Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   BC/family planning after the baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484891)

MrsCrafty 01-24-2013 12:51 PM

BC/family planning after the baby?

Just wondering what people are planning for BC or family planning after their LO is born?
We definitely want atleast 1 more but I'm not sure exactly how we''ll decide to space it. Since I'm a school nurse this will work perfectly for us since my maternity leave gets me to the summer, so I'll get 4 months off. BC gives me bad side effects and my uterus isn't shaped right for an IUD. I probably need to research more but you usually don't ovulate while your BFing?

dagmomma 01-24-2013 01:08 PM

Re: BC/family planning after the baby?

While breastfeeding I typically did not get my cycle back until around 9+ months postpartum. That is whay my children are spaced the way they are. DS1 and DS2 are 19 months apart DS2 and DD are 28 months apart and DD1 and new baby will be around 19-20 months apart.

I nursed ds1 to 1 yr ds2 to 18 months and dd to around 13-14 months.

This is our last baby. I think I am going to get a tubal. But I am confused on if I do if I can nurse and if I can not are they going to feed baby formula in the hospital? That is a no for me. So not sure yet what I will do. I HATE the pill and dh will not get a V. So not sure yet what I will do.

momneedssupport 01-24-2013 01:32 PM

I didnt get my cycle back until 15m pp with #2 and tgen got pregnant 5 months later.......so while nursing i think condoms and spermicide work good for us, but hubby wants a snip snip. Who knows when that will happen since it costs $$. We are done, though. Cant afford more than 3:)

mibarra 01-24-2013 01:34 PM

Using BFing to avoid pregnancy is hit or miss, since it's hard to tell when you're cycle will come back, you could end up pregnant before you even have a period. We honestly just did condoms. Not ideal, but there was no way I was going on hormonal stuff for such a short time, and it works.

We'll probably do something at least semi-permanent after this baby since we are most likely done, and then something permanent once we are sure we're done. :)

RunawayBunny 01-24-2013 01:36 PM

Good question. I have only ever used condoms or pull out "method" as birth control (same guy, 11 years, no oops babies... yet). That's probably the route we will take until DH gets the V done (in a year or so). I dont ovulate very often, though, so between our "bc method", nursing, and my body we should be ok. And if not then we are prepared to handle it.

bai18176 01-24-2013 02:02 PM

We have always used condoms. Birth control and i do not agree. My DH may get a V this time, if we decide we are really done :). Lucky ladies to not have your period for so long after a baby! With my last I got it at 5w pp. And I am positive that's what it was. With the previous two it was 3 months. I have never supplemented my milk and wait until 8 months before solids. I am just extremely fertile. I wish I could pass some of it on to people who are struggling sometimes!

mibarra 01-24-2013 02:42 PM

I forgot to mention that we never chance it through charting, BFing, pull out, etc. We are super fertile. Conceived DD1 after I'd been on the pill for 8 years within 2 cycles, DD1 the first time I ovulated after we started trying, same with my miscarriage and baby #3. ;)

MrsCrafty 01-24-2013 02:50 PM

I thin we might use condoms for awhile, and then just if it happens, it happens. :goodvibes:

delicatefade 01-24-2013 03:49 PM

I really don't know. I feel done. So does DH. But I will not get a tubal... Too many horror stories of post tubal. I'm also torn as to whether it is fair to ask DH to gt a V because I wonder about the after effects of that too. We were either avoiding or pulling out during my fertile time, but that got us baby 4, lol!

melilo 01-24-2013 04:22 PM

Won't do hormonal, totally turned off by the thought of hubby getting a "V", and would not go through surgery to sterilize myself.

So.... NFP and condoms have worked great for us.