Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   What age did you start cereal and solids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485022)

Mellymel 01-24-2013 04:46 PM

What age did you start cereal and solids?

At our 4 month check up my Dr. said I can start feeding her anytime now.. I don't feel she is ready so I'm going to wait closer to 5.5-6 months. What age did you start? and what food/foods did you start with? and what size was your baby? My daughter is a tiny little thing just over 12 pounds. I wonder if that has anything to do with me not thinking she's ready....

cyanotype 01-24-2013 05:34 PM

We don't do cereal as a first food. It's not the best for their tummies. We started with avocado around 9 months.
www.wholesomebaby.com & www.baby-led.com/ are some good sites to check out.

Most likely nursing and typing. Please pardon any mistakes. :mrgreen:

Mellymel 01-24-2013 05:43 PM

Re: What age did you start cereal and solids?

LaurenAppenzeller 01-24-2013 06:08 PM

We just now started at 6 1/2 most and we do sweet potato, super easy just throw one in the oven then scoop out no need to puree or anything, applesauce, banana and avocado cut into little pieces, steamed carrots, beets, really anything that is healthy and baby appropriate and soft and cut up small enough. She's tried lots of what we eat. At this point for her its not really for nutrition as much as explorationWe never did cereal either and I totally think there is no hurry you can start whene ver you feel like she's ready.

abunchoflemons 01-24-2013 06:21 PM

I started at 6 months. Fruits then veggies.not cereal as my seconds didn't like bfing baby. Oldest lived cereal at 4 months.

hbee 01-24-2013 07:09 PM

4 months. DD had reflux and it helped. But, she also finally started meds around that time too so it may have been that.

tricia17lee 01-24-2013 07:24 PM

This.

Even the American Academy of Peds recommends waiting til 6 months for solids.
I didn't even do grains until 9ish months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanotype (Post 16201888)
We don't do cereal as a first food. It's not the best for their tummies. We started with avocado around 9 months.

COIrishMom 01-25-2013 09:48 AM

Everything I've read indicates that 4 months is too early. True, the old recommendations were to start rice cereal at 4 months. But over the years, experts have noticed that babies started that early on rice cereal were more prone to food allergies. Now the recommendation from most experts (La Leche League and I think the AAP) is to wait until 6 months when the digestive tract is more developed. Our pediatrician recommends waiting until at least 6 months, and our family doctor says we can wait even longer than that, unless he is struggling to grow. Also important: a lot of experts no longer recommend cereal as the first food. Instead, they recommend a fruit or veggie that is easy to digest, like banana, avocado or sweet potato. Some (like our pediatrician) also recommend meat since babies come equipped with enzymes to digest protein. Check out KellyMom.com, which is a website that utilizes a lot of wonderful, research based information from the La Leche League. I think it may have been that website where I read that the American Academy of Pediatrics has changed their recommendations and no longer recommends rice cereal at 4 months and instead recommends any easy to digest fruit or veggie at 6 months. However, don't quote me on that.

My DS is almost 6 months. He was exhibiting signs of being ready for solids (reaching for our food, hollering while we eat like he wants some, able to sit up), so we tried some avocado mixed with breastmilk. While he liked it, his tummy seemed off for a few days afterwards. His tummy has always been touchy, so we're backing up and waiting a bit longer to try again.

Most important of all: trust your momma instincts! It's been my experience that they're usually right :)

Mellymel 01-25-2013 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone! I am going to wait until 6 months at least :)

Tris 01-25-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanotype (Post 16201888)

This exactly. We didn't introduce solids until she was looking interested, and we started with real food, puréed if necessary, never filler foods like cereal.