Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Weight of lo determining vbac success? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485729)

Mcorey41 01-26-2013 07:41 PM

Weight of lo determining vbac success?

Hi ladies,
I went to my gyn for my yearly yesterday. I have a 14 month old that was born via c section. The day I went into labor I had an unexplained fever and was very weak. I wasn't allowed to get an epidural due to the fever (they were afraid of introducing bacteria into my spinal column and risk meningitis). Anyways, I progressed very quickly and proceeded to push for four hours with no progress when the doctor called a c section. my lo was 8 lbs 2 oz.
ffwd to today, we are starting to try for #2 and I really want to vbac. Due to a ban at the hospital I had my 1st at we're going to need a new doctor. My doctor told me that I can try but she thinks the only way ill be successful is if the baby is smaller than 8 lbs 2oz. Thoughts? Has anyone had a doctor tell them this and gone on to prove them wrong?

Liaklong 01-26-2013 08:09 PM

Have you thought about going the midwife route? Usually they are a bit more supportive & really take the time to work with you & discuss options. If you find a practice that delivers in the hospital you'd like, they will have a OB as a back up if any issues arise. I had a VBAC w/ my ds after a traumatic "emergency" c-section & it was amazing! Such a wonderful experience! My ds was so much more alert & eager to nurse & my recovery was quick & didn't hamper my being a mom to my dd once her new little brother arrived. Just surround yourself w/positive support & know this is what our bodies were meant to do! The OB who delivered my 1st was worried about size too, but when I gave birth to my 2nd (who was only 2oz smaller) the midwife was sure that I could have easily birthed my dd vaginally if I would have been given more time (they made me have a section at 30hrs post membrane rupture). My ds was another LONG labor (50+ hrs w/ failed induction-- induced me b/c of diabetes). Honestly though, I would put up w/a week worth of steady contractions to VBAC again. It was so empowering & absolutely spectacular!!!

Go for it mama!! You can do it!! :)

shan1212 01-26-2013 08:54 PM

Re: Weight of lo determining vbac success?

I don't believe my first c-section was necessary -- it was the result of a cascade of unnecessary interventions. Basically I was induced for no reason, baby was malpositioned, I was immobile due to the epidural, and my OB's shift was ending . . .

Anyway, when my DD was born, the OB said, "Whoa! She's huge!" and made a big deal about how it was a good thing we did a c/s with my baby's size, which was 8 lbs even.

Fastforward 2.5 years to the birth of my second child . . . I switched practices after my OB told me at 36 weeks that I was too narrow to have a VBAC. Well, she was wrong! I had a VBAC 4 weeks later, and she weighed half a pound more than my first daughter. But this time I went into labor naturally, and the midwife, nurse, and doula all helped me get the baby positioned correctly and didn't put me on a time table. Also, I was a lot better educated this time around, and had faith that my body was designed to do this.

I do have a weirdly shaped pelvis, that much is true. However, it's rare for a woman to grow a baby that her body can't deliver. My pelvis is oddly flat in the front, and it's narrow when I'm not ready to birth a baby, but by 40 weeks it was "cavernous" in the back, according to the midwife.

DH even ran into my old OB, and she asked specifically how much the baby weighed and seemed surprised I had vaginally delivered a bigger baby.

What you've got in your favor is that you won't have a fever when you deliver this baby (think positive!). I'm sure that contributed to fatigue, and not getting an epidural when you wanted one probably also contributed to your stress.

I have some resentment towards my doctor, but she was really great when I developed a chronic condition during my pregnancy. A lot of people go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for a long time, and she pegged it right away and got me emergency care. I feel like I need to give her props for that. But I suspect that she does a lot of weighing of outcomes, deciding how much effort is worth getting her patients a vaginal delivery, and that in her opinion, if there are any indications for a c/s, then let's just do that.

So your doctor saying that if your next baby is bigger, we'll have to do a c/s . . . that's a measurable goal, right? Well, sort of, because you can't really measure a baby's size before it's born. But it gives her an out to say, oh, sorry, we wanted you to have a VBAC but this baby is measuring too big, sorry. I think she's laying the groundwork to make you get a c/s later, honestly.

Also, after I switched practices at 37 weeks, my new midwife told me to eat low carb to keep the baby from getting super big at the end, so maybe that's something to look into if you want to keep the next baby smaller.

