Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Sticking with simplicity in a consumerist society... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1484916)

FernHollow 01-24-2013 12:29 PM

Sticking with simplicity in a consumerist society...

Deleting for privacy reasons.

badmisterkitty 01-24-2013 02:25 PM

Re: Sticking with simplicity in a consumerist society...

Adequate seating in a vehicle is a definite need. I think to find the answer to that question, you have to weigh the pros and cons of the retrofit v. the pros and cons of a newer van. Like having enough cargo space, are the riders comfortable, is the current van reliable....I know most vehicles built in the 2000's are meant to drive for a couple hundred thousand miles. 90K isn't that many miles.

The diapers are tougher, though. I don't think you have to go all or nothing when it comes to the diapers. If you are primarily motivated by money, flats and covers are the way to go. If you are motivated purely by simplicity and find fitteds to be the simpler system, then that's your answer. Or how about a little of both? Or bamboo flats or prefolds? I recently destashed about 3/4 of my diapers in favor of prefolds, flats and a few AIO's. And then committed to not buying diapers again unless something was in dire need of replacement. Making do. Use it up. Wear it out. And all that jazz.

It is SO. HARD. to keep oneself checked against consumerism. I read about simplicity and saving money and rarely come across any tips or tricks that I haven't seen before. If you have the money, it's even harder, but it comes down to making a solid commitment, having a goal in mind for your saved money, finding workable solutions with what you have or purchasing items that truly contribute to simplicity.

harmoni247 01-24-2013 03:28 PM

For me, I do best if I try to make most things. I really want a big braided rug. Ive wanted one for a long time, but I can make one with fabric scraps, and I haven't yet. If I have the ability to make something, and I wont even commit to that, then I obviously don't want it enough, so I shouldn't spend money on it either. Then, if I actually DO make it, I end up loving it so much more since I made it. I do occasionally make Etsy exceptions if my skill cant come anywhere near the quality of their item, the quality is important in that specific item, and its a classic piece that will move with me through the years. I obviously get carried away at times and fail miserably on a trip to target :blush: , but it does have the best success rate so far.....

P!nkPepper 01-24-2013 03:38 PM

It is very hard. I go in waves. I have lots of wants but not the funds. Plus we really don't need most of it. I just try to tell myself that.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

jessica377 01-24-2013 09:30 PM

No great solutions but when I am thinking about buying something I ask myself a billion questions...do I need it? Is it really different than what I have? Will it make life easier or more fun? Where will I put it? Is it hard to take care of? Would I rather go out to eat with a friend?on and on...it helps tell me if I really want it or am just in mood to buy.

pgkcb13 01-25-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmoni247 (Post 16201397)
For me, I do best if I try to make most things. I really want a big braided rug. Ive wanted one for a long time, but I can make one with fabric scraps, and I haven't yet. If I have the ability to make something, and I wont even commit to that, then I obviously don't want it enough, so I shouldn't spend money on it either. Then, if I actually DO make it, I end up loving it so much more since I made it. I do occasionally make Etsy exceptions if my skill cant come anywhere near the quality of their item, the quality is important in that specific item, and its a classic piece that will move with me through the years. I obviously get carried away at times and fail miserably on a trip to target :blush: , but it does have the best success rate so far.....

I do this with things too, lol. Procrastination can be a great friend too! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quickshep19 (Post 16201442)
It is very hard. I go in waves. I have lots of wants but not the funds. Plus we really don't need most of it. I just try to tell myself that.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

This.

Right now I'm trying to not buy things for the baby. We honestly don't need anything. At all. And we're really trying to make this a no spend year (despite the universe working against us) But I WANT wool, and cute little nb dipes, and matching things for all three kids, etc etc.

Right now it's just about not ordering anything each day. Realistically I know a lot of stuff never got used with YDD and we were much more minimal with her than ODD.

ETA:
As far as you general question, I think having a family mission statement is an awesome idea that we're going to try. That way when we're feeling conflicted we can read it and remember that our priorities are time together and being out doors and being easy on the environments, etc... not having a bunch of stuff or the newest tech, or whatever.

cherylchoo 01-25-2013 07:12 AM

It is very hard. Especially when you hit #3. You are already full of nesting hormones and want to buy stuff, and you know you probably already have enough stuff already. And IDK why, but people still buy things for the new baby, LOL, after s/he comes.

