Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Does my pump routine sound ok? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484816)

keonli 01-24-2013 09:16 AM

Does my pump routine sound ok?

Today's my first day back at work after having my daughter 6 weeks ago. I have a small freezer stash at home just in case the milk I'm pumping isn't enough. But could you please look over my schedule and the amounts I'm producing and give me your input?

DD last nursed at 5 am.
I pumped at 6:30 and got 4 oz.
Pumped at 9:30 and got 2 oz.
Will pump again during lunch at noon.
Will pump again at 3:00
Head home at 4:15 and nurse DD at 5 pm.

When I pump at home, the most milk I get is in the morning, but it's never more than 4 oz with 15-20 mins of pumping. As the rest of the day wears on, each pumping session would yield an ounce from each breast. I am taking fenugreek and drinking lots of water.

At home, DD nurses every hour to every hour and a half. She's a "snacker" and is done within 10-15 minutes usually.

IowaGold 01-24-2013 11:10 AM

That's pretty close to the schedule I had when I first went back to work. Fed DD at 6:30, pumped from 7:15 to 7:45 during my commute. Then 10ish, 1, and 4 at work. I'd also pump from 6 to 6:25 on my way home then feed DD about 7. At 4 months I dropped the 4 pm pump soon followed by the 10 am. I changed the evening pump to at home after her bedtime at about 8 months then dropped it at 9 months. I plan to drop the 1 pm pump at 10.5 months and the morning commute pump at 1 year. Then I've got 1200+ ounces to feed from the freezer.

You'll likely be able to pump more at work than you would have if you were home because there won't be a baby eating between pumps so I wouldn't worry yet that you won't produce enough. My morning pump was always my highest and the others were usually pretty consistent. I was able to continually add to the freezer stash until about 6 months, then it was hit or miss for a couple of months. I haven't added anything since before Christmas but I also haven't taken out all that much.

keonli 01-24-2013 11:59 AM

Re: Does my pump routine sound ok?

Thanks for that info. It was really helpful. I do plan on pumping a bit at home to contribute more to the freezer as well. It's just that I hear about people pumping way more than me and it had me a bit worried. Thanks again!

IowaGold 01-24-2013 07:25 PM

I forgot to add that I also pumped every morning at home on my days off. I was pretty religious about doing this until about 6-7 months then it tapered off. I pretty much stopped altogether right after 8 months. I definitely noticed that my morning commute pump decreased after I stopped pumping at home.

abunchoflemons 01-24-2013 07:31 PM

I pumped every 2 hrs. And if nursing I hear feed one side only & pump other side.

Nerissa 01-25-2013 07:36 AM

This is what I do.

Between 4am and 5:30--baby wakes to eat or I wake her to feed (5:30). She eats one side--my side I get less on when I pump
5:30-6:30-- I either pump the other side (my better producing side) at home or on my drive to work and get between 4 and 5 oz
9am--pump get 6 oz
12:30--pump--get 4oz
3:45-9:00pm feed baby on demand
9pm-4:30 am-- baby sleeps and sometimes wakes around 1am to eat.

~Daycare is really good about makeing her last bottle around 1pm so that she is ready to eat when we get home. We are home by 3:30.

~On the weekends I always pump the other side after her first am feeding and sometimes after her 2nd feeding.

~Forgot I also eat a big bowl of oatmeal (pyrex 2 cup bowl packed) w/flax, honey and brown sugar every morning for breakfast.

Babyhoward 01-28-2013 04:19 PM

Sounds close to what I did, but DD did not nurse quite that often. Monitor the caretaker's use of your milk. I had to teach them to be conservative and that every time she cried dis not mean she was hungry. When you are with DD, nurse her often to keep your supply up. Mine dwindled during the week and we got it back up on the weekends!