When I was researching my choices, I came to the conclusion that my chances (low transverse scar, single c/s) of a successful vaginal delivery were basically the same as they were with my first pregnancy. And my chances of anything terrible happening from attempting a vaginal delivery were pretty much the same as with my first pregnancy. So that reassured me that I should go into my second L&D with as much confidence as the first time. I know how it can really psych you out to have had a c/s, and suddenly the prospect of popping a baby out of your lady parts seems super crazy. I was totally there. I still say to my husband, "Remember when Alice just popped out?" Ha. I wish it were that easy! But seriously, from what you've shared I can't see any reason why you should fear that a VBAC isn't a possibility for you.

And FWIW, I had an epidural with my VBAC. I was hoping to forgo it because I was worried it had contributed to my c/s, but I really needed it to relax and let my body do its thing. So maybe having that as an option this time will help you.

Good luck! I hope you find a practice that is supportive of your desires. That was the biggest thing for me. If I had stayed with my old doctor, I would have been on the defensive the whole time, trying to read between the lines of everything she said and did to see if it was in my best interest. By switching to a pro-VBAC practice, I had every confidence that if I wound up with a c/s, it was because it was medically necessary. So I had peace no matter what the outcome.

mibarra 01-26-2013 09:26 PM

I don't think there's any harm in trying. If there was a truly medical reason (like baby too big for you, ect) there's a risk of that happening again, but many people have VBACed babies larger than their c-section baby. :)

Mcorey41 01-27-2013 04:56 AM

Thanks ladies! I'm definitely switching practices and hospitals. I'll also get a doula which I think will help in all aspects. Who can say why my lo didn't descend? It very easily could have been her position. All things considered I dialated fully within one hour and had no interventions (until the c section). I labored on my back pretty much the whole time and looking back on it, at my doctors appt the day before I think she may have stripped my membranes (I remember it hurting and thinking wow she was pretty aggressive during the exam. Maybe my lo just wasn't ready! Thanks again ladies for making me feel more confident!

shan1212 01-27-2013 07:12 AM

I bet you're right that she stripped your membranes!

My new practice (midwives working with OBs) doesn't even do internal exams until you're in labor. The midwife made an exception for me because I asked her opinion of my pelvis since my doctor had said it was so terrible, but that was the only check they gave me until I showed up at the hospital at 8cm.

Computermama 01-27-2013 07:32 AM

I honestly think that in the majority of cases, position, both yours and baby's, matters a lot more than baby's size. Obviously there are extremes, rare as it is some women really do grow babies too big for them to deliver naturally, but often times it's not that baby is too big to come out, it's that the presentation is awkward and very difficult to get out, which can be exacerbated by size. I've seen many cases of vbac baby being bigger than the sectioned baby, even when the reason for the section is suspected CPD. I perversely hoped that DD2 was going to be bigger than DD1 was to prove to myself that I could have birthed DD1 naturally if they'd given me a decent chance at it. DD2 was a VBAC but was much smaller than her sister. I had an epi as well - the induction was too much for me at the 22 hour mark, and I needed to calm down and relax.

oregonmom 01-27-2013 09:15 AM

My first was a C-seciton caused by failure to progress (doctor was tired of waiting). He was about 6.5 lbs. My two VBAC boys were both over 9lbs. Having a baby too big to birth naturally is very rare.

mibarra 01-27-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcorey41 (Post 16211628)
Thanks ladies! I'm definitely switching practices and hospitals. I'll also get a doula which I think will help in all aspects. Who can say why my lo didn't descend? It very easily could have been her position. All things considered I dialated fully within one hour and had no interventions (until the c section). I labored on my back pretty much the whole time and looking back on it, at my doctors appt the day before I think she may have stripped my membranes (I remember it hurting and thinking wow she was pretty aggressive during the exam. Maybe my lo just wasn't ready! Thanks again ladies for making me feel more confident!

I had my membranes stripped and delivered successfully by VBAC 24 hours later. Honestly, the exam where they just checked me, and I wasn't ready to go, hurt a lot. When I had my membranes stripped it didn't hurt at all, but I was already dilating. Who knows....

homebirthmom 01-27-2013 09:48 AM

i do not believe weight has anything to do with it as I have helped moms with babies up to 2 1/2 lbs bigger birth at home w no issues. they all took 5W tho (herbal concoction from Natures Sunshine) and they all went really fast.

look for a midwife. they will be more likely to help you acheive your goal :)
I know for a fact the #1 reason there are such a high rate of c sections is due to mismanagement in hospitals. if you let mothers eat, move and do what they wish, those babies WILL COME out, vaginally. but you restrict food, make moms hooked up, lay on backs, give meds... you get stuck babies and exhausted moms w babies heart rates crashing.