Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How long after mom eats something is it in the milk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486084)

dericasmom 01-27-2013 08:19 PM

How long after mom eats something is it in the milk?

How long does it take from the time I eat something until it shows up in the milk? I'm trying to figure out what might be the culprit for the below scenario...This evening at bedtime Baby D was fussing at the breast. Sometimes she seems a little impatient when waiting for the milk to let down or sometimes she is just distracted and wiggly...in both those cases I shush her and pat her but and she settles down. Tonight she got progressively fussier and fussier which was unusual, so I took her off the breast to see if she needed to burb which made her cry louder and throw herself toward the breast like she was hungry and wanted to nurse. So I switched sides to see if she would be happier with the other breast - nope, more fussing, so I sat her up again at which point she puked the entire contents of her stomach all over me mmmmmmmm sour thick yucky milk puke... she's never exhibited any food sensitivities before but I'm thinking there must've been something in the milk that upset her. As soon as she puked she was back to her usual smiling happy self.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated, thanks mamas!

mibarra 01-27-2013 08:25 PM

Could be. Could have sucked in too much air from fussing and got gassy. Id write down what you ate that day and see if it happens again :)

dericasmom 01-27-2013 08:31 PM

Re: How long after mom eats something is it in the milk?

Thanks, there were some funky eggs at the hotel breakfast buffet this morning...I'm blaming them!

dericasmom 01-27-2013 09:04 PM

oh and a related question - would you pump and dump? for how long?

Nerissa 01-28-2013 06:43 AM

I wouldn't pump and dump. She could have just gotten too much air and since she was super fussy and then gaged and puked.

does she have a runny/stuffy nose. It could be mucus draigage that upset her tummy.

DD did this to me this weekend but she is sick with upper respitory issues. She was crying, eating, coughing at the same time is not a good combination.

Nerissa 01-28-2013 06:43 AM

dp..

erin_c_odonnell 01-28-2013 06:50 AM

Could be stomach flu?

tibeca 01-28-2013 10:12 AM

My kids have TONS of food allergies. That said, I have NEVER pumped and dumped, regardless of the food I accidentally (or intentionally) eat. Unless you were dealing with anaphylaxis, there's no reason to pump and dump. Your milk, even with allergens/irritants in it, is best for baby.

That said, I would bet that the vomiting had more to do with the fussing, too much milk/air than a true allergy. Vomiting would not have resulted in a happy baby if it was an allergy. They would more likely continue to cry, scream, back arch etc because it would still hurt. They would also continue to do that through the entire night.

Having food allergies myself, i can assure you, even if I vomit, I still fill awful for at least an hour or two.

It generally takes 24 or more hours to clear a food from your system. If you regularly eat eggs without response, the hotel eggs (no matter how gross) would not affect her.