Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/28-2/1 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486036)

wordbox 01-27-2013 07:27 PM

Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/28-2/1

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area. You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us.

Week #5

Monday 1.28.13: Purge 5 media items (such as DVDs, CDs, VHS tapes, etc.).

Tuesday 1.29.13: Purge 5 items from your dishes and utensils. Don't forget to look at your kids' stuff!

Wednesday 1.30.13: Purge 5 items from your pet supplies. This would also be a good time to take inventory of anything you need to buy for your pets, or to schedule any appointments (vet, grooming, etc.) for your pets.

Thursday 1.31.13: Purge 5 books. Bonus points if they are from your own collection!

Friday 2.1.13: Purge 5 items from your photos or scrapbooking supplies. Frames? Old negatives? Old pictures you'll never care to look at again? This would be a good time to sort though photos that you DO want, to order prints, to clear old memory cards, to frame pictures you want to display, or to start making plans for any photo books or scrapbooks you intend to make this year.

BONUS TASK: Give your front door(s) a good wipe down, and clear off your front porch (sweep and/or shovel, and put away anything that shouldn't be there). It's the first thing people see as they come into your home.

kannondicarpo 01-28-2013 12:33 AM

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/28-2/1

So if you haven't read anywhere we just moved last February from Ohio to Hawaii and brought very little and live in a furnished house. I do not have any of these to purge so this week I'll be focusing on getting a cleaning routine scheduled. I'll will update. :)

wordbox 01-28-2013 10:02 AM

^ That must have been so exciting and freeing!

joeslittlewoman 01-28-2013 10:29 AM

I am going to try to find at least ten DVDs to get rid of since I didn't complete the living room purge last week. (DVDs and diapers are about the only non-furniture items in the living room).

badmisterkitty 01-28-2013 01:56 PM

So if you haven't read anywhere we just moved last February from Ohio to Hawaii and brought very little and live in a furnished house. I do not have any of these to purge so this week I'll be focusing on getting a cleaning routine scheduled. I'll will update.

Awesome!!

joeslittlewoman 01-28-2013 01:58 PM

Got rid of 30 DVD packages (we put ours in binders), and at least 30 scratched DVDs/CDs. Everything is put in the appropriate binder by genre. And stored out of the reach of kids...hopefully. Also have two remotes to give away to family we've given electronics to. No more DVDs in the living room--yay!!

When I do the dishes, ill try to double up as well, as that was the other task I missed past week. I'll be a little embarrassed if I have 10 items since I purged before and during our move, lol.

rawheid 01-28-2013 05:26 PM

I'm having trouble with a pottery tea set that I have. It's beautiful. Medium gray/blue, The colour of my kitchen. BUT, I NEVER use it. The only thing I use is the sugar bowl. YDS cracked the lid, but it could be glued. I know that I should part with it, but it's pretty. I like looking at it, but other times I just think I should let it go.....It's just the tea pot, cream pitcher, sugar bowl and 2 mugs. If I did get rid of it, I'd keep the sugar bowl.

lacroixbaby 01-28-2013 07:47 PM

I might end up finishing all this in one day. The scrapbooking stuff will be the hardest to get rid of. I might look on the humane society page and see what kind of stuff they are in need of and add that to the pet day, then the kids and I can donate a bunch of stuff and have a bonus and look at all the cute animals.

joeslittlewoman 01-29-2013 07:13 AM

In lieu of a pet supply purge, I'm doing a kid stuff purge. Getting rid of our nursery bedding and decor. We didn't really use it with the boys, and we are planning to keep the baby in our room for the first couple years. Also purging a stained pair of sweat pants. Likely more once I go through the last basket.

The boys' outfits are now matched up and put away (they had completely torn up their room the last few days). Removed a lot of sippies/cups and dirty laundry that had been left in there by hubby and the boys. Organized their closet, yet again.

NewMommy6111 01-29-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawheid (Post 16218161)
I'm having trouble with a pottery tea set that I have. It's beautiful. Medium gray/blue, The colour of my kitchen. BUT, I NEVER use it. The only thing I use is the sugar bowl. YDS cracked the lid, but it could be glued. I know that I should part with it, but it's pretty. I like looking at it, but other times I just think I should let it go.....It's just the tea pot, cream pitcher, sugar bowl and 2 mugs. If I did get rid of it, I'd keep the sugar bowl.

You can do it! Pass it on to someone who will use it. :thumbsup: