Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What does your childcare/ preschool do for birthdays? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484798)

jeebee 01-24-2013 06:36 AM

What does your childcare/ preschool do for birthdays?

It was my daughter's 3rd birthday today. She is in paid childcare in a center, so even though I didn't HAVE to take her (I took the other kids to my mom's place), I did. Also I figured they will do something special for her in the class and didn't want her to miss out on being the birthday girl for the day at 'school'. I only dropped her off at 10am and I spoke to the group leader (who strangely didn't even know it was her birthday today, even though they have all the birthdays up and you would think in a group of under 20 kids they would note the upcoming childrens' birthdays).

Anyway, I told her that I had brought some cupcakes for the children and if we could do them between 2:30 to 3pm as we had to go have birthday cake with my family. I came home, did a couple hours of sewing, then went to get her. When I got there, her two group leaders were not even in the classroom. They had a person I did not recognise and the center 'float' taking care of the kids. They both didn't know it was my child's birthday and I had to explain why I had come a little early and can we do the cupcakes. They handed out the cupcakes and sang happy birthday and that was it. The group leaders did not even come in to celebrate her birthday at school, one was on the computer outside the room.

I was peeved about it all. Firstly, it is her BIRTHDAY. I told them it is her birthday, and since I have not spent the day there I have no idea what they do for kids. I assumed they make it a bit of a special day like most childcares or preschools. They hadn't done anything special for her during the day, no birthday crown or anything. They didn't even seem to care! Secondly I spoke with two of them and made sure they knew I was coming back so that they could work it into their day, and they told me yes that time was fine, then they weren't even in there and hadn't told the people who were!

I could have kept her home with me for a few hours or at least taken her to my mom's place with the other kids for a swim and where they would have made her feel special. I really couldn't believe they did NOTHING for her!

jes750 01-24-2013 06:45 AM

That's odd. My ds is in a paid preschool. His bday is dec 31st so no school on his actual bday but his teacher had a little party for him beforehand. Birthday kids get a special crown, big star happy bday sticker, get to pick a prize from the special treasure box, stuff like that. My mom is a preschool teacher (not at the school my son goes to) and she does similar things on birthdays.
Eta- no cupcakes or other junk food is allowed

doodah 01-24-2013 07:19 AM

Re: What does your childcare/ preschool do for birthdays?

I am not surprised at all about what happened. Staff at centers are notoriously over worked and jaded. Not all are like that but many are. That would explain the fact that the teachers either forgot or just didnt care.

I would be more concerned that your child seems to regularly have 4 different caregivers through out the day than the fact that the cupcakes were not given out. This sounds more like a daycare with the preschool label, not a quality/organized/well run preschool. I wonder how there is supposed to be structure and consistency with people in and out of the room all day. I understand that lunch breaks are needed but it was 3pm, correct?

I understand why you would be upset but from your post, I would be upset about more than just the birthday cupcakes.

jbug_4 01-24-2013 07:21 AM

Most preschools don't do anything unless the parent has provided something. They can't celebrate every b-day. Its just too much to make a big deal out of every b-day. In both my dd's preschool and the one I taught in- we would have a construction paper b-day crown and sing happy b-day at lunch unless the parent brought something in then we'd sing when we did the treat. Which was usually in place of afternoon snack. If parents want to be apart of the treat then they needed to come during that snack time. I taught at one school that had a once a month "party" for all the b-days of that month. These were preschool with daycare options not straight daycare. Celebrating every b-day disrupts preschool time. A lot of teachers I know do make the b-day kid the person of the day or class helper on their b-day but that is about all they do.

jbug_4 01-24-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah (Post 16198868)
I am not surprised at all about what happened. Staff at centers are notoriously over worked and jaded. Not all are like that but many are. That would explain the fact that the teachers either forgot or just didnt care.

I would be more concerned that your child seems to regularly have 4 different caregivers through out the day than the fact that the cupcakes were not given out. This sounds more like a daycare with the preschool label, not a quality/organized/well run preschool. I wonder how there is supposed to be structure and consistency with people in and out of the room all day. I understand that lunch breaks are needed but it was 3pm, correct?

I understand why you would be upset but from your post, I would be upset about more than just the birthday cupcakes.

3pm is often a shift change in a center. Is also usually when official nap time is over. Preschool is normally done in the mornings since kids come only for preschool/half days. The afternoon are usually only about daycare. Depending on the hours 4 different care givers is not uncommon. Usually have 2 shifts (6am to 2 or 3 and noon or 3 to close) with 2 staff (teacher and asst) in each. There is usually a lot of shifting during nap times (lunch for staff). Even on a normal day you'd have 4 people in the room plus whoever is covering lunch unless the staff hours overlap. The teacher should be constant and usually the assit is as well but a lot of places float assits and only have the 2 teachers or lead (In the afternoon it might not even officially be a teacher just a qualified lead) are fixtures in the class.

slimy72 01-24-2013 07:34 AM

That sounds about normal to me. My son is in a small preschool, with two care givers (no shift change, no other rooms, ect...) They do sing happy birthday when they do whatever treat the child gets. They don''t do much else, except wish them happy birthday. I don't really see the problem.

abunchoflemons 01-24-2013 07:49 AM

Preschool and elementary are good at letting them celebrate birthdays. Younger ones for us were hours at making say special our if not a school day then they did half birthday to celebrate

Pixi6s 01-24-2013 07:58 AM

My son just had a birthday and I don't think they did much. He is in the preschool room at his daycare. I asked if I could bring in chocolate chip muffins for morning snack and they said yes. Not sure if they sang or not (but I would think they did) but no crowns or anything. My son is in a small daycare with only 2 teachers for his room (and only 5 adults). At least 1 of the 2 is always there even when they consolidate the 2 rooms into one at the beginning and end of the day. He also knows and loves all 5 teachers very much... I love the small atmosphere so much better.

Geckmumto3 01-24-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4 (Post 16198876)
Most preschools don't do anything unless the parent has provided something. They can't celebrate every b-day. Its just too much to make a big deal out of every b-day. In both my dd's preschool and the one I taught in- we would have a construction paper b-day crown and sing happy b-day at lunch unless the parent brought something in then we'd sing when we did the treat. Which was usually in place of afternoon snack. If parents want to be apart of the treat then they needed to come during that snack time. I taught at one school that had a once a month "party" for all the b-days of that month. These were preschool with daycare options not straight daycare. Celebrating every b-day disrupts preschool time. A lot of teachers I know do make the b-day kid the person of the day or class helper on their b-day but that is about all they do.

ITA with this. I will add, too, that many schools have nutrition policies and cupcakes would be discouraged because they cannot serve that many treats. Add to that the potential for offence for celebrating birthdays in a multi-cultural situation, and I think a lot of schools/preschools are downplaying birthdays and trying not to make a big deal. It's sad, but it is the way things have gone down.

I hope you managed to make you DD's birthday special despite the school! :goodvibes:

Kimmyann 01-24-2013 08:12 AM

Ugg
Double post