Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Had our 20 week ultrasound today... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485387)

MyM&W 01-25-2013 05:00 PM

Baby is right on target with my due date...but the baby has a cyst in the 4th ventricle in the brain. :( I don't even know how to comprehend this...

MDever 01-25-2013 05:07 PM

Re: Had our 20 week ultrasound today...

Oh gosh mama:hugs: I am sorry to hear that it didn't go as planned. Are they planning to follow the baby closer now? Idk anything about that type of issue.

ktmelody 01-25-2013 05:36 PM

I have had 2 babies with choroid plexus cysts. Without any other genetic markers they almost always go away by 24 weeks and cause no harm at all.

With ds it was there at 17 weeks, 20 weeks and gone at 24. He had no other markers. With dd it was gone at 27 weeks, she did have a soft marker on her heart but it ended up being nothing.

As long as there isn't any other issue with baby I wouldn't get too upset, it almost always is nothing. In fact it is listed as 99 percent harmless in babies. (Less than one percent of babies with cysts have trisomy 18).

Did they say there were any other markers or that they will re scan you in 4 weeks?

twinpossible 01-25-2013 06:43 PM

I like the pp, she is so right! Try not to worry. I am so sorry your u/s was not a lovely experience with only happy things to say. We had a small scare at our 20 week u/s too, the baby has a two vessel cord. Bottom line is neither of our issues are horrible and both of our babies will be fine, it just sucks that it is something to worry about. Hugs to you mama.

mabelinoad 01-25-2013 06:50 PM

:hugs:

txmommytobe 01-25-2013 07:57 PM

My youngest son also had this marker but it ended up being nothing and did go away. Please try not to stress. Hugs!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

keen1981 01-25-2013 07:58 PM

Mine too. All is well.

MyM&W 01-25-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 16206157)
Oh gosh mama:hugs: I am sorry to hear that it didn't go as planned. Are they planning to follow the baby closer now? Idk anything about that type of issue.

Yes we will need another scan at a better hospital that's 3hrs away.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 16206281)
I have had 2 babies with choroid plexus cysts. Without any other genetic markers they almost always go away by 24 weeks and cause no harm at all.

With ds it was there at 17 weeks, 20 weeks and gone at 24. He had no other markers. With dd it was gone at 27 weeks, she did have a soft marker on her heart but it ended up being nothing.

As long as there isn't any other issue with baby I wouldn't get too upset, it almost always is nothing. In fact it is listed as 99 percent harmless in babies. (Less than one percent of babies with cysts have trisomy 18).

Did they say there were any other markers or that they will re scan you in 4 weeks?

Its in the brain....not the heart. Were you talking about the heart?

ktmelody 01-25-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyM&W
Yes we will need another scan at a better hospital that's 3hrs away.

Its in the brain....not the heart. Were you talking about the heart?

No. The brain. They are called choroid plexus cysts. It can be a marker for trisomy 18 if there is echogenic foci in the heart as well along with other markers.

If it is just a cyst in the brain with no other markers in 99 percent of cases they resolve and its just nothing.

They are fairly common and usually go away by 24 weeks.

MyM&W 01-25-2013 08:59 PM

Ill look it up. Thanks :)