before we do anything.
So, give me some input. Any problems with having 2 half vaxed and not the third?
And I know there are some states that require it and don't really have any exemptions, but can anyone tell me anything about Florida? I googled it, but fund a bunch of nonessential junk. It's hard wading through all this ish. Ay help would be appreciated. Thanks!

gigismomma 01-23-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Vax questions

You can pretty much do whatever you want, but I would spend the time researching it so you are comfortable with whatever you decide to do.
Keep in mind that you can never un-do a vax. But also keep in mind by delaying them, you are leaving her vulnerable for those diseases until she is vaxed........and it is also the time when she is most vulnerable in general (the severity of VPDs are typically more serious in infants/babies). I don't know about your state, but in my state there has been a lot of pertussis going around -- many cases in my community, including members of my church. Therefore, I would not feel comfortable delaying the dtap, for example. I would feel comfortable delaying polio, however (for example). So you really need to evaluate each vax and do its own risk/benefit profile to decide if you want to delay, skip, or vax on schedule.

mibarra 01-23-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigismomma (Post 16197752)
You can pretty much do whatever you want, but I would spend the time researching it so you are comfortable with whatever you decide to do.
Keep in mind that you can never un-do a vax. But also keep in mind by delaying them, you are leaving her vulnerable for those diseases until she is vaxed........and it is also the time when she is most vulnerable in general (the severity of VPDs are typically more serious in infants/babies). I don't know about your state, but in my state there has been a lot of pertussis going around -- many cases in my community, including members of my church. Therefore, I would not feel comfortable delaying the dtap, for example. I would feel comfortable delaying polio, however (for example). So you really need to evaluate each vax and do its own risk/benefit profile to decide if you want to delay, skip, or vax on schedule.

This is good advice. Each vax has it's own risk and benefits and I would look at each one individually. :)

Mom2jandb 01-23-2013 08:27 PM

I'm no vax expert, but good for you for skipping Hep B at the hospital! That one is a no-brainer, unless you have a true need for it of course.

Nissanasmama 01-23-2013 08:36 PM

Re: Vax questions

Here is the list of vaccine exemptions by state:http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/sta...uirements.aspx

There is a lot of work ahead of you mama. Good for you in taking the first step and saying no, now it is time to arm yourself with information. Facebook has a few great pages, I particularly like "Educate before you vaccinate" They will not just give you opinion, but tell you where you can find information. I used to be a peds nurse and gave it up after many years because I finally educated myself to what was in those vaccines. If you would like more info I would be glad to help email me at everetta_winchell@yahoo.com. if not, the best place to start is with the ingredients. Look up every one, you will be surprised. Then go back and take a look at the history of vaccines and disease. There is a good film, 10 part series, called vaccine nation. It is available on Youtube.