Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   First signs of irritation, help!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485106)

OctBaby 01-24-2013 08:04 PM

First signs of irritation, help!!

During the day I use BG freetimes w no problems. At night I use 2 cotton bamboo inserts in a BG 3.0. Lately My ds wakes up with red patches (so not rash looking more irritation)... I'm not sure what is causing this?

Pixi6s 01-24-2013 08:07 PM

Re: First signs of irritation, help!!

I like to use the bg pockets for nighttime. I do the mf inserts stuffed on the top and hemp underneath. The theory, the mf absorbs very quickly and the hemp holds the moisture back. How soaked are the inserts?

I've read that people (often ones not doing say dry) have luck doing a thin layer of coconut oil on the bum before every evening. Could try that as well.

Amjohnstone32 01-24-2013 08:07 PM

Natural fibers, like hemp and bamboo are great for nighttime, but, they are also hard to get as clean as daytime a because they get a good soaking from babes urine. A bit of ammonia build-up maybe? What kind of detergent do you use, and have you tried extra rinses or boiling the bamboo?

OctBaby 01-24-2013 08:13 PM

The inserts are soaked in the am... Maybe i should add another?! Although they aren't dripping or anything

I have been washing them w my diapers, cold wash, hot wash w BG detergent, cold cycle.
I've been using these for a month.. Can they get build up that fast?

nonipie 01-24-2013 08:56 PM

Buildup possibly from just not getting clean enough. Do they smell at all? I would try using more detergent and a bit of bleach.

ashleyg103 01-25-2013 06:10 AM

I use 4.0s at night stuffed with a hemp prefold and extra hemp insert, i let the inserts soak in some hot water and oxy in the morning then rinse them out and throw in the wet bag, it really helps, I also started putting some coconut oil on their bums during the day and right before bed and thats helped alot with any irritation.

alyssamama22 01-25-2013 06:33 AM

I make my own detergent would with borax and oxy would that get the smell out

TrennaII 01-25-2013 09:01 AM

Does the redness stick around or go away? Does she let you know that it's painful?

I'd use lanolin over coconut oil for night, because the lanolin is closer to skin's natural oils, and it helps break down urine into water.

If you can try that diaper combo during the day, and see if they smell strongly right when she pees on them ... then it suggests you have some buildup issues. There are an overwhelming number of possible solutions for that, but boiling the inserts is a good start. After years of trying other stuff, I only ever use cotton flats at night, with a very thin hemp doubler, because they're so easy to get clean. The hemp doubler gets rinsed first thing in the morning.

If the diaper makes your eyes burn when you take it off, you're getting some ammonia. This can be from buildup, but it's also just what happens to urine over time, especially without air and with warmth. The night diaper with a PUL cover is the perfect storm for accelerating ammonia.

If you think that's the problem, you can try a fleece or wool cover.

It definitely sounds like you need more absorbency.

OctBaby 01-25-2013 10:48 AM

It does have a smell but its not ammonia. I wish I knew how to describe it...it has had the smell since day one and I chalked it up to the smell of wet bamboo. It's not an alarming smell. And the inserts were bought new, not used

The irritation goes away quickly - I have just put him in sposies and used boudreauxs and its gone by the next day.

Ill make sure to boil the inserts. I do have cotton flats so ill try that as well.

OctBaby 01-25-2013 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the help btw!!!