Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does Zinc Pass Through Breastmilk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484848)

l_Kimmie_l 01-24-2013 09:41 AM

Does Zinc Pass Through Breastmilk

There it is...LOL! Does zinc pass through breastmilk? I am taking tons of zinc to help get rid of this cold. The baby has this cold too and I wondered if the zinc was passing to him or not?

FindingMercy 01-24-2013 11:35 AM

Not really. Breastmilk is relatively low in zinc. Our DS had a zinc deficiency while nursing and we have to supplement daily for him.

Spunkify 01-24-2013 11:44 AM

Re: Does Zinc Pass Through Breastmilk

Zinc is L2 according to Dr Hale's 2008 book. He says "Zinc absorption by the infant from human milk is high, averaging 41%..."

Want me to post the pages for you to review?

Spunkify 01-24-2013 11:46 AM

What made your doc go looking for Zinc deficiency and how did they diagnose it, if you don't mind me asking? What symptoms or signs was your baby having?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy (Post 16200093)
Not really. Breastmilk is relatively low in zinc. Our DS had a zinc deficiency while nursing and we have to supplement daily for him.

FindingMercy 01-24-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by September
What made your doc go looking for Zinc deficiency and how did they diagnose it, if you don't mind me asking? What symptoms or signs was your baby having?

He was hospitalized for an extreme staph infection all over his skin. After treating the staph, the skin wouldn't heal and the redness kept getting worse again. He was rehospitalized and they ran a bunch of tests to see what was wrong. His blood had undetectable levels of zinc in it. One of his drs is one of the leading researchers in the country on pediatric zinc deficiency, so that helped. :)

Spunkify 01-24-2013 12:26 PM

Wow that's incredible! Did they ever find out what caused him to be so deficient? Not a mal-absorption issue since supplements are working...or was it?

l_Kimmie_l 01-24-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by September (Post 16200140)
Zinc is L2 according to Dr Hale's 2008 book. He says "Zinc absorption by the infant from human milk is high, averaging 41%..."

Want me to post the pages for you to review?

That is great to hear. I am taking zinc every 2 hours as directed to get rid of a cold. I truly hope baby gets some too to help him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy (Post 16200209)
He was hospitalized for an extreme staph infection all over his skin. After treating the staph, the skin wouldn't heal and the redness kept getting worse again. He was rehospitalized and they ran a bunch of tests to see what was wrong. His blood had undetectable levels of zinc in it. One of his drs is one of the leading researchers in the country on pediatric zinc deficiency, so that helped. :)

Wow - glad you had someone who could figure it out. I have to be on extremely high levels of folate to absorb any, so I understand.

FindingMercy 01-24-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by September (Post 16200391)
Wow that's incredible! Did they ever find out what caused him to be so deficient? Not a mal-absorption issue since supplements are working...or was it?

He was probably deficient at birth due to his birth mom being very sick during pregnancy and unable to eat much. He also used up whatever stores he had trying to repair his skin (zinc is necessary for skin regeneration and repair). On top of that he's been diagnosed with multiple allergies and has inflammation to his upper intestine that blocks absorption of some things. He had a lot of cards stacked against him. I posted his hospital saga a while back. It's titled "The diaper rash that led to hospitalization" if you want to see pics and such.

Sorry to hijack!

l_Kimmie_l 01-24-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FindingMercy (Post 16200835)
He was probably deficient at birth due to his birth mom being very sick during pregnancy and unable to eat much. He also used up whatever stores he had trying to repair his skin (zinc is necessary for skin regeneration and repair). On top of that he's been diagnosed with multiple allergies and has inflammation to his upper intestine that blocks absorption of some things. He had a lot of cards stacked against him. I posted his hospital saga a while back. It's titled "The diaper rash that led to hospitalization" if you want to see pics and such.

Sorry to hijack!

Don't be sorry. This could help another person. Poor lil man. Glad he is doing better now. Nothing like going in for one thing and finding something else.