Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Trying to be green and frugal with hard water...Help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485790)

bamababies 01-26-2013 10:04 PM

Trying to be green and frugal with hard water...Help!

Ok 2 ??'s Concerning hard water

First off about a year ago I tried to go "no poo", but kept having greasy limp hair...so I gave it up and started using Simply and gud brands of shampoo. I have recently discovered my problem may have been hard water all along. Does anyone have hard water, but have success with "no poo"??

Second I have recently been interested in making my own detergents. I tried homemade dishwasher detergent, but there again had hard water issues :banghead: so went back to using the store bought. I would love to try homemade laundry detergent, but am scared b/c of the hard water. Any success stories? suggestions?

vjbakke 01-27-2013 06:04 PM

Re: Trying to be green and frugal with hard water...Help!

If you have hard water I would not suggest using homemade det. Natural soap does not work well in hard water. In hard water I find that for us Charlies soap works the best. We add vinegar to our rinse aid dispenser. I am going to give Tropical traditions dishwasher det a try.

For you hair have you tried ACV rinses? Hard water leave mineral build up on your skin and hair. I have never tried no poo. We do have a water softener, with out it our water is has hard as it gets. It was down for a while and natural soaps don't work. Unfortunately the more chemical based products just preform better in hard water.

The Fancy Pansy 01-27-2013 06:22 PM

Vinegar is your friend! Put some vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher before starting it, and it will drastically help the hard water issues.

Also, mix 1/2 and 1/2 ACV and use it as a soak/rinse for your hair, and it will help remove the extra gunk. I haven't done no-poo, but I still use the ACV rinse sometimes to help remove any buildup and prevent my scalp eczema flair ups.

happyhats 01-27-2013 06:33 PM

I second fansy pansy on vinegar rinses. I have also used lemon juice. I don't do no poo, but I do use shampoo bars. No plastic bottles, all natural, and I use it for hair and body.

okiemama 01-28-2013 12:27 PM

You could use a bit of calgon in your wash routine I would imagine it would still be frugal with the savings of homemade laundry soap over tide and stuff

bamababies 01-28-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjbakke (Post 16213978)
If you have hard water I would not suggest using homemade det.

That's what I was afraid of. I have never thought to use acv rinses with commercial shampoo. I may have to try that. As for charlie's soap...I have really sensitive skin (as does one of my littles) so I have been afraid to try it. I have heard others with sensitive skin say it didn't work for them.

As for calgon, I can't use that...allergic.

O well I guess I will stick to using my Purex and Cascade...lol. I tried!!

The Fancy Pansy 01-28-2013 02:21 PM

Don't feel too bad. I'm allergic to most natural products too.

NewMommy6111 01-30-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjbakke (Post 16213978)
If you have hard water I would not suggest using homemade det. Natural soap does not work well in hard water. In hard water I find that for us Charlies soap works the best. We add vinegar to our rinse aid dispenser. I am going to give Tropical traditions dishwasher det a try.

For us, Charlie's soap doesn't work at all. Our dipes, unpaper towels, bath towels & socks stink like they haven't been washed at all. We have really hard well water.

judyjudyjudy 02-06-2013 03:02 PM

I have been using a little bit of baking soda and vinegar for my hair once a week. I wet my hair and then sprinkle in some baking soda and mix it through. Then I have a bottle of half vinegar/ half water that I pour a little over and then massage that through and then rinse with water. It has really helped with keeping my scalp clean and I still use shampoo after, but very little. It has made a HUGE difference.

cantwaitfornumber2 02-08-2013 08:42 AM

Just as a curiosity, have u looked at 7th generation products? They go on sale often at target... They just might be a tad better than purex & cascade...

Also has anyone tried bioKleen in their dishwasher? Seems like it might do the trick....