Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Formula at 9 months (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485411)

sharper75 01-25-2013 05:40 PM

Formula at 9 months

Dr needs us to supplement formula with Sophie bc she is very underweight. She hasn't wanted anything to do with it. Recommendations?

Tris 01-25-2013 05:52 PM

Re: Formula at 9 months

Try a different formula? I lost my milk at about 8 months and switch to formula, it took a few different bottles and nipples to get it right but we got it. Have you tried it cold vs warm?

sandy_dandy 01-25-2013 05:55 PM

Maybe pump some breast milk, and try adding formula to it? Perhaps if the bottle tastes like milk, that would help?

My kids never had formula so someone else may know better... just throwing out an idea!

meahr29 01-25-2013 06:09 PM

You could try a supplemental feeding system. That way she's getting the formula while nursing. She can have both breastmilk and formula simultaneously, or you can pinch the tube to the feeder to cut off the formula if you want her to have breastmilk only (might be a good idea to wait for your breast to empty before releasing the formula so your supply isn't affected). You can find them online for less than $20.

SPJ&E 01-25-2013 06:44 PM

If the above tips don't work, maybe try a cup instead of a bottle. Some babies just have no interest in bottles at all. Also, have you tried having someone else give her the formula?

I hope you get her to take it soon. We've been through the underweight kiddo thing (he dropped off the chart for months) and it is no fun!

munroe 09-15-2013 08:23 AM

Some good tips here! If she'll take a bottle (or drink from a cup or a sippy cup) but doesn't like the taste of the formula, you could make your own. The Weston A. Price Foundation has several recipes for different types of baby formula.

Adding formula to pumped breast milk is also a good way to increase her caloric intake. We did this with our preemie while he was underweight.

wumblefutz 09-15-2013 11:25 AM

Try the comotomo bottle. It's the only one my lo would take. And we order formula from France; it takes awhile to get but is so worth it. The brand is called Holle.

Silver)O(Moon 09-15-2013 05:58 PM

Similac Organic! Tastes a little sweeter, similar to breastmilk. I have read a lot of reviews that say breastfeeding infants take to it well. But by 9 mos I would say you could go with increasing her solids if all else fails. Aim for 3 meals of solids a day with 4-6 nursing sessions.

chamise 10-20-2013 07:47 PM

Oh didn't know they made organic formula!

Sha-nanagins 10-21-2013 10:36 AM

There are actually several brands of organic. Even Walmart (Parent's Choice) is making an organic that's available in some locations.

Some of the others are:

Earth's Best
Babies Only
Similac