Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Operation back to the boob seems to be helping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485529)

happysmileylady 01-26-2013 09:18 AM

Operation back to the boob seems to be helping

In a very short amount of time, a couple of bottles and AF showing up have resulted in a supply problem and bottle preference. I am on a mission for the next week to correct both problems.

My goal is to have the baby nursing for more feedings than he takes a bottle, by Friday the first.

I have been doing several things. Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, 4 times a day. Offering to nurse every 2 to 2.5 hrs, and pumping after each attempt, regardless of level of success. And pumping every 3 or 4 hrs at night. And for what ever reason, nursing while standing/walking around seems to make him fight it less. I am also really focusing on one session at a time, I don't have the energy to really fight him every single time he's hungry

So, morning session has been my first focus. And he nursed, while I sat, for his full morning session this morning. Wooowhooo! My supply is also starting to improve too. We stll have a lot to do, AF hit my milk hard. I thought I would have had a better bounce back, AF is almost done.

l_Kimmie_l 01-26-2013 11:03 AM

Re: Operation back to the boob seems to be helping

Good for you for trying to get the baby back on the boob. I know from personal experience how hard that is. My son got used to a bottle after having a hard time latching as a newborn. It took me till he was on the boob only 2 times per day and 3 months old to start the process of reboobifying. It worked though. I got him on the boob again. He is 9 mos now and EBF now. He only eats solids once in a while right now, too. So, it can be done. Just takes patience and preserverance. Good job!!

happysmileylady 01-26-2013 09:03 PM

Things are going ok. Unheard very good for his second session. I had to have dd1 give him a bottle to "top him off" so to speak, because I had to handle a situation with dd2 and also take care something for DH. Then it was kinda downhill for the day. We still go some nursing in but not much. And I had little time to pump either. BUT my last pump session, I was able to pump a half ounce from each side. This is significant because baby boy only nurses on one side and always has so the left side has a significantly lower supply anyway. The fact that I got so much from that side is a big deal to me.

SO...keep on keeping on!

Art mama 01-26-2013 09:07 PM

Good luck mama!

evasimone 01-26-2013 09:50 PM

Good luck! I'll be doing something similar with DD, hopefully I'll have as much luck as you seem to be having.

happysmileylady 01-27-2013 07:46 AM

*sigh* a set back. CJ slept all night, from 8pm until 8am. I pumped at 10 and at 11:45, went to bed around midnight...and then slept through my alarm to get up and pump. And when I woke up, I could tell by my minor headache and a few other things that I was slightly dehydrated.

On the plus side, I felt a little bit full. And, he nursed on both sides when he did wake up and stopped on his own with no fussing. I did have to do some "bait and switch" with the pacifier, but when he was done, he was satisfied and not fussy. That's improvement too. And when I pumped for 10 minutes afterwards, I still got half an ounce. I now have THREE ounces in the fridge after a day, instead of just one.

Right now, having oatmeal for breakfast. And keeping on keeping on! :-)

l_Kimmie_l 01-27-2013 08:17 AM

Great job!!! Drink a ton of water too!

Art mama 01-27-2013 09:07 AM

Sounds like you're doing great!

happysmileylady 01-28-2013 03:17 PM

I don't know if I am going to be successful with this. This weekend was SO busy that I just didn't have time to fight him much. So he had at least 2 full 4 oz bottles, and I think DD1 gave him another 2 ounces earlier in the day yesterday.

Today, I got up at 4am to pump. When I got up, DD3 woke up which woke up DH. And him getting up and taking care of DD3 resulted in waking up the baby. I had JUST finished pumping, so I knew that if I tried to nurse him he was going to freak out because everything was flowing so slow. I tried just rocking him and he did fall asleep...for half an hour. Then he woke back up, so I changed his diaper and rocked him some more and he slept for all of 15 minutes and was back up. I couldn't get him to stay latched on for more than a minute, so I ended up giving him an ounce of EBM from the bottle just to get him back to sleep.

Now, once we got up for good at 8, I managed to get him to nurse, but he wouldn't let me sit down. I don't know how much he took in, but he was pretty fussy still when he was done. We nursed off an on, for only a minute or two at a time, like every 30 to 45 minutes, for a couple of hours. Then he went down for a long nap, around 11:30, and I was finally able to pump, only about half an ounce.

At 1:30, I took the girls to McDonalds to let them run around in the tubes and run off some energy. I brought a 4 ounce bottle because I wasn't going to walk around the McDonalds play place with my boob hanging out trying to get a fussy baby to latch on. But, he only took half an ounce from the bottle. I was able to get him to nurse for about 2 to 3 minutes at a time, while sitting down, about every 10 minutes, for the hour and a half that we were there.

But when we got home, he was still fussy, and hungry, gnawing on his hands and such. I couldn't get him to latch on at all, and I didn't want to waste the 3.5oz of EBM I had, so I gave him the rest of that. He went down for another nap, so I pumped, and got less than half an ounce.

I am frustrated and tired. I am going to keep fighting till Friday, but I just don't know that we are making enough progress. I don't have time to keep this up much longer.

Arizonah13 01-28-2013 03:41 PM

Just remember that there is no shame in bottle /formula feeding your little one. You just have to do what's best & a stress free mama is good for everyone.

Sent from my phone