Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Where the heck does the 6-week dairy figure come from (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486150)

aaiya 01-28-2013 04:14 AM

Where the heck does the 6-week dairy figure come from

I have often seen it mentioned that dairy will stay around in your breast milk for up to 6 weeks. Heck, I've even told people that on here and in person. But does anybody have any hard evidence to back that up? I wonder sometimes if that's just a number someone threw out sometime that's now being passed around the internet as fact (kind of like the 8 glasses of water a day thing). Having done the dairy-free thing for two previous nurslings, I'm not overly thrilled about doing it again...though of course I will if necessary. I'm due with baby #3 in March and am trying to decide exactly when to cut dairy (or whether or not to just wait and see how *this* little one responds to it).

Nerissa 01-28-2013 06:40 AM

Re: Where the heck does the 6-week dairy figure come from

I have wondered the same thing. I really don't see how if you go completely dairy free (even hidden dairy) how it can stay in your milk for 6 weeks. Just doesnt' seem possible.

However, there is a lot of hidden dairy or dairy in very small amounts in some foods so I can see how someone would think they are cutting out dairy but really not.

l_Kimmie_l 01-28-2013 06:48 AM

I stopped dairy at 6 months pregnant with baby #4. I figured it was easier to get used to the diet again without an in pain, screaming baby. It worked for us and I found out that my baby was not dairy sensitve after I had some cheese one day. He never reacted. I do not know if not exposing him to lots of dairy inutero helped or not.

l_Kimmie_l 01-28-2013 06:49 AM

I stopped dairy at 6 months pregnant with baby #4. I figured it was easier to get used to the diet again without an in pain, screaming baby. It worked for us and I found out that my baby was not dairy sensitve after I had some cheese one day. He never reacted. I do not know if not exposing him to lots of dairy inutero helped or not.

Tris 01-28-2013 10:22 AM

I generally go by kellymom for a source, she says 3 weeks. The reason is dairy protiens go to your kidneys and you have to wait for them to be filtered out.
http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...d-sensitivity/

tibeca 01-28-2013 10:29 AM

So, here's the science:
From Estep and Kulczicki (2000) (from my Breastfeeding and Human Lactation Textbook). Bovine IgG antibodies(the antibody that causes the allergic reaction) has a long half life and takes a long time to clear the blood, approximately 2-4 weeks (depending on the persons weight and intake). So it will take 2-4 weeks to clear the blood of the mother. Until the mother's blood is clear, the baby is still ingesting Bovine IgG and therefore cannot clear it from their own bodies. Another 2-4 weeks to clear the blood of the baby and a simple "average" is 6 weeks total with a range of 4-8 weeks depending on whether the mother completely eliminated all dairy (including "hidden dairy") and previous quantities eaten.

That said, I have had a baby that had a dairy sensitivity (she has since outgrown it). Very small amounts of dairy would leave her fussy for 2-3 days. That said, I couldn't possibly see what was going on inside her body to know how long it took to completely clear her system.

Another thing, having had 3 nurslings all with food allergies, I have found they didn't all have the same food sensitivities. My first 2 were fine with dairy. All 3 have had problems with corn, soy and beef. The first 2 had problems with strawberries, raspberries, etc but the 3rd was fine from birth. The 2nd has problems with stone fruit, but the others don't. The list goes on and on. Personally, I eat whatever I want when pregnant. I follow my body's signals and eat what it tells me to because I believe my body knows what is best for me (assuming I ignore the signs to eat a gallon of chocolate ice cream). I always go into each birth hoping that this baby won't cause me problems, that they won't care what I eat. So far it hasn't worked. Perhaps with the next one i will limit some of my foods. That said, unless you only drink water, there's a chance that the food you love will be on the "list" of things your baby hates. There are no "safe" allergy free foods.

keonli 01-28-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16216391)
I generally go by kellymom for a source, she says 3 weeks. The reason is dairy protiens go to your kidneys and you have to wait for them to be filtered out.
http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...d-sensitivity/

And my pedi told me 2 weeks. I noticed after a week and a half that my DD was doing much better once I stopped dairy. I noticed that she was passing less stinky gas and less fussy at night.

Connor 01-28-2013 12:03 PM

Yep, I've always seen and repeated 21 days.