Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Not loving breastfeeding :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1485875)

Arizonah13 01-27-2013 09:48 AM

Not loving breastfeeding :(

With my first daughter, I was so desperate to nurse her, but had a supply issue. My delivery of DD2 was significantly better and my milk came in the next day. We are now 9 weeks into ebfing , LO is getting fussy at the breast -pulling and popping on/off over and over. It's extremely aggravating and I hate that I can't just sit and relax while she eats. Her antics usually start a few minutes after my let down. Sometimes the only way to get her to stay latched is if I get up and walk around while nursing. I thought maybe my supply was skimpy (despite her gaining about an ounce /day) so I started taking fenugreek... I like the obvious boost in supply, but she doesn't behave any differently except she seems to be spitting up more and having wet sounding burps. She used to only spit up 1-2x/week (tiny bit) but now spits up at least once a day (still tiny amount). Could the fenugreek be causing tummy trouble? I can't think of any other changes in my diet. Oh, and because she gets frustrated after my let down, I sometimes have to stop nursing and bounce, walk, etc her long enough to get another let down -about 15 minutes usually (since she'll start crying and refusing to nurse). I've had to repeat this cycle as many as 3 times before she finally starts dozing while nursing (and stopping the fussing and constant on/off business). I'm assuming my let downs are mostly foremilk since her poop starts turning green in relation to her level of patience in the previous day /two. She did all of the above around 5 weeks too (minus the extra spitting up, but I wasn't taking fenugreek then.) Also, after the episode at 5 weeks, it improved a little, but not perfect... Still had some fussing and relatching, just not as constant as it is now. Does anyone have any advice? I see everyone ooh and ahh over how dreamy and wonderful breastfeeding is, but I'm not getting it. I want to enjoy nursing her, but when my nipples are in pain from the constant abuse and I can't even just sit down and breathe while she eats.... It's frustrating to say the least.

Sent from my phone

Tris 01-27-2013 10:04 AM

Re: Not loving breastfeeding :(

If she's popping off, could she just be done? Maybe handpump/express some milk after she pops off the first time and get a little out, and try again?
My letdowns used to be pretty forceful so I assumed they got quite a bit in the first few minutes. I seem to remember if they popped off I'd just assume they were done or had to burp.
I don't know about the fenugreek, I did take it when I was working with my first but both of mine had silent reflux and were a gassy mess.

l_Kimmie_l 01-27-2013 10:09 AM

Fenugreek can cause gas, so it makes sense. Popping off and on is very typical with a forceful let down. Also some babies just do that. No advice as my 9 month old still pops on and off. Your nipples do toughen up though.

Arizonah13 01-27-2013 10:53 AM

I don't think I have a forceful letdown since the pulling and fussing start a minute or two after.... If anything, she seems more impatient that the milk isn't coming as readily. And when she pops off, she starts rooting around so I don't think she's done yet. :-/

Sent from my phone

eliz7 01-27-2013 06:46 PM

Sounds like she might need to be burped? Also have you tried eliminating any foods?
It does get easier and most mamas get to that place you are talking about but it takes a while. This is the hard part. The pay off comes later:) good luck!

Arizonah13 01-27-2013 07:48 PM

I haven't tried eliminating any foods yet.... Where should I start? Dairy? Where should I get calcium if I go that route?

Thanks for advice :)

Sent from my phone

kushie tushie 01-27-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arizonah13 (Post 16214382)
I haven't tried eliminating any foods yet.... Where should I start? Dairy? Where should I get calcium if I go that route?

Thanks for advice :)

Sent from my phone

I would eliminate dairy first. It takes about 3-4 weeks for it to get out of your system. Honestly when I read your OP my first thought was an insensitivity. Good Luck! It does get better :hugs:

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

cdeweese 01-27-2013 08:01 PM

It does sound like she might need to burp. DS did this whenever my supply was regulating (during a growth spurt) and to be honest, I never "loved" breast feeding :blush: It hurt in the beginning and when my cycle started again. But it does get easier and eventually DS was a 5-10 minute nurser (score!!!) So much faster and easier than the bottle ;)

stacieandtheboys 01-27-2013 08:36 PM

This is what my LO did and it was reflux. Like exactly what you described. I also cut out all dairy and it helped a ton with the spitting up

Computermama 01-27-2013 09:52 PM

At that age DD2 used to get very impatient with the ebb and flow of nursing, so after the letdown when she started squirming and seemed about to pop off, I'd do breast compressions to try to keep the flow a little more even, and that seemed to keep her interested. I'd try that for a little bit before attempting an elimination diet.