Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What is average resale value of CDs? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1486186)

LJSquishy 01-28-2013 10:04 AM

What is average resale value of CDs?

I'm new here, hi!

I was wondering what the average resale value is on a CD stash that is kept in EUC or GUC. I know it depends on the brands, materials, etc but I'm realizing that unlike most other used items (not baby items but general used items on Craigslist etc) that sell for 50% of the original price, CDs seem to hold most of their value. Is this accurate?

I'm researching the type of stash I would build -- most likely orange GMD prefolds, a few GMD NB Workhorses, Thirsties Duo covers, a couple of other covers, and eventually a OS stash of BGEs and/or 4.0s. Depending on resale value, I might build my stash differently or with a higher quantity knowing that my initial investment would be higher but after selling I would recoup most of that. Would you say resale value is approximately 80% on average?

I am not currently pregnant. My husband and I have been TTC on and off for 6 1/2 years with infertility help. We conceived twice (once on Clomid, once naturally) but both ended in miscarriage at 6 weeks. We are just now starting to try again and researching all of this gives me hope and makes me happy. :)

Thank you for your knowledge!

Tris 01-28-2013 10:10 AM

Re: What is average resale value of CDs?

Depends highly on the brand. Those that are regularly easy to buy, I'd say 50% + shipping. But I also think there is a balance, I'm willing to pay half plus shipping for a GUC diaper, I'm certainly not going to pay 80% plus shipping ( or even minus shipping) for a diaper I can buy new for only a tiny bit more or even wait for a sale on so it's about the same.
Those diapers that are stalked, well mamas pay a lot of money for them, usually rarely use them because who can stand for $$$ to be pooped on, and then try to recoup as much of it as they can. Sometimes it works.
Your best bet is going in with the mindset that you will find something that works, it's better for the babe than sposies, and in the end you may be able to recoup some of your money as a bonus. I wouldn't consider 99% of diapers to be an investment.

March 01-28-2013 10:13 AM

I've seen things go for up to 80% of retail in some markets! Depends on how seasoned your buying audience is, I think. Experienced CD FSOTers won't usually offer more than 50% except for newborn diapers, which usually go for upwards of 65%.

I've also sold hard-to-find items that I didn't even know I was sitting on for a lot of money. I bought a Sustainablebabyish interlock soaker at a garage sale for $10, used it for a year, and tried to give it away to someone who let me know that it was probably a hard to find color and year. I contacted an Sbish expert and got pricing help and ended up selling for $100. After I sold it, I got an offer for $150. I mean, what? It was so dingy-looking, too. That sale bought a good chunk of my newborn stash this time around. :)

LJSquishy 01-28-2013 10:20 AM

Great, thank you! I figured 80% was high, but it seems like I see a lot of FSOT listings that are very high. It makes sense that NB diapers go for more because they are in them for a much shorter amount of time. :) Any resale value is great when you think about it vs using disposables! I lean toward getting a nicer stash that I will love using rather than just getting the basics to get by. We would only be having 1 child so resale value is a consideration for us since we wouldn't be reusing them for siblings. I think either way, CDing is the way to go!

nonipie 01-28-2013 10:24 AM

I've seen people expect to recoup quite a bit on an expensive stash and end up very disappointed. I would not ever pay 80% for used diapers. What you have listed, while great diapers, are very readily available. After 2 years of use that BGE would have to look near perfect to expect close to purchase price. Unless it's a highly sought after "trendy" diaper I would say 50% maybe, for EUC is fair. Even with the trendy diapers you are betting on them being just as hot when you're done with them and they may not be. For me I don't ever buy anything thinking about selling them. Does it work? Does it fit my needs? If so great. Even if I only sell it for a few dollars that's more than I would get for a used sposie!

March 01-28-2013 10:25 AM

Good luck with your TTC adventure. I hope it happens for you soon and that pregnancy is a healthy and joyful experience. :)

craigwick 01-28-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie (Post 16216119)
For me I don't ever buy anything thinking about selling them. Does it work? Does it fit my needs? If so great. Even if I only sell it for a few dollars that's more than I would get for a used sposie!

I do the same, with the exception of the NB stash I just built, which I hope to recoup a bit more from. Really, if I can sell off my OS, L, and XL stashes for $5 a diaper I would be happy. I'm sure that is all they will be worth (if that) by the time #3 is done with them.

AZmommy 01-28-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie (Post 16216119)
I've seen people expect to recoup quite a bit on an expensive stash and end up very disappointed. I would not ever pay 80% for used diapers. What you have listed, while great diapers, are very readily available. After 2 years of use that BGE would have to look near perfect to expect close to purchase price. Unless it's a highly sought after "trendy" diaper I would say 50% maybe, for EUC is fair. Even with the trendy diapers you are betting on them being just as hot when you're done with them and they may not be. For me I don't ever buy anything thinking about selling them. Does it work? Does it fit my needs? If so great. Even if I only sell it for a few dollars that's more than I would get for a used sposie!

This honestly Ive sold most of my stuff for about 70-75% off the orginal price and in very good to very excellent condtion. I still think its fine when I sell I want to sell fast and mostly just want them re-homed

Deanna

March 01-28-2013 10:47 AM

Plenty of people do pay 75-80% of retail, especially on CL and eBay. DiaperSwappers, not so much, unless it's one of the beloved brands (that I find aren't necessarily so beloved in other markets). It really just depends on your buying market.

LJSquishy 01-28-2013 11:00 AM

You have all been very helpful! Thank you! I have been looking at all of the different posts here on DS for a week or so and I am in shock at how much knowledge and information everyone shares here. It's wonderful. :)

I seem to frequently see the NB GMD Workhorses on FSOT for $5ea but I'm not understanding how that is a "good" price for used. They are only $5.50ea + $6.95 shipping (for any quantity) directly from GMD for brand new. Maybe I'm missing something. I certainly have a lot to learn!

I will just go with the expectation that whatever stash I do purchase will be for myself to enjoy, and if down the road I am able to recoup any of the cost it is just an added bonus. My main reason for wanting to CD is for environmental reasons.