Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can I dye prefolds? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486113)

LuLu03 01-27-2013 10:12 PM

Can I dye prefolds?

So, I'm 4 weeks away from delivery, I have an awesome stash of prefolds (among others) prepped & ready to go. I was sitting in a waiting room with another mommy and she pulled out a PURPLE prefold. It was so pretty!
I immediately started thinking about dying mine - so I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone else has done this. I know, I know. It's meant for poop. But the purple was so cute...I could also do orange...pink...oh my. I'm nesting way too much and I have nothing left to do!!

JulieBeth 01-27-2013 10:20 PM

Re: Can I dye prefolds?

Yes! I dyed prefolds, it's really easy!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...13555509_o.jpg

I actually have the newborn PF's, I have been meaning to list them lol

MothyrGrimm 01-27-2013 11:56 PM

There a few threads recently on the craft chat about them. :) and just to share:

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMAG0266.jpg

rooster2012 01-28-2013 05:17 AM

Ladies, those are GORGEOUS! Does the dye come out in your other dipes in the wash?

FriedaT 01-28-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieBeth
Yes! I dyed prefolds, it's really easy!

I actually have the newborn PF's, I have been meaning to list them lol

How did you get them marbled looking instead of flat color? I've tie dyed flats, but I don't know how well that would work on prefolds.

GMDkaren 01-28-2013 07:14 AM

There is controversy over the safety of it with the concern being that if dyes bleed in high pH conditions the skin would absorb the dye over time. I've called Dylon and they said it's not an acceptable use because of the fabric being wet next to the skin. I was told that it is intended for use on fabrics dry next to the skin, not wet. Perhaps they were just covering their tails. I don't know.

Others have emailed Dylon and been told that since it is fiber-reactive that the bond is permanent to the fiber. Thus it is ok as along as care is taken to fully wash out and unbound dye before using. If you do it, follow the instructions carefully.

This is something for you to consider and make your own decision about.

Some chemically sensitive people (with true MCS disease) can't tolerate commerically dyed underwear so it seems to me that there must be something about even fiber-reactive dyes that do have an effect on some people.

Because we don't know what baby's not-fully-developed central nervous system or liver function will be like, GMD takes the cautious route and doesn't sell dyed-on-the-inside diapers. The only exception is stay-dry polyester fleece. All fleece is dyed, even the white and natural color, so dyes are unavoidable for those kinds of products. I've never seen a poly fleece run in the wash, even when brand new, so I am hopeful that it is fully safe.

JulieBeth 01-28-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedaT (Post 16215342)
How did you get them marbled looking instead of flat color? I've tie dyed flats, but I don't know how well that would work on prefolds.

Completely on accident. I left the yellow and green overnight because I wanted them really vibrant, and that is what happened. :giggle2:

AnimalHouse 01-28-2013 10:42 AM

I would love some dyed flats, but I'm too scared :giggle:.

LuLu03 01-28-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDkaren (Post 16215526)
There is controversy over the safety of it with the concern being that if dyes bleed in high pH conditions the skin would absorb the dye over time. I've called Dylon and they said it's not an acceptable use because of the fabric being wet next to the skin. I was told that it is intended for use on fabrics dry next to the skin, not wet. Perhaps they were just covering their tails. I don't know.

Others have emailed Dylon and been told that since it is fiber-reactive that the bond is permanent to the fiber. Thus it is ok as along as care is taken to fully wash out and unbound dye before using. If you do it, follow the instructions carefully.

This is something for you to consider and make your own decision about.

Some chemically sensitive people (with true MCS disease) can't tolerate commerically dyed underwear so it seems to me that there must be something about even fiber-reactive dyes that do have an effect on some people.

Because we don't know what baby's not-fully-developed central nervous system or liver function will be like, GMD takes the cautious route and doesn't sell dyed-on-the-inside diapers. The only exception is stay-dry polyester fleece. All fleece is dyed, even the white and natural color, so dyes are unavoidable for those kinds of products. I've never seen a poly fleece run in the wash, even when brand new, so I am hopeful that it is fully safe.

That makes sense. I figured there was probably a good reason I don't see it around...guess I'll just stick with pretty covers!!

Minniebees 01-29-2013 05:22 AM

First of all, don't use Dylon, it's not a good dye. and of course they will tell you not to use it on babies, it's a CYA thing. How do regular diapers get to be anything but cream or white? They're dyed.

Secondly, you should always make sure that all the dye is completely rinsed out before you use it. However, once pro-chem and Dharma dyes are mixed with water, they become inert. They are dangerous in powder form, so I use a mask when dyeing, but once mixed with water they're fine. In addition, during the dyeing process the dye completely bonds to the plant fiber, so there is no dye in the garment. It becomes a part of the fiber of the fabric and it doesn't just come off. Unlike wool, where the dye can release from the fabric under the right conditions.

If you want every single piece of fabric that touches your baby to be undyed, that's perfectly fine. :) But all colored fabric is dyed, and the chemical processes used are pretty much the same. If you worry, use a high quality dye like Dharma's or Pro Chem. I've been dyeing for years, and those are the dyes I use. Never a problem. :) I dyed some fitteds over the weekend as a matter of fact.

Dharma has some great tutorials if you are interested in learning to dye. There's also some up on craft chat I'm sure if you search. GL. :)