Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Airline/Travel car seat situation.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485521)

Crew&West 01-26-2013 07:38 AM

Airline/Travel car seat situation..

Okay, so we are going on vacation in March and my sister (where we're going) has a Evenflo Triumph that we can use and she is going to go buy another seat for my ODS.

First question: I'm curious, if anyone has a 3yo who is about 35lbs that fits in the Evenflo?? Surely he would fit?! He's about 37-38in tall.

Also..I REALLY don't want to haul them around the airports. We have a layovers and we are not checking any bags so we will have about 3-4 bags, 2kids, my backpack/purse, hubby's backpack, and the kitchen sink. :giggle: My ODS is 45-46lbs clothed, 46in tall and 4.5yo. Can I use a CARES for both of them on the plane???

luvsviola 01-26-2013 08:10 AM

My 3.75 old and 5 year old fit fine in out Triumph. It is my 3.75 year olds main seat. He is about 35 pounds and wears size 4 pants/5 shirts.

Your oldest is too big for CARES. I believe it is 40" max.

monica-m 01-26-2013 09:31 AM

Re: Airline/Travel car seat situation..

Your 4 year old might fit in the plane seatbelt alone. I think the CARES should work for the 3 year old but keep in mind that it doesn't nothing to help the fit of the lap belt. I can't see an average sized 3 year old NOT fitting in the Triumph. We have those as program seats so I see them a lot.

Crew&West 01-26-2013 03:59 PM

Is there anything that I could use for my ODS since I can't use the CARES or would he be ok in just the lap belt on the plane??? I'm trying to avoid hauling seats, but if I HAVE to I would.

lanwenyi 01-26-2013 04:32 PM

Since he (your 4yo) has outgrown the CARES, your options are carseat or plane's lapbelt. At his age and size, the plane's lapbelt should fit him (but won't always on every kid in every plane). Since you'll have a seat for him on the other end, I'd just use the plane's lapbelt.

Crew&West 01-30-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanwenyi (Post 16210004)
Since he (your 4yo) has outgrown the CARES, your options are carseat or plane's lapbelt. At his age and size, the plane's lapbelt should fit him (but won't always on every kid in every plane). Since you'll have a seat for him on the other end, I'd just use the plane's lapbelt.

That's what I was thinking. Yes, he does have a car seat for when we get there it's just the plane ride that I don't want to haul anything if possible. I liked the cares because I can put it in my carry-on.

mrosehughes 01-30-2013 10:33 AM

The rule of thumb I think I've seen people (mainly on car-seat.org, which has a travel section) say about the lap belt alone working on the plane is 40 pounds. Since your ODS has a seat at the destination and is well over 40 pounds, I would probably just try the lap belt alone for him.