Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nipple Shield question. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485520)

evasimone 01-26-2013 07:35 AM

Nipple Shield question.
 
How is a baby supposed to latch when you are wearing a nipple shield? I am working with a LC and after trying a lot of different things we settled on using a nipple shield temporarily. My issue is that its not really any better, my DD just latches onto my nipple with the shield and she actually made me bleed through the shield yesterday.

I am putting her on like I was shown by the LC and I told the LC when we were doing it that it seems like she's on my nipple and was told to just keep pushing her in. What I've been doing is touch upper lip, wait for open mouth and push baby on and hold her in tight. It just seems like with the shield she isn't able to latch onto my areola at all. Any tips? Or ideas? Or is that just how a shield works?

3 ladybugs 01-26-2013 07:42 AM

Re: Nipple Shield question.
 
Sorry my experience isn't relevant.
Good luck!

BeccaSueCongdon 01-26-2013 08:41 AM

Is your lactation person an IBCLC? That description of how to use the shield sounds inaccurate. If baby is basing tissue damage, then its not in properly. Did she tell you to turn it inside out (it'll look like a sombrero), place it on the nipple, and then turn it right side out once its on the nipple? It should you more closely that way.

And the milk should not be pooling in the tip of it, if that means there is a lot of empty space in the tip - that will encourage a very shallow latch, which is what causes the tissue damage.

I'd strongly encourage double checking with your LC, and if they're giving you this bad advice (and its not that you've misunderstood) I would get a different one. :-). Many "lactation consultants" are under-trained. The IBCLC credential is the gold standard, and much more training and experience is required before they are allowed tow IRL with the public.

evasimone 01-26-2013 09:47 AM

Re: Nipple Shield question.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon (Post 16208332)
Is your lactation person an IBCLC? That description of how to use the shield sounds inaccurate. If baby is basing tissue damage, then its not in properly. Did she tell you to turn it inside out (it'll look like a sombrero), place it on the nipple, and then turn it right side out once its on the nipple? It should you more closely that way.

And the milk should not be pooling in the tip of it, if that means there is a lot of empty space in the tip - that will encourage a very shallow latch, which is what causes the tissue damage.

I'd strongly encourage double checking with your LC, and if they're giving you this bad advice (and its not that you've misunderstood) I would get a different one. :-). Many "lactation consultants" are under-trained. The IBCLC credential is the gold standard, and much more training and experience is required before they are allowed tow IRL with the public.

I think I'll call her today and talk to her about my issue with the shield and verify what she told me . She didn't show me to turn it inside out. Just stretch it a bit and place over my nipple. I have kind of puffy areolas with kind of flat nipples and when I put it on I have at least an inch at the tip empty. The LC said the baby would "slurp" my nipple into the shield. Which she does do but then she ends up latched onto my nipple. I agree the latch is really shallow, that's the only way the baby could make the tip of my nipple bleed..

She's an RN and an IBCLC. I really like her and she's actually seen me for free twice which is super kind of her but then I am thinking what she's telling me about the shield doesnt seem right. Perhaps I do need to see a different LC just for another opinion.

AniMommy 01-26-2013 11:37 AM

Agree w/ pp that you should stretch out and roll it back before putting it on.

It may be helpful to express milk into the tip after you have it on. Gives baby immediate reward and tell him/her this is the right place. Also may calm a baby who's really hungry and has a strong suck.

The baby's lips should be on the flat part of the shield. The whole "hat" part should be in baby's mouth. The shield should stay flat and not move in and out of babys mouth as baby sucks.

I put baby's mouth on the shield - nose to nipple - rolling baby's head from bottom lip up.

I also hold my boob to keep the weight of it off the baby's mouth.

Look at the lips, are they rolled out (vs tucked in?). Roll them out if they are.

If you feel pain while using the shield, break the latch and restart.

Never keep nursing with painful latch. I know I some times didn't want to stop baby when she finally got going.

Keep trying! I'm a second time mom and I thought BF'ing would be easier second time around. Establishing a good latch (pun intended) sucks and I got cracked bleeding nipples too.

I used the shields for a couple days until my nipples healed. (Alt with air drying nips, medela lanollin and the soothies). Now I'm working to get baby weaned off.

Be patient with yourself and baby. Take deep breaths and relax as much as you can. You will get this and eventually it will be so easy you can't believe you had this much trouble.

evasimone 01-26-2013 06:34 PM

Re: Nipple Shield question.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AniMommy (Post 16209025)
Agree w/ pp that you should stretch out and roll it back before putting it on.

It may be helpful to express milk into the tip after you have it on. Gives baby immediate reward and tell him/her this is the right place. Also may calm a baby who's really hungry and has a strong suck.

The baby's lips should be on the flat part of the shield. The whole "hat" part should be in baby's mouth. The shield should stay flat and not move in and out of babys mouth as baby sucks.

I put baby's mouth on the shield - nose to nipple - rolling baby's head from bottom lip up.

I also hold my boob to keep the weight of it off the baby's mouth.

Look at the lips, are they rolled out (vs tucked in?). Roll them out if they are.

If you feel pain while using the shield, break the latch and restart.

Never keep nursing with painful latch. I know I some times didn't want to stop baby when she finally got going.

Keep trying! I'm a second time mom and I thought BF'ing would be easier second time around. Establishing a good latch (pun intended) sucks and I got cracked bleeding nipples too.

I used the shields for a couple days until my nipples healed. (Alt with air drying nips, medela lanollin and the soothies). Now I'm working to get baby weaned off.

Be patient with yourself and baby. Take deep breaths and relax as much as you can. You will get this and eventually it will be so easy you can't believe you had this much trouble.

Thank you! I have a better idea of how to use it now, your description was awesome. As for leaving a bad latch I've been guilty of that, especially when I've relatched her a zillion times already and she's screaming her head off.

I called my LC and I did misunderstand her, she told me that baby should be on the flat part not the nipple. But she didn't show me the rolling trick. I've decided to just pump until I am healed which should only be a few more days and then if unable to latch her on decently without a shield I'll attempt using one again.

kmadavis85 01-28-2013 01:04 PM

They make different sizes of nipple shields too. I bought mine at babys'r'us, but it's been about 4 years ago.

BeccaSueCongdon 01-28-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmadavis85
They make different sizes of nipple shields too. I bought mine at babys'r'us, but it's been about 4 years ago.

Yes! I forgot this, but super important!

Belbaby3728 01-28-2013 02:44 PM

Is baby sucking your nipple thru the holes of shield? That was a big issue I had when we used one.

AniMommy 01-29-2013 11:14 PM

Op, how's it going?


Remember no matter how your baby's fed, you're doing awesome!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors