Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   It's SO much money... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484869)

ardeur 01-24-2013 10:49 AM

It's SO much money...

I just wrote a $4500 check to our homebirth midwives group. I have an appointment this afternoon and I was going to pay off the balance then. (I hate making payments and like getting my bills paid up front - always.)

THAT'S SO MUCH MONEY!

My HMO insurance will cover *everything* 100% if I have a hospital birth. *sigh* This hospital has a policy to induce at 40 to 41 weeks and they have a very high c-section rate.

I've been dreaming of a natural birth at home since I was a 11 years old watching my mother birth my sister at home.

Please say something to take my mind off this hefty chunk of cash! It's starting to make me a little sick. And no... my HMO insurance won't cover a penny.

MrsCrafty 01-24-2013 11:10 AM

Re: It's SO much money...

I think that like your mom birthing your sister at home, it'll be memories you'll never forget. :goodvibes:

cheezpoofs 01-24-2013 11:15 AM

At least you had the money to pay it. I hope that your birth is everything you hope and dream of and that you will find that it was well worth the money you spent to make it happen.

It really sucks that insurance companies are allowed to not cover the treatment that the consumer/ customer chooses. The system really is broken.

solobluedancer 01-24-2013 11:18 AM

It's just money. You can always get more money. But you will only have that particular experience ONCE.

scwendy 01-24-2013 11:18 AM

It is less than the price of most used cars that may or may not last 5 years (10 years even), and the memories will be forever.

It is a shame that insurance providers get to pick and choose the birth professionals and environment that they will cover:(

peaches330 01-24-2013 11:29 AM

I know it's so hard to pay that chunk of money, but it'll be worth it in the long run. I've paid my midwife a total of $7000 in the last 3 years (and that's not including any money I've paid for birth supplies, tests, ultrasounds, etc. Just her fees) and thinking about it that way stings! BUT money comes and goes, you can always make more. You won't be able to get back your experiences though and if you feel more comfortable birthing a certain way then that is something that you will remember forever.

RainandRedemption 01-24-2013 01:05 PM

Like cheezpoofs said, at least you had the money to pay for it. Seriously. It's a LOT of cash, but there are plenty of ppl who probably want very badly to birth at home and can't cause they don't have the money.

And the only reason we spend our time to earn money is to pursue our dreams right? I had a homebirth with dd and it was seriously amazing. So peaceful and comfortable, and I will value that forever. :hugs:

newtocloth2 01-24-2013 01:29 PM

I'm delivering at a birth center with this one, and insurance doesn't cover it at all, either. :( I just wanted to experience one birth that wasn't in a hospital.

JennTheMomma 01-24-2013 01:55 PM

Like a PP said, it's just money. Yes it's a lot *right now*, but you can always get more money but you will not get another chance with *this* baby. You will only birth this baby once :)

mommycass 01-24-2013 06:57 PM

I'm in the same boat. We're choosing a homebirth, paying out of pocket, when our insurance would cover a hospital birth 100%. Our midwife will be receiving payments after our birth still because we don't have it all up front. It is a big bill I wish we didn't have to pay but it's sooo worth it to me to have the relaxed birth I want.
My last birth was a homebirth as well and I wouldn't have it any other way! If its what you really want you won't regret how much you pay for it :hugs: