Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Book/Article Recommendations for Husband/Birth Partner (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485276)

junvwekt 01-25-2013 11:16 AM

Book/Article Recommendations for Husband/Birth Partner

I am planning a home birth with a CPM (actually, two, since my MIL will be there & she is licensed in another state). My husband will be there to support me, but this is our first baby so we are both noobs and we don't know what we're doing! :) I'm doing my own research & such, but he has less spare time because he's working more.

Is there a good (but short!) book or some online articles y'all could recommend for him to get the basics of what will happen & what he can do to support me through labor?

My midwife will have one or two assistants & my MIL will be there as well. Do you think there will be enough people to help and/or give him instructions, or should I force him to read a bunch of stuff to prepare?

Thanks!

March 01-25-2013 11:24 AM

Penny Simkin's "The Birth Partner" was invaluable to both of us during my first labor!

DesertRat 01-25-2013 12:42 PM

Re: Book/Article Recommendations for Husband/Birth Partner

The Bradley Birth book is good!

EmilytheStrange 01-26-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat
The Bradley Birth book is good!

Yep :)

DH only read the section I bookmarked for him so he would be familiar with all the labor stages and signs to look for during the transitions.

Neither of us really needed to read all the convincing about why natural is good, etc that we already knew.

We also took a crash course in the Bradley Method because there were no instructors in our state and we went home for a baby shower and a Bradley Instructor agreed to do a 2-3hr crash course. I think that helped him a ton. Again, she really emphasized the stages and how to encourage and help mom during the transitions.

Course, for a homebirth, you'll have the support you need for those transitions, but it's always good if he understands why you're fine and excited one minute and terrified the next, etc etc.

It's such a rollercoaster at times.

EmilyA874 01-26-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by March (Post 16204926)
Penny Simkin's "The Birth Partner" was invaluable to both of us during my first labor!

:yeahthat: Both DH and I read "The Birth Partner" great book!

junvwekt 01-27-2013 06:32 AM

Thanks, ladies! :) I'm a little nervous because someone just asked me about it on facebook & I answered them so now it's "out there" that I'm having a homebirth. I feel prepared (but are you ever really prepared for labor & all that it entails?), but some people will probably think I'm just being stupid & naive because I'm so young & this is my first child & I'll never be able to give birth without a hospital/medication... at least that's the impression a few people have given when I tell them I'm planning a homebirth. :p

EmilytheStrange 01-27-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junvwekt (Post 16211713)
Thanks, ladies! :) I'm a little nervous because someone just asked me about it on facebook & I answered them so now it's "out there" that I'm having a homebirth. I feel prepared (but are you ever really prepared for labor & all that it entails?), but some people will probably think I'm just being stupid & naive because I'm so young & this is my first child & I'll never be able to give birth without a hospital/medication... at least that's the impression a few people have given when I tell them I'm planning a homebirth. :p

people think that even when you tell them you're planning a natural birth at a hospital :) I think a lot of people who do not choose/want an unmedicated birth feel a little put off when other people do. Like you might think you're better than them or something. Like you think it's a competition. Not all, some people are completely comfortable with their birthing decisions :)

but that's the impression I got with my first. Not as many people ask or care when you're having the 2nd baby it seems. But when it's your first and you don't technically know what you're getting yourself into, people love to tell you scary stories and undermine your resolve.

sounds like you'll have plenty of people there to assist, I wouldn't let anyone mess with your head :)

cdeweese 01-28-2013 07:57 PM

Just wanted to pipe in and say it sounds like you're going to have a lot of support from family which will definitely help things :) Just don't scare yourself and politely decline any horror stories offered to you. Go in with the attitude of 'whatever happens, happens'. Don't agonize over what might/might not happen. You can make the best of any situation and still get a precious baby out of it.

junvwekt 01-30-2013 08:57 AM

Thanks! :) Yeah, I'm not dead-set on a homebirth (like some people would rather die than go to a hospital), so I'm open to whatever happens & whatever is needed to get the baby out safe & sound.

~happy2Bamommy~ 01-30-2013 02:55 PM

I liked the books by Ina Gaskin for the most part.

Birthing from Within was good too.

If you haven't seen a copy of A Child is Born, check your library. I really liked that book for the color photos of a babies development leading up to birth.

I made the choice to have my first at home. I was young too. I caught a LOT of flack for my choice. It ended up being exactly what I wanted with her. . I ended up having all 5 of mine at home and have had incredible experiences each time.