Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Homemade Laundry Soap for Diapers??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485471)

Raspberry Kisses 01-25-2013 09:08 PM

Homemade Laundry Soap for Diapers???

Is it okay to use homemade laundry soap on cloth diapers?

Here's my recipe:
1 bar Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap, grated
2 cups Borax
2 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

I started making this for my regular laundry about a year ago and it works really well, even getting out some stains that weren't pretreated. I use approximately 1 TBSP per large load. I have a front load washer and hard water.

I just don't know if it's safe to use this on my cloth diapers... Also, if it IS okay, should I switch to the unscented baby bar instead of the peppermint?

maddies.mom 01-26-2013 01:54 AM

Re: Homemade Laundry Soap for Diapers???

bumping this, as I am curious to know also!! I have a similar homemade soap for my laundry except it is a fels naptha soap bar instead of the dr. bronners. I am expecting in april and am building my nb stash, but haven't washed them yet!! I have a HE top loader... would love to not have to buy anything different since this stuff lasts FOREVER!!!

Raspberry Kisses 01-26-2013 12:46 PM

Congratulations!!! :D And thank you. I'm hoping someone has tried this before me so I can learn from them! :)

I use Dr. Bronner's because I'm allergic to lye based soaps. Original Tide gives me a rash as do many other detergents, but "natural" soaps and detergents don't get our clothes clean. I used to use Allen's Naturally on my DD's pocket diapers, but they came out of the dryer smelling like ammonia. :yuck: Would have to bleach the inserts occasionally to get the smell out.

I'm expecting baby #2 due in 10 weeks and planning to cloth diaper again so I need to know what I can do to get them clean!

Raspberry Kisses 01-26-2013 06:18 PM

Does ANYONE else make their own laundry detergent??? Can you use it for diapers? Help please!

maddies.mom 01-26-2013 07:19 PM

yay for 10 weeks for you!! I am not far behind... I will be 27 weeks along on tuesday :D hoping someone chimes in!

Ladyinwaiting72 01-26-2013 07:24 PM

I did for a long time. YOu may want to go read this thread:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1257537

The Bronners does a good Job at first but does cause buildup faster than other detergents. A little tweaking of your recipe by adding 2T Dawn to the powdered mix and some oxy may help prevent this.

The thread i pasted above is helpful. but not really till page 3 or 4

FriedaT 01-26-2013 07:30 PM

I make ours but it doesn't have soap. Natural detergents left stink and commercial ones left her rashy so I started experimenting making my own. I use a recipe I found on the Internet but I need to find it again as I'm almost out and don't remember it. It's made out of washing soda, baking soda, borax, and oxygen cleaner. I also add some GSE to each load.

March 01-27-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedaT
I make ours but it doesn't have soap. Natural detergents left stink and commercial ones left her rashy so I started experimenting making my own. I use a recipe I found on the Internet but I need to find it again as I'm almost out and don't remember it. It's made out of washing soda, baking soda, borax, and oxygen cleaner. I also add some GSE to each load.

How does that work without any surfactant? I've seen local moms talk about using recipes like this and it kind of blows my mind. Surfactants are necessary, I would think, to pull anything out of fabric.

max'smamma 01-27-2013 09:13 AM

I used the Fels Naptha, Borax and Super Washing Soda combo in liquid form for a couple years diapering. Worked just fine for me. I had to strip the diapers every once in awhile. I quit using it because I was using it on all my clothes, and the whites were dingy-looking using this and I also noticed that my husband's deodorant smell was still in his shirts after washing, so it had me second guessing the stuff for the diapers.

I'm currently using Tide Regular but am thinking of making my own again and switching back and forth. I'm SUPER curious about the Dawn combo in there, though...I feel like Dawn is the super-cleaner! :)

FriedaT 01-27-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by March

How does that work without any surfactant? I've seen local moms talk about using recipes like this and it kind of blows my mind. Surfactants are necessary, I would think, to pull anything out of fabric.

I don't know, I thought the same before trying it. I tried it with soap and that made her very rashy so I used that up on clothes and started trying soapless ones on the diapers. It's working wonderfully for us.