It is my experience it is difficult to diapers ahead of time because you never know what is going to work for *this* kid. They may have fit issues, or fabric sensitivity issues, or the diapers don't rinse out enough for detergent issues, etc. I think it is practical to buy ahead, but only stuff you can resell or repurpose in case it doesn't work. I loved flats with #3...after he hit six weeks and was sleeping longer stretches, LOL. And there were times I really didn't have the time to fold them and went for the PFs or something else. And then because I was saving so much money on flats and PFs, I felt I could splurge on wool, especially if I made it, LOL. It is slippery slope and a continuing challenge.

And the car thing is very difficult. I have BTDT, and we wound up getting different car seats instead of a different car. There are so many variables when you have to figure out how to seat 3+ children.

But even now, after no more babies and car seating issues resolved, I still struggle with the consumerism every day. I try to delay all purchases as much as possible, make it more about the chase than the catch, as it were, to try to prevent acquiring unnecessary stuff. It never ends.

cherylchoo 01-25-2013 07:12 AM

It is very hard. Especially when you hit #3 and beyond. You are already full of nesting hormones and want to buy stuff, and you know you probably already have enough stuff already. And IDK why, but people still buy things for the new baby, LOL, after s/he comes.

It is my experience it is difficult to diapers ahead of time because you never know what is going to work for *this* kid. They may have fit issues, or fabric sensitivity issues, or the diapers don't rinse out enough for detergent issues, etc. I think it is practical to buy ahead, but only stuff you can resell or repurpose in case it doesn't work. I loved flats with #3...after he hit six weeks and was sleeping longer stretches, LOL. And there were times I really didn't have the time to fold them and went for the PFs or something else. And then because I was saving so much money on flats and PFs, I felt I could splurge on wool, especially if I made it, LOL. It is slippery slope and a continuing challenge.

And the car thing is very difficult. I have BTDT, and we wound up getting different car seats instead of a different car. There are so many variables when you have to figure out how to seat 3+ children.

But even now, after no more babies and car seating issues resolved, I still struggle with the consumerism every day. I try to delay all purchases as much as possible, make it more about the chase than the catch, as it were, to try to prevent acquiring unnecessary stuff. It never ends.

thirdtimemomma 01-25-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FernHollow (Post 16200409)
I would love to hear your thoughts on how you stick to minimalism and simplicity in your life even at times that you are feeling the consumerist pressure. We recently found out we are expecting #6 and I am pretty sure I am going to feel pulled towards minimalism even more after the baby is born. I know that I will need to purchase some needs for this baby and will need to do it slowly over the pregnancy because of a tight budget if I want quality vs quantity. I am feeling the urge to want to BUY! but I know we are happiest fairly close to radical minimalism. I gave up on minimalism for a couple years and was miserable from it. Our family all feels this way.

For example we will either need to retrofit our existing van to have 2 rows of 3rd row seats (yes this is safe and recommended by the manufacturer) or somehow find the money to buy a new minivan that seats 8. The van is a 2001 but only has 90k on it and is in good condition and has almost new tires. Or what about feeling the pull to buy a nice (but fairly simple) stash of fancy bamboo fitteds when likely flats would work just fine and cost a fraction of the money. How do you decide what is reasonable vs feeling like consumerism is rearing its head. It isn't so much about the money aspect but more questioning my "needs".

Usually my DH will help me find balance.. when we were expecting number six we upsized to a chevy 12 passenger. We prayed about it and actually bought it on ebay the night he was born. We had been looking since baby #5.

Also when we had six I used my flats but bought a dozen pockets because I knew i would have those days I didn't want to fold flats at all. Per DHs advice. I had two in dipes and each had a dozen pockets. So I could wash more often and have a flat free day here and there. Now with 7 I have all pockets

So the balance for me was to be moderate in my choices and prayer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

FernHollow 01-25-2013 11:56 AM