Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Helpful for after the birth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485536)

twinpossible 01-26-2013 08:55 AM

Helpful for after the birth

Those of you who homebirthed what was most helpful to have on hand in those first few hours and days? What did you wish you had? I am trying to gather the last bits of my homebirth supplies :)

Bella Catalina 01-26-2013 09:22 AM

Re: Helpful for after the birth

Ibuprofen for the after pains, because they were terrible this time. Extra chux/underpads, as my midwives wanted me in bed and sitting on them rather than using pads as much as possible. Frozen pads (soaked in water or comfrey tea) were amazing those first few days, too. And for sore nipples, those soothie gel pads were awesome (medela and lansinoh make them and one pair lasts up to 72 hours). I wish I'd had them from the start.
Lots of easy, fast snacks, and a big water bottle. The best thing by far is someone to mother YOU and care for your older children. We have no family or friends close by, but DH works from home and really stepped it up so that I could rest/recover that first 7-10 days. There was a huge difference both physically and emotionally in comparison to my last hb, where I was up and about too fast.

~Cricket~ 01-26-2013 11:05 AM

Definitely someone to care for you and your other little ones. DH stayed home for a week, which was wonderful.

As for other stuff.... a peri-bottle for rinsing after peeing, 'cause it really stings! (that was included in my supplies from my midwife though.)

Some easy snacks and meals for the first few days.

I found that Aleve (naproxen) worked WONDERS for my afterpains. You've got to use a slightly higher dose though - my midwife suggested 2 to start, and then 1 every 8 hours after that. Don't take them for too long - I only needed them for 2 or 3 days. Baby #6 and I barely felt a twinge. It was great.

A breast pump, for a one time pump-out to relieve engorgement.

I got some of my all time favorite soap as a treat for after baby was born. It was kind of a silly little thing, but it was so nice to have a shower with that great smell after baby was born. :) Not an essential, obviously, but might be fun to plan for that. My favorite is the Pink Sugary or Oatmeal Milk and Honey handmade goat milk soap from Goat Milk Stuff. (family run business - online - google will find it for you. :) )

All the best for a lovely birth!

twinpossible 01-26-2013 01:47 PM

Thanks ladies! I already have a peri bottle, a breast pump and a bunch of frozen meals. Good advice about the boob pads, I will have to grab some of those. I have heard about herb sit baths that help with healing, anyone have a good one to recommend? Luckily we have a few women who will help with my twins so my hubby and mother can take care of me and new baby :) Anything else?

~Cricket~ 01-26-2013 02:05 PM

My midwives bring an herbal mix for baths, and they recommend putting some in the peri-bottle too. Not sure what's all in it though.... I'll see what I can find out.

If all else fails, salt water is good - just add some sea salt to your bath.

mommycass 01-26-2013 02:52 PM

Not sure what kind of postpartum pads you are using but my midwife recommended using depends undergarments. They were great for the first day or 2. You don't have to worry as much about "leaks".
Lansinoh cream
Clothes that you may want to change into after the birth(I actually hadnt thought of this beforehand), I ended up scrounging for a bra and shirt, lol!
Waters stocked by your bed:)
Any herbs you may want for healing, milk production, etc...

Kiliki 01-26-2013 04:29 PM

peri bottle!

comfortable, loose clothing that I didn't mind guests seeing me in

Fruit. I craved fruit after every birth. I think my body craves it to make my BMs softer and easier to go afterwards :blush: (sry TMI) I always wanted fruit. I will make sure to have it on hand this time. Fresh pineapple, fresh berries, pears, mangoes, etc. mmmmmmmmm :drif:

I wish I had someone who cared enough to do my hair for me. That would have been awesome. There were so many pics taken, I would have loved to have someone who did that for me.