Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How much have you spent on cloth diapers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485638)

greencrunchymama 01-26-2013 03:28 PM

How much have you spent on cloth diapers?

I know a lot of people start doing cloth diapers to save money (I did!) but then the addiction sets in and you have. to. try. everything! How much have to spent on your stash?

ETA: Do you include accessories in your total?

AHASRADA 01-26-2013 03:38 PM

Oh, I don't even want to think about it. Over 2 years, probably $2k-2500 easy. At least I've managed to sell off most of it, but I bought everything new.

greencrunchymama 01-26-2013 03:39 PM

Re: How much have you spent on cloth diapers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHASRADA (Post 16209645)
Oh, I don't even want to think about it. Over 2 years, probably $2k-2500 easy. At least I've managed to sell off most of it, but I bought everything new.

:jawdrop: Did you get sucked into the have to try everything like I did? ;)

Pixi6s 01-26-2013 03:41 PM

To the best of my records we have spent $1500. I didn't keep track of how much I sold stuff for so my estimate based on what I have sold is about $300. I have kept some for #2 as well. Thing like med and infant prefolds, swim diaps, one set of BG for night time I have to reuse (i am refreshing as we speak!). And other inserts and what not.

I didn't have the addiction you speak of, but we did do velcro that I wasn't repairing so I had to replace velcro covers about yearly (grovia ug). My son daytime PL at 2.5 years. We have been struggling big time finding a nighttime trainer for him that works and that has really cost us alot lately (a couple hundred of that honestly, ug). Oh I also prefer to buy new. I have mostly bought FSOT when people are selling stuff they didn't end up using :)

Our stash primarily has been:
- newborn: KL0, thirties duo covers with inserts
- sm: gDiapers cloth inserts & prefolds with the covers above
- med: gDiapers & GroVia & prefolds with bummis
- Lg: GroVia & bummis covers with prefolds
- nightime: BG 3.0/4.0 with mf and Jb hemp
- boy boy trainers: ??

mommyto3sweeties 01-26-2013 03:41 PM

Probably about $650 and those lasted through all three kids. I stuck with what worked, and I saved tons of money. If I get blessed with a fourth child I have a list of new things I'd like to try, so I plan to spend a bit more this time.

flylady0505 01-26-2013 03:55 PM

Spent so far a bit under $500.00 not to bad but sad as this is my last child but I am keeping them in great condition hoping
my daughter will use them on her next baby if not i will sell. So I'm sure I will get something back for them. But I don't really care about the money part just happy to have no rashes.

~*~Sunflower~*~ 01-26-2013 04:14 PM

There is absolutely no way for me to know. When I first started out - 22 years ago - it was chump change. With the next baby it grew a little. The next child was all prefolds & aristocrats, still pretty minimal. THEN, I found the internet & diaper forums. And 10 years agoI had my 4th child. And she had El Bees & Swaddlebees & Fuzbaby & BizzyB's and on & on. (I know there are many of you who have NO CLUE what some of these diapers are! LOL), the next baby I didn't go quite as crazy, but still spent a load. My 6th baby didn't have fancy diapers, but had some sweet wool. And now I am spending crazy amounts on diapers again.

The other day I tried to tell my dh straight faced that I cloth diapered to save $. I am not good at "lying" in general, so my straight face had him seriously confused. he was all - no... you do it to keep chemicals off of the babies. right. no?!? How are you saving money?!? really???!!!

LOL. I actually convinced him I had saved us $! LOL!

(and for the record - I feel really,really stupid for the amount I have spent on diapers & wool. Its stupid & I was falling into it again. I'm selling all but my basic diapers & stopping myself from going insane on wool. It truly is $ down the drain. Even if you have $ to burn, what is the point? People go hungry in our world while I waste $ on fancy poop catchers! sigh....)

august6 01-26-2013 04:33 PM

I've only spent $107 for 14 gD, BM 4.0, and some Diaper Safari's, but then again, I just started buying them two days ago and am only 11 weeks pregnant, haha.

On the other hand, we don't plan on buying anymore until we find out what we are having, and then we'll still keep it pretty minimal (I'll let you know how long that stays true!)

craigwick 01-26-2013 04:40 PM

I would guess it to be somewhere around $1500. Mostly this came about because DD2 outgrew her "onesize" diapers, so a built a small Large sized stash and because she didn't potty train until recently, we had to get some XL too for night time (still use those though!). Now I have added a NB stash and will start to sell stuff off that doesn't work this time around. But, if I had used disposables for 4.5 years with DD2 and with #3 I'm sure it would have cost alot more!

qsefthuko 01-26-2013 04:41 PM

Too much. Definitely more than I planned on.

36 Infant prefolds-$54
4 lanacare smalls,2 medium, 1 large-$185
6 misc wool covers-$60? Not entirely sure here
6 disana wool covers-$120
2 dozen green edge GMD-$70 resold for $55
2 1/2 dozen brown edge GMD $75
2 dozen red edge GMD $60
4 dozen LL-$55-traded 3 dozen for 2 1/2 dozen organic prefolds
9 dozen imagine flats-$135
3 dozen diaperite flats-$45
3 osocozy flats-$5
4 hemp babies flats-$30(not worth it)
6 swaddlebees cotton print flats $10?
3 1/2 dozen hemp jersey wipes-$52.50
2 dozen silk liners-$20
36 misc fitteds-$250

Whatever that adds up to is what I have spent on cloth. I just added that up. It adds up to $1172. You could probably add in about $20-30 for items forgotten. Of course this doesn't count wet bags. I think those add up to $120. A pail $15. We had 2 pail liners but didn't pay for them. They were given to us. We also didn't use them though. So I am glad I didn't pay for those.

So total about $1315 giv or take a few dollars. I did sell some things but haven't a clue what I got for them.

I don't count my yarn for woolies as the are used as my son's clothing. I would also have to try to figure out how much went to pants and shorts and how much went to sweaters, socks, slippers, hats, and gloves. I would then have to subtract how much we would have spent on pants and shorts to begin with and how much I would have spent for other
Hand made items as crochet and more recently knitting are hobbies I have had for around 28 years. If it wasn't spent on yarn for woolies it would have been spent on yarn for blankets, scarves, sweaters, socks, etc.